Paradox Wave (Raid) Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by DizzyKraken, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHUSHHH Well-Known Player

shut that **** up i know the basics i beat these raids with my league im cr100 just like 2 pieces left to be cr101 i havent play in 2 months to get them but these raids are difficult not everyone lives like u and spend everyday in a game remember that.
    • Like x 4
  2. Decree New Player

Well if they have a high level friend or league then they will learn from them.

I'm talking about people acting like a fresh level 30 that doesn't even know the difference between pve and pvp gear and doesn't know anything about the tier system getting to t5 in a day. It doesn't happen.
    • Like x 1
  3. Stamen Dedicated Player

Great post and thanks for trying to bring some encouragement into such a dim topic.

But let's be real honest... people are beating Epic Odyssey for exactly the reasons you describe... not because they've adapted to a mechanic, but because they've found ways to avoid it altogether. What does that really say about this raid?

Even tanking the raid has been mostly reduced to a gimmick of pinning a sub-boss beside a pillar... plunking a sub-boss and running to the other side of the map... and/or positioning a sacrificial lamb to receive the bubble of death one-shot... stacking inordinate power-dumpers or dps in the hope of getting enough burn on the sub-boss at the expense of 2nd healer... the laundry list could go on for days.

No one with a sane mind can honestly say this is how Paradox Wave was intended to be played. These are WORK-AROUND'S that trial and error have proven effective. They are not glitches or cheats --- but they are definitely employed to AVOID A PROGRAMMED MECHANIC that was unleashed in a most perverted fashion upon an unsuspecting player community, a majority of whom gave up trying to complete it regularly and with honesty -- and proceeded to develop full blown glitches like the clown-box.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad these legitimate ways of beating this content have been discovered and popularized. But seriously? Is this what it's going to come down to for DCUO? Having developers find unique ways to torture the player base while players find interesting ways to totally AVOID what they programmed?
    • Like x 6
  4. thenewkidd New Player

The funny thing is I have watched that vary video..
    I think most of my league has to...

It's easier said than done.. and I know it's hard to explain to someone who can beat the raid no problem as they are the ones that post the videos and tutorials.. then a joe schmoe like me SEES it done and trys to put it into practice... it just doesn't happen.

and it's unfortunate that the small percent that can beat this raid cannot see that.. all they do is point out the same things over and over again.. "move when they charge" well.. if it's that simple... no one can tell me why more people cannot beat this raid?

I would love to see some real stats..

How many times the raid has been beaten vs attempted and what was the group make up?
    How many were leagues and how many were pugs?
    • Like x 1
  5. ObsidianChillSucks New Player

Quote from the developer who designed Paradox Wave from the base code up in regards to Pillar Tanking. There is a reason why leagues referred to as the 1% don't have issues seamlessly going through EO, its because we are the ones developing strategies and putting them into practice in the hope that other groups can master them to succeed where they may have previously failed. We didn't keep pillar tanking a secret, once myself and Herc had our videos out for EO several leagues followed shortly using Pillar Tanking and it exploded as the new norm. "SOME" people thought it was exploiting etc etc but that is in the past.
  6. StopPerving Dedicated Player

And it is indeed a valid strategy. It is still dangerous to pillar tank. Moreso as Ice. One mistimed shield and the group better be awesome at 1) instantly reacting to dodge, and 2) picking the tank up. Just because the group isn't dodging as much doesn't mean it's risk free.
  7. Supremo BR Well-Known Player

I have just tested Nexus and Paradox and that happened after what devs called refined adjustments.

I have been completing Nexus for many months now and Paradox as well. I have also completed epic odissey arouund ten times.

I must say that nexus will still be able to wipe pugs through out the entire raid. Although I have noticed that mobs and bosses hit with less intensity and have lower hp, the aoe's and hit kills are still able to do their jobs. I would also say that nexus is still harder than all other T4 raids and when i say that i am taking into consideration the tier difference. Nexus is proportionally harder.

About paradox i must say that the difference is smaller. I have not noticed any diference considering the mobs damage output although i think that they die faster. Bosses die faster and hit softer, but will still wipe. The sparks are there and will bug you as usual. Tyrant will send healers and tanks to jail, which is, in my opinion, a huge pain in the @$$. Epic odissey will still be hard to accomplish but i am guessing that you won't need 3 OP dps. You will be able to accomplish epic odissey with 3 beast dps and i still don't think that average dps will be able to handle it. Paradox will be fairly defeatable with one mini up by a huge playerbase i'd say without many wipes. If you wanna try EO id say pick players carefully and don't just take any dps.

