Mental Dps Loadout

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by MkNoobSaibot, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Trial 1 New Player

Anything involving Mass Terror (for now) is not optimal.

However, I encourage you to keep testing and working to improve!
  2. Makineko Committed Player

I only Dps with mental part time, use Mass Terror (partially through necessity) and I I seem to have figured out a decent rotation (including Mental's AM) that gets me Good damage.

Probably isn't optimal though, that being said my main focus is Trolling, so as long as I can do solid damage on the dps side with Trolling being priority I'm happy. I honestly thought Mass Terror a good move though, shows how much I know :oops:
  3. Cable Committed Player

Care to elaborate on that? I'm finding Mass Terror to be the preferred choice. It's not going to be where the majority of damage comes from in the rotation, but as an aoe terror applicator it works just fine. The damage is comparable to mass levitation, and it actually has some advantages. Choosing Mass Terror over Mass Levitation makes it possible to have both thought bubble and robot sidekick on your tray which translates into better single target burn for bosses. As for groups of ads, alternating between WM>Phantom Flames and WM>Psychic Shock (due to the cooldown timers and DW, otherwise Id simply use Phantom Flames only) does good damage on terrorized enemies.
    • Like x 1
  4. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Mass Terror excludes Pyrokinesis for Power Interaction, otherwise I would still be using a Terror-based loadout.

Pyro is the best Mental DOT applicator, hands down - you can replace Thought Bubble and Phantom Flames with *one* move and have the loadout space left over afterwards, still be getting the same amount of damage even without the additional 'heavy' DOT tick, and when Dazed is activated? Pyro applies three different DOTs to up to 8 targets at *one* time. At that point, you can add Thought Bubble to it and end up with 4 active DOTs. Single-target (no split) makes the Pyro DOTS *painful*.

Also, with Dazed active, a WM Telekinetic Bolt will deal the same amount as Psychic Flames does on Burst and since you're not losing a DOT at that point, you still have room for Menace which (even without Terror active) still crits for 3-5K while active. And there's no long cooldown on Telekinetic Bolt, so you can cycle it with itself.

Supposedly they were going to add 'Terror' as a PI activator for PK, which I think they should do because it makes the old Terror-based Loadout style viable again - if that happens I'll probably switch back to Mass Terror just because I'm a fan of Menace, but at the moment the PK damage is too nice to pass on. That's just me though.
  5. HazeTA New Player

For Mental it's WM>AM, the AMs damage doesn't even come close to a WM loadout.
    • Like x 1
  6. HazeTA New Player

The already did...

Server Hotfix - January 6, 2015

Power
    Mental

• The bonus damage over time component of Pyrokinesis will now trigger when the target is Terrorized as well as Dazed.

I also never understood the problem with PF, PK overwrite. They share the same DoT and it does the same damage and since the small burning DoT is kept up constantly in the rotation, their never truly overwriting.
    • Like x 4
  7. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Yeah, 'consistency is key' and the AM payout is too easy to interrupt, not consistent enough, and while it affords some moments of very high payout? It mostly chugs; unless your Tank is a god, you spec Full-Might and the RNG smiles upon your every move, WM = Results.
    • Like x 1
  8. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

To my knowledge this was a server hotfix on Test, not Live.
  9. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

That statement aside though, if it DID make it to Live already I have some loadout juggling to do when I get home...
  10. HazeTA New Player

The test hotfix was December 19th.

Test

Live
    • Like x 2
  11. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

There really... kinda isn't one? If you're using moves specifically for DOT Application *only* then yes, in Mental it's

Pyrokinesis (Medium + Weak DOT, plus Heavy DOT w/PI) > Thought Bubble (Medium DOT) > Phantom Flames (Weak DOT)

Thought Bubble and Phantom Flames both have a better initial Burst but PK pays for that extra space *quickly*.

In a situation where you have an equivalent burst damage applicator involved, the PF / PK Burning overwrite is mostly a 'six of one half dozen of the other' call - since it's the same DOT, using PK and PF both for a DOT-driven loadout is a little redundant because PK has the extra two available DOTs; however...

If you're using a Terror-based Loadout with PK added to it anyways, there's not a point in NOT using Phantom Flames now because it's got the highest burst damage available in the Terror tree - who cares if you're overwriting 'the weakest DOT proc in the game' when you're getting 8K on a single burst attack? And that's with *MY* Might, which SUCKS.
  12. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I guess I treat PF as a Burst move instead of a DOT move though.
  13. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

And here I thought I had to wait until GU 44... Sold.
  14. HazeTA New Player

Same, I ignore it's DoT completely... infact, with my rotation with HB>ES, the last WM just before re-applying Menace/Pyro is perfectly timed to catch a PF DoT, at this point Menace just came off cooldown and Pyro DoTs ran out, so PF's DoT being a constant is actually helping a small amount.

FYI, Pyros tooltip was not updated to include the terror PI, probably why you missed it.
    • Like x 1
  15. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I also worked 10 days in a row the week it was released, by the time I was done with that I was barely speaking English anymore ;). Still, this is welcome news - I was a fan of the Terror-based Loadout because it maximizes the four damaging Abilities I keep in my tray (the other two are always Bastion and Grandeur - A detaunt / control cleanse / shield move is priceless when fighting point-blank)
  16. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

And people who are like 'I don't use Menace' have no idea what they're missing...
    • Like x 1
  17. Cable Committed Player

As others mentioned above, the fix made it to live so not only do I get the 3 dots from pyrokinesis with mass terror, but I also can add the single target dot from thought bubble, and treat robot sidekick as yet another passive single target dot. All this and menace also is still able to be on tray. That's why I prefer mass terror.
  18. Absolix Loyal Player

Also, the increased damage from Menace, from the terror PI, more than makes up for the slight difference between PF's and TK Bolt's damage.

Overall, I'm just glad that the WM side is getting some variety, especially considering how monotonous the AM side is.
    • Like x 2
  19. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Shrug, like I already said, assuming the Terror Change to PK went Live? I'd use Terror too, so... Old ground coverage aside...

I value Grandeur more than I do Robot Sidekick, especially since I fight 'right in the middle of things' - Roboto is too fragile for my taste and the survivability outweighs the extra DOT. Yes, I know 'Tanks and Aggro!' - I counter that statement with 'PUGs and Ball-dropping!!'. Because PUGs be droppin' some balls. I also run a lot of stuff solo on a daily basis (like I kill the Obot daily by myself as a warm-up, I frequently run Alerts and Raids solo) and Grandeur is just too useful in a situation like that.

I have been considering Thought Bubble as an option - I like Bastion as a Raid Shield for its pickup / assist capacity, but it's not a very common-use Alert Ability, plus 'I like having full SC' - I get the majority of the damage in my character's rotation from weapon attacks so my Precision is ... arguably nice, and having full SC makes a noticeable difference in output. Her Might is a little low, so it also begs the question 'How effective is this DOT' versus 'How frequently am I gonna need this shield?'. Bastion *IS* great for late-game Solo work too.

But yeah, since the PK / Terror change is LIVE? Then there's like, no reason NOT to use Mass Terror instead, because Menace almost DOUBLES its damage against a terrified opponent.
    • Like x 1
  20. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Ehhhh, I think I've made Phantom Flames do around 13K with a Supply Drop, I think TK Bolt has hit *maybe* 14, top-end, same situation; they're fairly close, definitely not enough to argue over, yeah.