New lockboxes are ridiculous

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by pyroshade13, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Xanoth Dedicated Player

I don't think they need to do anything with lockboxes.

We just need a second means to get the styles they drop, as I get the feeling getting full sets from these was never intended to be any real goal. The loot table is too big, you could go decades and never finish some styles with a table of this size and chance of getting multiples.

Economy in this game and the broker system is honestly the worst I've ever seen in an MMO, I don't think having players sell super rare things is going to make it look or perform better.
    • Like x 3
  2. Superskull85 Devoted Player

We could also realise that without these lockbox changes we would not have the ability to obtain cross-faction styles. The alternative could be not getting them account bound or tradeable.

Don't complain and ask for a change just because the feature doesn't work exactly how you want it to. ;)
    • Like x 1
  3. SkullGang Devoted Player

Should be.
  4. Pults Loyal Player

The thing is an economy has to be driver by large amounts of items that can be obtained at will (not random), for DCUO it's only exobytes/bits and occasional stuff that can be made into them. All the rest are rare items that have no pattern what so ever thus making the prices go up and down like crazy.
  5. Xanoth Dedicated Player

It's not helped by 48 hour max listing time, no way to see past/average sale prices. As you said the only thing that is working with any real reliability is the sale of crafting materials.

Items that are rare/random in both their supply and their demand just aren't going to function well on a broker system that's in this game, yet it seems more thing fall into the rare/random category than not.

Crafting never seems to get expanded upon and the way exobit use scales, or doesn't means crafting will continue to be priced out of the reach of new players, so the economy constantly floats to the top tier and every other part of it is either a disaster or inaccessible to the majority of players.

I'll stop moaning as I already seem to be high-jacking the thread to moan about the economy in this game.
  6. pyroshade13 Committed Player

im not hiding from what i want. i could not careless about money. i want the blood bat wings....badly. and that's the problem how many people want 1 or 2 particular things and don't care about the rest of it. the way its set up even if you farm lockboxes like i've been doing you may never get what you need. i just want an alternative so its more likely for a player to actually obtain what they are looking for
  7. Circe New Player

I have yet to see later tier PVE styles, but I have seen later tier PVP styles. Hm. Honestly, I don't like that lol. PVP didn't need to take an even bigger hit, and giving people even more reason not to do it. I'm hoping we get a bunch of all-new style sets for PVP down the line.
    • Like x 1
  8. akaivy Dedicated Player

I have finished 2 style feats as a result of the new lockboxes and gotten a couple of nifty base items. I like it much better than the old system. I was tired of getting the same stuff. At least now if I get stuff I don't need I can choose something else.
    • Like x 3
  9. Antwoman Dedicated Player

well because there is newly added items in them so the odds have gone up to get styles you want, I bet no many relaize that.
  10. Xanoth Dedicated Player

I got to 97, I've no intention of grinding all the way through 98, then 99, then 100. Yes it could probably be done in a few weeks, but with population as bad as it is, that'll mostly be done 1v1 or maybe 2v2, and after a certain point it would just be easier to farm by losing and going afk. I don't want to do that, the game and people playing it deserve better.

PVP needs fixing for PVP, later tier PVP styles won't make more people PVP, them being in lockboxes is a nice addition imo.
    • Like x 1
  11. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

There are times when I wonder if anything the DEV team did would manage to please everyone. LOCKBOXES ARE REDICULOUS? How many years did people on these same forums complain about the useless crap that we got from the old ones? Now we have a set up that allows 2 choices of style (we used to just get one and had no choice what we got or if we even wanted it).

Don't want the armor they are offering? Well you now also have a choice of a piece of furniture. Again you have a CHOICE to take a piece of furniture and the variety of styles has increased there from what we had before as well. Old set up... IF you got a furniture drop you got NO style at all and also got no choice if you wanted that piece of furniture or not.

Don't like the choices in either of those categories.. Okay how about a Mail Bot, or a Bank Bot or a REPAIR BOT instead? This is an option the old style never gave us and all of these are things you would normally have to go to the on line store and pay for with REAL MONEY.

