Only getting event gear from SoBA boxes

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by LeagueOfV, Feb 2, 2023.

1. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

if nobody has suggested it maybe keep the loot boxes as they were for current content and do the open box thing for content that only gives out source marks.
    • Like x 1
  2. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

If you are already opening them as you get them, in any order, then the change is not needed for someone who likes to do that. Why would it need to be made for the rest of us?

Also, I wasn't suggesting using replays, but you had referred to your line of:
    "I went from level 30 to 200 in a few hours spamming duos"
    If you were doing that you are referring to EEG OR using replays in EG. If EEG, no one is complaining....if EG, spamming would be a choice, and I agree....doing that in EG shortens the life of the episode.

However, artificially lengthening the episode by making leveling LESS efficient isn't great either....which this change does. You can choose to slow your CR roll by doing what you do, opening as you get them. That's a choice you make....and no one is telling you NOT to do it.

EDIT: If you can explain how this benefits the community as a whole, to force something that is already available by choice (you CAN open things as you get them), other than saving 1 or 2 clicks on opening a box...I'm all ears.
  3. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

After further discussion, we will revert this change.
    • Like x 17
  4. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

when will you be reverting it? is it something that will require another DT or can you hotfix it?
    • Like x 1
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Dcuo puts a bad standard? There are mmos that have no loot lock and the only thing stopping progression is rng drops. It’s not about bad models just different ones. Some models have the game follow an rng focused set up with no loot locks and high rng. Some focus on currency allowing you to get what is needed. Some focus on crafting.

This change has absolutely no value to the type of game this is. Yes it’s easy to progress. There are 40+ dlcs for players. EEG is has this system because players can endlessly run things without loot locks and manage their rng though time of play. EG doesn’t have this option. Players should’ve have to do every single content on every single toon. Almost every single modern MMO has added options for different types of players to enjoy the game. Part of that is allowing for players to be solo players if they so choose.
  6. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

Honestly I think if you should compromise and revert it only for the most current episode (44) in this case. I don’t think it affects people from previous episodes like 43. Opening gear from omnibus is more beneficial than getting gear from 43 except the purple gear.

So at the end of the day that would work well for everyone. I like to open boxes for alts too but only current episode gear. The rest is better for them to stay unlocked imo.
    • Like x 1
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I can see this as a middle ground. DK gear was 315, 319 and 323 for the colors, so yes...the greens and blues would be ABOUT the same as getting EEG gear(or potentially less). The only real difference is that it's nice to hold on to some pieces like rings, necks and weapons, which are nice to have if you still need to buy the vendor gear for the style feat, but don't want to waste the money on those vendor pieces. Weapons will still be boxes, which is nice, but the loss of the other aspect of 'control' is not a huge deal. Those items also don't really provide much advantage in being open as none go to style feats and most accessories don't even have styles associated.

If they made the change revert ONLY for the 'current' episode, 44 today, but moving forward obviously it would be that new episode.

I think that would work and ruffle less feathers...if doable.

I guess my question on the whole thing would still be if the main goal is 'less clicks', how about we get rid of other click abysses like the TC opening animations, applying and donating tac mods or modded gear, or just the opening the box confirmation?
    • Like x 1
  8. the solowing Steadfast Player

yea, this change can be reverted.
  9. the solowing Steadfast Player

and then i saw this post lol
    • Like x 1
  10. Dene Devoted Player

Mepps..

1. Thanks for listening - says a lot :)

I think the devs intention was to help with the issue of not seeing what we needed style wise etc and I commend you guys for trying to address it

2. I think the idea WAS good.. I just think it was good for older stuff - maybe see if that is how it can be changed ?
    • Like x 2
  11. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Good call.
    • Like x 2
  12. MiLady Well-Known Player

Thank you for reverting this. I play with a lot of alts and trying to level them up too. It was nice to choose the role for the gear since all my alts use both roles.

