New powers confirmed

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Davis, Aug 15, 2014.

1. ToxicReaction New Player

The problems with people that keep asking for lantern powers.
    1. Regardless of Corp they are the same power with a different color..Minus White / Black
    2. Gameplay wise they would act the exact same way as the 2 we already have..see issue 1. I say 2 because Green/Yellow are the same power just re-skinned in color.

Problems with the colors the "fans" want.
    Orange (Avarice) - Only 1 person can be an Orange Lantern. There is only 1 battery and 1 ring.
    Blue (Hope) - Since they would have to be on the hero side how would they work the 210% power boost to Green?
    Red (Rage) - They would have to "retcon" Rage from being on Hero side if Blue was put in game.
    Violet (Love) - Only Women can be in the core. Yes there were 2 exceptions to the rule but in general only Women can join.
    Indigo Tribe - Almost nothing is known about them other than their powers. This would be the only color that could have been both factions.

If you want "X" color corps just buy an aura and RP your heart out. Since if they would be in game they would have the same power set with a new color construct and maybe different Roles.
    • Like x 1
  2. JangaMan Active Player

Speak clearly i can't follow.
    If you can pretend to be batman with gadgets why can't a char pretend to be superman with serum?
    We don't even know what the serum is going to be like so we have no clue if it will work completely like bane or what.
  3. John Brawler Committed Player

even if your powers make you flash green you can still be superman x from the legion of superheroes cartoon.
  4. LoneLantern New Player

All three new powers sound cool - especially Serums and Atomic. I wonder there will be more to the Serums aspect of Experimental Serums than just Bane-like muscle-growth. Maybe something to extend range by making yourself temporarily elastic like Plastic Man for example?

Also, I'd love to see a few extra Iconic powers - ones that have more unique effects like Jericho's Possession ability ( Take a couple of seconds to enter a target's body - could be only when facing them to fit his power exactly - be stealthed and use their abilities for the duration, which could be either a set-duration or until released when used on non-unique, non-elite enemies. And no Iconics, unless there was a way to work around that and even then it'd be a short duration to symbolize their strength and keep it fair. Same with enemy players. They could think of some sort of restrictions. )
  5. Jafin 10000 Post Club

There is not just one Orange ring, there are hundreds (if not thousands). Larfleeze has them all in a giant pile in his home.

Violet can not only be populated by women, it's just that most males are not deemed worthy of a ring. People tend to forget that the rings were programmed by the people who lead the corps to only select a certain type of person. No emotion is exclusive to any one type of person, but the people the rings choose are determined by a set of traits programmed into them. The rings are, after all, pieces of technology.
    • Like x 1
  6. JangaMan Active Player

Thats what im saying.
    If serum will make you a bit of invisible stronger then you can just pretend to be superman with it.
  7. Sorwen Well-Known Player

The only thing that makes a game is the trappings otherwise all it is adding and subtracting numbers in the background. I would go get a math game if that is all I cared about was adding/subtracting numbers.
  8. MaatAset Well-Known Player

Yeah, everyone will be blowing everyone up!
  9. BriWi Well-Known Player

Honestly, I would have preferred Love to be the lantern healing power set, not Hope. That way, both heroes and villains could get the power without it causing too many issues lore-wise, especially after checking out WotL 2 on test. I mean, there's the warm, caring, Princess Bride love for heroes and the jealous, paranoid, manipulating, psychotic, Fatal Attraction love for villains.

ANYWAYS...

I'm looking forward to Atomic most of the three new powers, but am a bit 'meh' regarding the others.Maybe it's because of the heavy reuse they'll require to allow them to be added without overloading the PS3, but it seems less innovative and more plagiarized.

Personally, I think a few of the power sets could have been designed for different roles. For example, Electricity seems to me a better fit for Controller (considering it's a power source that runs all tech, used to regulate heart rates,electronic muscle stimulation to work out while cutting down on manual effort, and nowhere else is electricity and lightning used in any kind of healing context that I can find), Fire for healing (in some fantasy literature and real life mystical practices such as Tibetan Moxibustion, the application of heat and/or fire is a curative and healing method), and Hard Light for tanking (the ring can generate protective armor constructs as well as weapons, such as Green lantern's construct armor from Kingdom Come). Of course that would have thrown off the original power set release, but if we were to do a system-wide revamp for whatever reason, I think it would work.
  10. BriWi Well-Known Player

You fail to take into account that the exobytes have data on all power sets, including the green light of will, so everyone is already carrying around a digital green lantern power source with them, albeit limited in scope: Hard Light Shield iconic power, remember? Technically, exobytes are divided up by the class of data (meta, magic, tech) and not by specific power sets, which is why we can re-spec our power sets; we're simply attuning the exobytes within us to a different section of data. Also, no one has said that the exobytes aren't still gathering data, so they could be assimilating new data on powers during our adventures.