When all else fails.. every single box also gives you the option to take an Omega Compound. A brand new consumable that has the ability to enhance the every single stat by 3% for thirty minutes. Wait there is more.. This doesn't just increase YOUR stats it also increases the stats of everyone on your team. Even if a team mate dies during a battle the stat increase remains for the full 30 minutes and if you, or anyone else on the team, has a charm that increases certain stats .. those two increases will stack (not cancel one another out). The ONLY thing you can't do is stack Omega stat increases.. SORRY but no an 8 man raid team can not all pop an omega and get a 24% increase for thirty minutes. Just like the On line store merchandise option this is brand new and something that is different than anything a lock box offered before.

I realize that they probably went a little crazy adding I believe it was 800 style choices to the lock box at the same time making it nearly impossible to find certain things you might want.. BUT if you have been playing for years and still don't have the piece of armor.. exactly what changed? You pick one tiny little flaw and condemn the entire upgrade over it. News flash.. since GU 47 skill points don't mean nearly as much as they once did so if your agonizing over that one final piece of gear for a set... those 25 feat points are a minor issue.

I've lost track of how many lock boxes I have had drop since the change but I skip all that other stuff and take TWO things .. Repair bots when they are an option because those are a huge help if players have taken major damage and you'd like the team at full health before the final boss battle.. and the Omega compound because 3% may not sound like much but if I have 20,000 Health points .. I now have 20,600 for thirty minutes and that extra 600 may be just enough to get me through a final boss battle in one piece. It also means that every member of my team is doing 3% more damage and THAT may mean we win that final boss battle instead of losing. Is the new Lock Box perfect? No Is it a heck of a lot better than the OLD one? YES
    • Like x 6
  12. Backseid Devoted Player

Interesting. So far, I have only got the Villain version of that and a pair of gloves on my hero...
  13. Backseid Devoted Player

I really can't believe, after what a week, someone is complaining about not getting a single style OUT OF 800!!!

Jesus!
  14. Remander Steadfast Player

So, make them tradable and exhaust the new lock box loot table in a matter of weeks, so you can complain again about how there's nothing in them worth getting? That makes sense.
    • Like x 1
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I just did some math in regards to the OP. I know they said over 40, but we'll use that as the starting point.

So, 40 lockboxes, each having the chance of two style pieces, so barring any styles making repeat appearances that's 80 style pieces. 800 pieces available means they've seen about a tenth of what's available.

That's it. One-tenth, or slightly over that. Not exactly a huge number.

It's very easy to forget (or outright ignore) that chances are good you won't see what you want to see right away, and it may take you a long time before you do see it.
  16. Backseid Devoted Player

Random drops don't work, in any way, like that. He has as good a chance at NEVER seeing it as he does getting it 5x in a row.

So that math really means nothing tbh ;)
    • Like x 1
  17. pyroshade13 Committed Player

This isnt about base items or a new soda. call it what it is if the cross faction styles werent in there who would care....that's just like saying the boxes that contain plasmic auras are good because it gives you rd scanners, repair bots,..etc. no one would buy it if it wasnt for the plasmics nimbus and smoke auras. that's the selling point. what you say is minor is actually the entire point of the new lockboxes. the cross faction styles is the selling point.
  18. Circe New Player

You don't think it's inconsistent? I mean, I was PVPing for the styles mostly. I know I'm just one person, but there has to be other people in my boat as well. If you're gonna make top tier PVP styles drop like that, why not later tier PVE styles as well?
  19. Backseid Devoted Player

Don't compare the Lockboxes to Booster Bundles. Lockboxes are free. So who cares...

Aside from anyone that actually buys the keys for these things. THAT is rediculous ;)
  20. tukuan Devoted Player

I think that it would make sense to introduce something like this as a trade able commodity after cross-play is introduced. If they did it now the cash imbalance that exists on the PS would just circulate amoungst other PS players. If they waited til after cross-play it could go a long long way to redistributing a lot of that cash amoungst the PC as well as EUPS players.

Certainly this wouldn't be enough of a reason do make them account bound on their own but it could be a contributing factor, although more likely just the product of my fevered mind.