Marvel and Dimensional ink making an MMORPG??

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ghost27Xog, Nov 27, 2021.

1. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Even crazier...The same people name squatting Marvel names in DCUO will do the opposite when the Marvel game comes out.
    • Like x 1
  2. Jaden Law Well-Known Player

5+ years ago a lot of people called Marvel Heroes killer of DCUO despite the fact that these are completely different games. Where Marvel Heroes now huh? But DCUO still here... And another "killer" won't change anything.
    • Like x 4
  3. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

Look @ the 11 year history, how many DC killers have we seen so far? I've seen 3-4 and yet this game is still apparently profitable enough for them to keep the servers up. Since the game for most of its life was run by an investment firm (Columbus Nova Investments), they don't care. If it remains profitable they keep it, if its a money sink, they liquidate the assets and sell it off to someone else.

On the flip side, I don't call 450k ish player across all platforms and servers a big number for a MMO.
  4. golddragon71 Dedicated Player

I said it on another thread but it bears repeating here….

Looks at the DCUO landscape today
    sees all these Players using Marvelesque Character Iconics

Looks a few Years into the Future on T.O. Morrow's Time viewer
    Sees Marvel Universe Online
    Looks at all the Marvel Iconics Vanish from DCUO...
    Sees almost as many DC Iconics Appear in MUO.....

Conclusion.... The More things change, The more they stay the same....
    • Like x 2
  5. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  6. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

7. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

DCUO is HEAVILY instanced and so was Marvel Heroes. they're really not that much different. repeated instances, for a chance at loot. :oops: which, to be honest, all games are instanced and repeatable :p question becomes, are you having fun?
  8. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

Empress_Orana, chose a really bad thread title. :rolleyes:
    I've multiple games installed. :p
    • Like x 1
  9. Zero303 Well-Known Player

10. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Marvel can keep their characters: other than the spiderman section, I’ll take dc anyday.
    • Like x 1
  11. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

Call me crazy, but I think it will have the opposite effect. This game has well over a decades worth of content and improvements. People will go to Marvel when it first comes out.... realize there isn't enough to do to keep them entertained... and come here craving a replacement for it. There's a reason WoW is the still the most popular mmo and it certainly isn't because of its graphics. It's been around so long that there's a million things to do and it's been tweaked to near perfection from decades of feedback and adjustments. No dev team can compete with that from scratch.
    • Like x 2
  12. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

13. TritonD3 Well-Known Player

It’s worrisome for a multitude of reasons. I’m definitely getting flashbacks to Champions Online when Jack was in charge and they were developing Star Trek Online concurrently. Nearly all development and communication with CO ceased to exist while they worked on a more lucrative IP.
  14. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

If DCUO is considered to have a low population, the rest of Daybreak's games should simply be scrapped.
    [IMG]

Hey, remember when Marvel's Avengers came out and in-game chat and Facebook groups say that will kill this game?
    Has that happened yet? Laugh in Square Enix?
    • Like x 5
  15. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

/scratch.chin.... hmmmmm

Will it be use Marvel characters? they did it with Marvel Heroes and Lego and Avengers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Games

Will it be create your own character? like City of Heroes and DCUO.

mmmm, we'll find out when it gets released.
    Like others have said, IF it gets released. Planning for a game is intended to motivate investors.

[IMG]

I played marvel heroes for a few months casually late in it's availability (b4 it went offline). It had a player HUB to see other user characters and an "on duty" UI to pick story instances to try alone or with other players.
  16. Cordelia Well-Known Player

There is a personality type that believes everything in life is a zero-sum game. If there is a gain somewhere, there is a loss elsewhere. This is a false view of the world that is propagated constantly by popular media and leads to a lot of suffering as some people fight to hold on to things by destroying anything that might possibly compete, instead of fighting by making the things they like better.

When people say "DC vs Marvel" or "Apple vs PC" or "Star Wars vs Star Trek" - I say, why not all of them? Why battle when you can enjoy everything?

In another context, the very best restaurants encourage other restaurants nearby. People don't want to eat the same thing every day, but if they come to the same area to eat every day, all the restaurants will get more business - even with nearby competition. I figure the same thing works for an MMO. If people like MMOs, there's going to be quite a few people who would like to be able to play more than one. It's not healthy to be super-sweaty on a single game, so having a variety is a GOOD thing.

The world isn't black and white and it's definitely not a zero-sum game. There's room enough for lots of MMOs.
    • Like x 3
  17. Drathmor Unwavering Player

as long as the combat is a fluid as DCUO it will be worth playing as thats the best thing about DC no other MMO has good combat.

downfall will be its being made by the same cash grabbing people as this one is. Jackster coming on board was one of the worst things that ever happened to DC.. They should get Yens to work on the new Marvel IP at least he will care about it
    • Like x 1
  18. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I've been playing since day 1 (Day 2 actually, stupid huge download times on PS3) and I can't begin to tell you how many games I've seen portrayed as the DCUO killer. All of them had equally compelling arguments, seeing as many of the same characters currently involved with DCUO seem to be involved with this new MMO, I don't think they'll be making a decision that shoots themselves in the foot. I'm also cognizant that this is information being presented to financial people, so the nuances in gaming terminology may be off, leading gamers to read things into this that aren't necessarily there.
    • Like x 3
  19. Wallachia Devoted Player

No, the new game will not kill DCUO.

/next
    • Like x 3
  20. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Now the main worry for Daybreak is their reputation with the money and the impact it has on their games, if it doesn't improve on it the DCUO demons will catch up with the Marvel game soon. and the image of Daybreak, as for that, in 2021 it is still present in the heads of the players.

This new MMO news from DCUO devs is coming to video game sites, I am scrutinizing the comments on this news and it's not kind to Daybreak and most of the comments regularly bring up the above point.

So Daybreak, you know what you have to do if you want it to work well for you and this new potential MMORPG.