I understand that this "update" was to solve the "what style is this?" issue, but hopefully you can come up with a solution that works for DCUO and the community. There were a lot of good suggestions listed in this thread, but I guess the solution is more difficult due to the current design of the game (ie string length).
    • Like x 1
  13. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

What do you mean?
  14. farm3rb0b Committed Player

Just want to add that if memory recalls, EEG's are dropping 320 greens, aren't they? In which case, an EEG/Omni nets you better than everything but the latest episode. While I love the all gear attuned update, I definitely don't want to revert to old gear being in unattuned boxes. It's so easy to get massive amounts of gear/marks at this point to level alts up that the # of clicks/time spent managing inventory is the worse evil, in my opinion.
  15. SilkyPawz Bunny

I'm not sure about asking for a compromise, because if you look at the full update notes, it stated that if you Leveled your DLC augments you would still get the unattuned gear, be it green or blue. I personally don't like that gear will be monetized or put behind a paywall.

What about new players or people coming back to the game and how it would affect them. Who's to say not wearing a tin foil hat but we started with a lower level augments and slowly it's up to level 28 to max it out.

They sell the DLC catalyst in the marketplace or you would have to use replays to reset lets say raid or alert, I mean I could be wrong but I think we get monetized enough already when there is still so many things broken in the game and I do understand this is a business but what I am currently able to do for free with my membership why would I want to start paying for it?

What if this was to set up for the next DLC? the augments having a higher level to extend the DLC? there are so many probabilities to consider.

I personally prefer if they revert it all back, you know the saying once you open Pandora's Box!
    • Like x 2
  16. Dene Devoted Player

I think they meant they liked your idea.. so want your idea instead of a full reversal
  17. TabulaRasa Level 30

Best idea I've seen in this thread is to name the boxes after the style, easiest fix
    • Like x 1
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, I'm still kind of against it when they did it in EEG, but it made sense at least for the variety of styles you'd get. In EG we get 3 styles in gear. The green one, the blue one, both of which are generally re-used styles many already have, and the purple ones. For the 'style preview' on 2 re-hashed styles, I don't see the advantage, not like in EEG boxes. For the lowering click counts, again....there are plenty of targets for that, don't impact our ability to smartly deploy gear as the first one. RNG is one of the worst things about this game, holding gear for a few days or longer, is one of the counter balances to bad RNG luck. Open gear puts it right back in RNGsus's hands.

Honestly, if it were possible, the best of all worlds to me would be that they start opening automatically once they hit max value, so for this episode, at 378 the greens would all be open at 330, the blues at 381 and purples at 385. At that point, there is no advantage to holding off on any....but I'd guess that's too much to ask for. That way we could still horde boxes while they were used for leveling, but save the clicks once they pretty much become salvage.

It's being reverted anyway, but if they wanted to re-visit it later for the 2 older of the EG episodes only...I wouldn't say anything against it, as long as the EEG gear is kept up pretty much at the same point as the blues in the 'last' episode...or better.
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I just re-read that and you are kind of right. The 'bonus' choices you get on bosses would still be (and are...I got some last night) unattuned. Daily/weekly mission boxes don't get the bonus choices and 2 of the potential 4 on instance bosses are still attuned. So leveling up the augments ADDS a few potential un-attuned pieces, but it doesn't do anything to the standard loot.

I'd join you in tin foil hat land, but that bonus hits at the first level if I recall correctly, so if it was a grand plan, they should have tied it to the 2nd, 3rd or higher breakthroughs.

And I was against the change and applaud it's reversal. Just saying, breakthrough 1 is a pretty low bar.
    • Like x 1
  20. Henoshock Well-Known Player

Honestly, auto-attune does make leveling (a single role) slower, but when I'm already past the CR of the gear and I'm just opening them to clear inventory, it is extremely convenient that I don't have to re-open again (attuning it). Honestly I would prefer having them unattuned in general, but also having a mass auto-open & attune option would be very convenient, especially for gear that's no longer relevant (like anything not current episode).