-edit- It stands to reason that a lot of the interactions within the emotional spectrum (blue weakening red while enhancing green) as well as external interactions (yellow boosting kryptonians0 might be less quantifiable and would be either missing or negated by our exobytes, so our versions of these power sets won't have the same range of abilities and interactions as found in the actual rings.
    • Like x 1
  11. Jafin 10000 Post Club

What about the fact that in the lore Star Sapphires have no healing properties aside from limited cellular regeneration (basically they can heal minor injuries on themselves), which all the corps have?
  12. Derio 15000 Post Club

Should have been shadow, blue/indigo lantern, atomic. But lets see how this plays out towards the end of 2015 when they start releasing the new powers.
    • Like x 1
  13. Jafin 10000 Post Club

You think they're going to start releasing Munitions, Atomic and Serums by the end of next year? :eek:
    • Like x 1
  14. leapoffaithninja Committed Player

I think there's still hope for shadow water and blue/indigo when they finally revamp the UI
  15. BriWi Well-Known Player

So, can you show me the lore in which green lanterns weaken their opponents defenses, strength, ability to be healed, and restore power to their allies with burst power and power over time? If you're gonna split hairs here, then you have to recognize that green and yellow lanterns have control effects that aren't at all canon in respect to the comics. Creative licensing was made there, so the same could be said for the violet light of love being a source of healing instead of the blue light of hope.
    • Like x 1
  16. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I never said it wasn't creative licencing. It's a whole debate of why would they choose a corps that has no healing abilities when there are corps who do? The Indigo Tribe and the Blue Lantern Corps both have notable healing abilities. Blue Lanterns cannot currently be used as a power set for both factions, but the Indigo Tribe could easily be made dual faction so why choose Star Sapphires over the Indigo Tribe?

As for giving power back, Green Lantern Rings are known to be able to capture and contain different forms of energy and then distribute it back into the world so that part, while a little far-fetched, is actually feasible. Controlling others by putting them in constructs is just a no brainer, no explanation needed there. So is something like a defence debuff - you attack with Whip Thrash or Light Blast and you could see that as piercing the enemy's armour, which would reduce their defence.
  17. LoneLantern New Player

I have another Iconic Power Idea! I mentioned it on a couple forums, including one talking about Doom Patrol content and here's my idea: a Negative Man Iconic Power. For those who don't know who Negative Man is, he is a original and current member of the Doom Patrol with the power to release a being of negative energy and radiation from his body, controlling it like an astral projection for 60 seconds, but if he does not return to his body, he will die. All at the cost of his body becoming radioactive and requiring special bandages to actually be near people and not kill them.

My idea: Negative Spirit - This power would have a unique mechanic, leaving your character in a uncontrollable, immobile and defenseless state with a kneeling, unconconscious or knocked out animation/pose. Your character releases from themselves a controllable "summon" - the same build, gender, and size as your character, who is purely black with either a lime green or a yellow aura around it, as well as be featureless. Your point of view and control switches to this entity and your powers cannot and items are unavailable while controlling it. The entity, however, compensates this for this - it has a modified flight movement that is always active, moves faster than normal, and cannot be slowed down. It can immune to damage but the body is vulnerable to attacks. For weapons, it would possess brawling melee and hand blaster ranged attacks, and would have a radiation aura that hurts enemies and weakens their defenses. Finally, the negative spirit would also possess a "Radiation Burst" power that lets you do a AoE - harming enemies in the blast radius as well as stunning them. As for the duration, it can either last for 60 seconds, as to fit Negative Man in the comics, or indefinitely until you return to your body. As for returning to your body...you need to literally fly back into your character's body. Your mini map would gain a special marker indicating its location, and for the 60 seconds option, you gain a timer, telling you how long you have to return. If you fail to return in time, you automatically get KO'ed. For the indefinite, to make up for this duration, if you stray way too far from your body, scouting around, your body would lose health and be left vulnerable still to harm.

Just replace one of the Joker, Superman or Black Canary powers with this and I'd be happy. XD
  18. WL Corpsman New Player

in his defense the rendering and the multitude of other issues have driven subscribers to other games. tone of friends who don't play any more due to frustration of rendering/ bugs / imbalances.
    • Like x 1
  19. John Brawler Committed Player

but the people who use the replaced power probably wouldn't be. the negative man power idea is cool, but would require a damage shift kind of deal, new animations, and a transformation, several traits that would make it a nightmare for the current memory problems, also just removing an old iconic to make room for a new one is probably not as simple as you think especially when everyone that used that power would suddenly lose it and find that it's not there anymore in exchange for an iconic that they might not want, but have to get as the way you described it makes it insanely op compared to most powerset abilities let alone the actual iconics.
  20. LoneLantern New Player

Well, it's not an idea that's fully set in stone - I at least wanted to mention the basic concept of it. And I get the whole idea about it being a memory issue and requiring new animations and whatnot - this would probably be something for when PS3 is done with due to PS4 (if it will be).

Also, I wouldn't see much of a problem with a Black Canary power being gone. Both powers are almost the exact same from my understanding - I don't believe one of them being gone will be too noticeable. If it still seems like a problem to you though, it could even be some sort of high-level power for something like Atomic - seeing as it deals with radiation, and Negative Man is all about radiation through the Negative Spirit.