Please Update Rage's 35% Finisher

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by ShadowTheHunter, Aug 13, 2016.

1. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

In my opinion, Rage DPS is actually very good in PvE up to Alerts because that's the content where a full melee loadout is viable. However, even though the damage from melee loadout is good it's still not top tier in DPS. I think that's a tough sell considering the unique risk the Rage DPS must take. Relevant tier raids are where Rage isn't very viable where damage received is too high to justify a melee loadout.

Updating Eviscerate will instantly buff melee DPS in PvE. Other things I think could work would be making Revenge work with the PI or reducing Outrage's cooldown so as to clip with Eviscerating Chain.
  2. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Bump.

Now that the devs have given some recognition to some of the issues of other powers, this issue (which was not resolved in Rage's midrange update) also needs some recognition.
  3. Absolix Loyal Player

In PvE, there isn't a single power that can currently use an execute without completely dropping AM damage, and using the executes over the AMs ends up losing Dps even on single targets. So, executes aren't necessary for PvE.

In PvP executes are more useful, but Rage has some unique aspects other powers don't, most notably Relentless Anger. Th is power is unique in that it increases weapon damage, but not by increasing precision. With both Bloodlust and Ferocity active, you can hit the Precision cap for Dos, but since Relentless Amger doesn't increase your Precision it allows a player to increase their weapon damage even further, beyond what any other power can, baring HL's currently unbalanced safe damage, can do. This is also made more useful by the fact that it is burst damage that makes it more difficult to heal through. Actually with Berserk, Rage has possibly some of the best burst damage available even without an execute. So there is even any need for it in PvP either, especially since messing with Eviscerating Chain would mess with Rage's best single target weapon combo clip.
  4. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Talking strictly PvP, I would agree that Rage's burst damage makes it a viable DPS in Arenas, however I don't think that makes up for its lack of a proper finisher.

Relentless Anger only deals a portion of outgoing Rage combo and weapon damage, and even that portion is reduced further for balance in Arenas, amounting to negligible benefit in damage. Ferocity's duration is too short to compare it to Bloodlust, which is an excellent buff for sustained DPS. Add that to Ferocity usually only being used as a breakout and considering its power cost, I personally wouldn't consider it a huge boon. As for Berserk, its 50% SC cost is significant, and on the occasions that I've tested it, didn't even fully charge in some 1v1 Arena runs (I can't speak for group content), which is why I would suspect it remains absent from many Rage DPS Arena loadouts. A finisher that can be cast multiple times throughout an encounter cannot be compared to a 50% SC in my opinion.

Again I don't think Rage's damage in PvP is lacking, and I recognize that buffing E-Chain as it is currently would make Rage OP. That is why I suggested in my original post that Rage could have Eviscerate, the AoE-blockable combo buffed, or as Grand Shaw originally suggested, make Channel Hate a finisher. However, Fire, Munitions, Celestial, and Hard Light are all very viable contenders in damage (arguably OP) yet are also all equipped with 9K finishers. That said, it doesn't make sense to me why Rage is slighted in this way.
  5. Absolix Loyal Player

Relentless Anger deals damage equal to 20% of the weapon damage done during it's duration. The duration is 8 seconds and the cooldown is 10 seconds, so there is a maximum 80% up time. Compared to Bloodlust which has 15% Precision increase, which does not actually increase the weapon Dps from your weapon, meaning it is not actually a 15% increase to weapon damage. Considering if you average Relentless Anger's damage to consider the 80% up time it is 16% increase to weapon damage, it is a self-buff that is stronger than Bloodlust that happens to self-heal as a side effect, although that is hardly the reason to use it as a Rage Dps.

I brought up Ferocity to point out that it would hit the Precision cap and would have part of it's effect mitigated by it. it wasn't meant to say that it is as good as Bloodlust, but to point out that Relentless Anger doesn't have that issue.

I typically get at least 2 50% supecharges in all arena match sizes. If you are ignoring barrels you are losing supercharge granted by them.

Rage as it currently is, is balanced. There is no need to buff something to be stronger than balanced. It would be undoing the goal of creating balance for PvP, which player's have already been waiting for a good update to try to actually improve the current balance state.
    • Like x 1
  6. Nicolas Gallardo Committed Player

It may be balanced but to get that damage you need to use your hole loadout... besides you are vulnerable to interrupt. I mean i dont wanna talk about all the issues that rage has... we all know them. I may agree Rage dmg is fine, but not the power itself
  7. Absolix Loyal Player

Eviscerating Chain, Galling Eruption, Bloodlust, and Relentless Anger.

The core of how Rage works best in PvP right now is summed up in 4 powers. There is even room for Robot Sidekick for damage splitting, and a supercharge, emost likely Berserk or a power return one for any healers on your team. That is pretty much how most powers loadouts look currently.
  8. Nicolas Gallardo Committed Player

So you are saying, that i can let revenge out, and use a super insted? And only use out + E.chain?
  9. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Perhaps we may agree to disagree. I would agree that Rage is completely balanced in PvP if the 35% finisher weren't a part of the picture.

Rage isn't the only powerset in PvP capable of excellent burst damage. Against an opponent with good burst, and a proper finisher (pick any of the other midrange powers I already mentioned) it doesn't seem like true balance to me that at 35% health, that opponent only needs to counter once and use a single ability to kill the Rage DPS, while the Rage DPS still needs to score multiple counters to finish the job.

At this rate, Rage will be the only powerset that will need to do this.
  10. Absolix Loyal Player

No, Rage will on average do 16% more damage from weapon combos on top of having the same single target burst other powers have. Eviscerating Chain has the same base damage as Fire's Detonate, Ice's Frost Snipe, Atomic's Particle Beam, etc. Powers like Quantum, Electricity, and Nature don't even get single target PI burst powers like that.

Rage gets more damage when enemies are above 35% health than other powers, in exchange for not having as strong of an execute. It is perfectly fine as is, and does not remotely warrant the use of time and resources best used improving PvP in one of several much needed areas.
    • Like x 1
  11. Absolix Loyal Player

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

In PvP you typically want single target powers, so that you can avoid splitting damage which will net you kills faster. In matches against healers this becomes even more pronounced, since healing doesn't split, like AoE damage does.

For this reason you typically want a power that sets up a PI, Galling Eruption, and a single target power that takes advantage of said PI. Eviscerating Chain happens to be the only such power as Revenge and Outrage are both AoE.

In things like 1v1s where you are not likely to encounter enough enemies to make damage splitting an issue you could switch out Eviscerating Chain for Outrage, but you would never really need to have both in a loadout at the same time.