Old Content too easy for High CR Players and Boring

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Sammmy, Sep 30, 2018.

1. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Send ingame tell to Orlean Saint if you want to join in the fun.
  2. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Wow I can not believe this is still active ... Okay one last post to address a few things I read...

I saw comments claiming there is no real reward for a player that drops back and does older content because 1) no marks and 2) armor doesn't help your CR

Funny I can go into the streets of Metropolis and one shot Captain Kruel and get Nth metal to drop and last I checked we use that now to not only increase the level of our artifacts but can now even use it to increase the level of of our augments.

Funny part 2.... I recently started a new alt and AMAZINGLY even armor below level 30 can be salvaged (not all of it but most) ad turned into Exobytes we can use increase the level of our augments. Hmm and that also allows us to work on feats for salvage and crafting.

and of course its already been mentioned but even if your alt is CR 250+ and you are running tier 1 content with a friend you can still grab up any feats you may have missed on the way up. You still get furniture drops that you can stick in your base and IF you belong to a League you increase the amount of Prestige you give them every single week just by logging on and "visiting" your lair. OR just flat out donate that furniture to the League and hand them some Prestige that way.

And let us not forget the alternate reward box..... Tokens for 100 Prestige, Tokens for 100 Tokens of Merit, Omega Compounds and even the small possibility of an actual Mark.

Not exactly the same rewards we'd get running end game content but did you want to play the game with your buddy or not?

I'm sorry but I am still against stat clamping .. why? Because that is not going to increase the rewards I get. I can only imagine the amount of re coding it would require to change every single mission in this game to recognize that a player is actually say CR 245 not CR 55 and hand us Titan Creds if we run a stat clamped missions with a buddy. Now add in the ability to also recognize and reward Ancient Coins, War Bonds, Marked Bills, Ultra Bucks, or Atlantian Crowns to anyone doing that exact same stat clamped mission who is at that stage of the game. No what we'd get would be the exact same alternate reward box we are getting NOW only the missions would be a lot harder and take more time away from playing missions that do reward that currency we NEED.

WAY too much work for the Dev team in my opinion. The OP wants a challenge? Take off armor and run the thing... the entire player base does not need to be punished because YOU are bored.
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Bummer....I checked the stream just in time to see you guys get locked out of the middle section(Star Labs). I think you might have just prolonged this thread another month...."see....this is why you NEED clamping!!" #clampingargumentvindication

Oh the huMANity!
    Reinheld
  4. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I just wrote a huge post that disappeared while I went to Giphy. I hate that. Now I'm just going to sum up the pros and cons in a dispassionate manner.

Pros:

-Player retention
    -Reduced player boredom
    -Increased content longevity and entertainment value vs. invested development resources
    -Richer player experience
    -Better queue times for older content
    -Increased player satisfaction during lull between episodes
    -Better new player enjoyment of more areas of the game
    -Added membership enticement/direct episode purchase value (if you get extra marks for owning featured content, for example)

Proof this works for a large portion of the player base: event content in current and recent episodes

Cons:

-DCUO makes money based on replay badges, which are directly tied to forcing players to run as little content as possible as many times as possible.
    -DCUO is gear-focused, so gear needs to feel worthwhile. Event content doesn't make gear feel worthwhile.
    -Event content only episodes aren't popular with end-game veterans (See Starro anything for proof, lol).
    -Additional dev resources are required to produce likely 2 versions (stat-clamped event style, and end-game ready normal style) of each sponsored episode content. The difficult depends on games backend (whether scaling damage algorithms are possible or manual tweaking is required).
    -Feats are more difficult in clamped content (but potentially more rewarding in theory, though not in practice based on general population's love of exploits). This isn't an issue if original content is still available, of course.

Conclusion: I think stat clamping old content would need to be supplemented with end-game versions to work properly. I think this would produce a game that is more fun and healthy versus the suck-the-last-drop-of-enjoyment-out-of-everything mindset that exhausts players after only a few episodes. I also highly doubt anything will change due to the worst/best moneymaker that game has ever seen: replay badges.

Thank you for reading. Good night, and good luck.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

If they could put a check in place to prevent people from running ahead. Perhaps locked doors that open after you clear the adds.

Either way despite his best efforts I still passed him.
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

My answer is always the same. Adjustable group size for queue....period. There are only a few of the older instances that require 2 or more people(to work gears and such)...past that if you can goon your way through something, be my guest. It should keep the endgame people out of the normal queue(the majority of them at least) so the people that cant' just blow through can queue up and have the appropriate struggle. If you invite a goon into your smaller group and don't like the way they play, get your kicking boots on and kick them or ignore them for the future.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  7. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

I miss cr differential. :(