Rage Tanking: Loadout & Mods - Odyssey

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Cold Fuzion, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Lucaefor New Player

Was reading the tanking threads and sure I read that with the ht mod you can get up to 80% mitigation from the standard 75% cap. The other thing that makes it hard to determine/test is not knowing exactly how much defense a boss is ignoring and how they are doing it either via absolute values or percentages.

Going down the math route you get 1% mitigation for 71 defense which is 71*75=5235 defense to hit the cap. If this is correct then apparently while blocking (+5000 defense) you would hit the cap with just 235 defense, which is crazy talk. So yeah I agree there's probably a lot more to it that the in-game information we are provided with.
  2. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Aye we know armor penetration is a function that will ignore a percentage of your defense. What % it is though /shrug. But it's high enough to make 15000 defense not the cap so /shrug.

And yes the cap does raise to 80% while blocked with the mod.
  3. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

I get a triple to man just depends what im doing. If i rush into a room with ads i use rage bringer clipped with SP then as they get pulled in i juggle them with violence that way the don't even get a chance to hit me then i use WM and knock them around again. In boss fights is where i use violence then clip with SP to get back to block faster, but in boss fights it don't matter if i use 3 powers in a row cause im always using a pull in between so i always have a good buff.

We play more casual anymore, we've been there done that on the lets see how fast we can do it stuff we just chill and have a good time.
  4. TheRealDeathern New Player

If you have a rage dps and a rage tank playing together, if the dps uses gailing eruption and covers the ground in red, does/can the tank use that to help keep from rage crashing or does the power have to come from the tank to count?

?!?!? :rolleyes:
  5. Cold Fuzion New Player

I appreciate the feedback regarding tank specs there are some unique insights with modding gear.

Lucaefor - I've had many chats about the use of restoration with kris and i do agree it is currently more useful in shield regen than a self heal build. That being said i don't think restoration is useless just less important in some tank builds.

Oman, was previously a fire tank, that's why Res/health were in the yellow sockets - could not be bothered to farm exos during my change to rage. However, i did state in the video different ways you could mod those sockets. You can be flexible with the yellow sockets...I used to spec into Dom/Pow myself but the 96+ does not justify the current power usage with vendor gear and the 8 Man ops.

To elaborate more on the yellow sockets, some tanks are using health and dominance because the socket affinity is far less than the actual mod, but that should not stop tanks taking advantage of the socket affinity altogether. Indeed, why not spec into the yellow socket that as dominance with dom/power, and use dom/health in the other.

I don't think specing into restoration was a bad idea at all - I felt comfortable enough with 1300+ dominance while doing both raids and it did provide a nice self heal, not the greatest, but helped towards rage crash and having survivability while knocked on my butt :D Of course, this build is subject to change, I'm aware of that, but my methods of specing into all T1 Innates will remains the same.
  6. Cold Fuzion New Player

I'm curious jeeb do your tanks use Phase Dodge?
  7. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Some do, I don't. I think at this point most of our guys are acro (jumping with acro is so much nicer).
    • Like x 1
  8. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Yeah it's just nice having the extra stack right off the bat ;)

We have more fun going for challenges than just blowing through content. But we do spend probably the majority of time playing just chatting up and messing around. We just would rather go for a speed run than trod along and get an easy win. At this point it's getting tough to find the challenges.
  9. TheRealDeathern New Player

Are powers inter-changable between tanks and dps? If a dps covers the ground in red oooze for example, and the tank stands in it, will it help mitigate rage? Likewise, if a tank covers the ground in red ooze, do the rage dps benefit from it?
  10. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

For a challenge or more of a pain we mess with each other. The other day last boss A&B everyone stopped playing in the last boss about half health and we made the troll, tank and healer finish off the 2 bosses.. took them a bit but the funniest part was we stood in the room with them and just watched lol

And you don't need an extra stack on mobs if they can't even hit you.
  11. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

LOL, yeah one of our tanks runs with clownbox on his loadout just for fun. Never know when he's gonna be "welp, GL guys!":D
  12. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

lmao!
  13. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Been curious on that as well, haven't tested yet though. I know you have stacking issues on the damage, but does the power add mitigation to all rage players? Or is it something only the tank version adds, and if so does it add it to the DPS too or only himself? /shrug good questions.
  14. TheRealDeathern New Player

I've been wondering about it since the power was released. IF the mitigation worked regardless of who casted it, then the more rage players you had in an instance, the more likely that damage in would get mitigated.
  15. Lucaefor New Player

Well yeah not being negative about it and I'm sure a lot of folks would criticise me for not putting dom/health in my yellow slots as well. Mainly that's because I only have one set of CR90 armour at the moment so it has to be more utility orientated and as fire tank I pretty much have enough health already; the difference between 16100 and 16300 health isn't that significant.

Skill points are never a waste as no stats are really useless (except dominance to non-tanks..not going there with that discussion atm tho) however I still think you would get more out of T2 Dom or Heath than resto...

Early days still and I'm aware Rage tanks have been designed to be a little different to the classic pull and block tanking, it's easily possible you might come back in a few months time and tell us to spec into precision instead.
  16. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

galling interruption is not a rage cancelling power, so it wouldn't prevent you from rage crashing to begin with. but yes, the tank can feed off of a dps' use of galling eruption to minimize the effects of rage crash if it happens.
  17. Grid Ion Committed Player

He almost went down a couple of times in Paradox...IMO rage is a very challenging tank power. Skill truly matters here.
  18. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Just wanted to throw this up.

Since the change in reuse we have to change how we rage crash block.

It use to be 7-9 oclock, now it's more like 8-10oclock.

You actually rage crash right at the end of the thicker blast line on SP . So basically 10oclock, you're crashing.

here's a quick picture, you crash at the white line, and should be able to hit a crash prevention at the green line and have it last long enough.

[IMG]
  19. BigAl Devoted Player

Didn't watch the video (I'm assuming no girls in bikinis, so I didn't tune in :p), but I saw people talking about SP and mods. The SP spent should go to Dom then HP then Def then Resto. As far as mods go, I use Dom/Power in my yellows, Dom/Prec in my reds, and Dom/HP in my blues.
    Loadout is similar to what Jeebie shows, but as flight, I have added Airburst for added breakout and the power gain over time. (A league mate brought this to my attention for CC assistance.) So I have Ire for breakout/heals and Airburst for breakout/POT.
  20. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

I use to use launching roll, but i don't know, it just seemed like i'd break out only to be cced instantly again. Where the power breakouts like Ire, and PVP trinket, seem to give me a few seconds of resistance. /shrug. I use to use it but I stopped because of that. Still would suggest people give it a try if they haven't ever used it, but personally it was funky... do you ever have the same issues? Should I give it a whirl again?