If u wanna close all tunnels i think Paradox will be easier than nexus but if u wanna leave 2 minis up, it will still be hard for groups to accomplish.

I was honestly hoping for a bigger nerf concerning EO but undoubdtedly much more ppl will be able to get it if u mix good players with noobs, just not that many noobs in a singela raid.
    • Like x 4
  8. Supremo BR Well-Known Player

I agree with Stamen when he criticizes the pinning, tagging and etc., in my opinion it squeezes the fun out of the game, i'd rather dodge, block/roll, jump, move around you know, but that is not viable anymore, it will simply get you kicked out of the raid and get you labeled as noob, which is really sad, imo.
    • Like x 2
  9. Death Throe New Player

Isn't this a glitch or glitching the mob?

Edit: I see this has already been debated. Is this a tactic or a glitch? Has any staff chimed in to verify if this intended or not? Tagging seems so glitchy to me. Playing peek-a-boo with a boss should not really be a viable tactic.
  10. Lodar Monak Active Player

Thanks for the feedback, I assumed as much and didn't believe that major mechanic changes would be implemented. It is still up to the player to be aware of role and encounter mechanics when raiding. The changes should make the raids more forgiving for those having trouble and easier for those who aren't.
  11. Stamen Dedicated Player

Isn't that precisely why I followed the section you quoted with this very line:

It doesn't change the fact that it is a gimmick designed to work around a programmed mechanic. The sub-bosses are programmed to charge (or jump). Pinning is gimmick, or a work around, what was programmed into the code. Just a quick little lesson in basic human psychology: If you were the guy who designed a sub-boss to charge the furthest person away & four months later no one was beating the raid you designed, you would say pinning it was legit too.

Let's stop blowing smoke about all this. There is no way that this raid is working as intended... especially not when we were made to believe that the two tank raid group was making a come-back. And DEFINATELY NOT now that we have been reduced to SOLO HEALER runs.

The community is creative in the way solutions are applied, but that in no way means these were the solutions the developers intended. They are merely the product of a player community with considerable more creativity than they imagined.
    • Like x 4
  12. godonfire Active Player

Maybe... but I can almost guarantee you that if you shouted in LFG for a healer and I responded, as soon as I told you that I had never run it before either you or at least one of the people in there already would want me to leave the group.
    ......................SO TRUE........................
  13. godonfire Active Player

Your fallacy is thinking because someone cannot complete Dox, they don't know how to play the game or their role... and that is false beyond everything being said in here.

LIKE I SAID a lot of kids and grownups peoples lacking on they real task and responsibility in life just because a online game gear competition wow that's really sad and to be honest I don't blame the customers I blame the game it self because for you to progress in this type of game u need to be able to spend a huge amount of hrs and real life money and to be clear on this point of view about dcuo I need to say that money is really not a problem in my case but the hrs I need to spend are just killing me lol
    • Like x 1
  14. Lodar Monak Active Player

Not all groups are like this. If you listen and learn you can pick it up fast.
  15. godonfire Active Player

If you listen and learn you can pick it up fast? wtf are u talking about so u think I'm a noob? after 2 years and 6 months playing dcuo what I need to learn?
  16. Clutch Committed Player

Someone can have experience and still be a noob.
  17. Lodar Monak Active Player

I don't even know how to respond. You sound like you got the game for your 12th birthday.
    • Like x 1
  18. Magical Reset Committed Player

:eek: Holy bad writing Batman! o_O What are you trying to convey? :confused:
    • Like x 1
  19. Liongale Dedicated Player

This has been my greatest concern about what has been considered challenging content, and I'm quoting you in thanks to repeat it for putting it in such fine words.

If all the players- even players I've seem claim they want a challenge or call this easy- use such workaround tactics, then it really makes it all moot.

When our abilities have to be removed (like Flight), having a tank or healer spot sacrificed to make up for the damage or power output requirements, and using the environment to trivalize the harshest of mechanics, then I don't think some players understand just what this 'challenge' is when they argue in favor of it.
    • Like x 3
  20. graydogg51 Well-Known Player

I wish they would just make an expert and novice version of each raid after it's been out a while. I know there is a decent group of people who want extremely hard content and deserve to be catered to. I am not one of those people. My personal life is hard enough, so zoning out and mashing buttons for an hour a day is just fine for me. I would like access to the styles that drop though, and I thought creating the novice raids in the past worked well for everyone for that purpose.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.