Lost my progress point! wth, Devs?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ash Inferno, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Hector Danger Well-Known Player

[IMG]lol, idk what that guy's problem is.
    • Like x 2
  2. Backseid Devoted Player

He's upset cause I jabbed at him a bit at the beginning. He's still trying to prove a point that doesn't exist cause he doesn't wanna be wrong... or something ;)
    • Like x 1
  3. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Indeed, all valid points. But I would argue some of those points, too.

Yes, most people do want the new shiny. No doubt about that. But many, many games survive years and years if the game is actually good enough to hold a hardcore dedicated audience.

Let's look at one of our sister games. Everquest. Still going to this day despite being over a decade old and boasting primitive technology. World of Warcraft, another decade old game. Still boasting a very healthy community, even if it isn't as strong as it once was. Ever heard of Final Fantasy 11? That's an online game from 2002, which is still being played today by players using the Playstation 2... albeit it's closing the servers down next year from what I've read.

Do you think it's the casual gamer holding up these games? because I'm not convinced. It's the hardcore gamer that keeps these titles going.

But don't get me wrong. I'm not saying **** the Casuals and never build a game that includes them. Because DCUO uses such a "casual" and popular mainstream license which will only strengthen in the upcoming cinematic universe in the works, it's important to make sure you capture some of this market.

What I am saying is that Elite content should truly be for the Elite, hardcore dedicated players. Not the "hardcore casuals", who talk a good game but the first sign of a grind or a difficult instance and they're off crying about how they don't have time and what not.

The Elite content shouldn't mollycoddle the player. It should be the ultimate challenge and if that means removing progression from it so there's no whining or complaining or temptation for the developers to make it easier to boost replay badge revenue, then that's the sacrifice that should be made.

Ultimately, any game only survives if players are playing it and if this game isn't attractive to a hardcore player base (which it currently isn't), then you're basically putting an expiry date on the lifespan of the game.

So stop building content that's branded as tough but really is just as casual and bland as the regular difficulty stuff. Make the Elite content tough. So tough that players can't beat it without committing a lot of hours to learning it and improving their characters. If it takes a couple of months before the first group beats it, then so what.

If they can produce content of that calibre AND attach progress to it without sacrificing the integrity of it, then by all means do it. But there will always be the temptation to make elite content simple and unchallenging in order to allow players to beat it easily and spend afternoons spamming replay badges beating it again and again to access superior rewards, marketed as gear for the Elite player.
    • Like x 3
  4. Hector Danger Well-Known Player

Lol. It really is a stupid system they have in place. I don't honestly see why anyone would be defending it.... unless..... they are on DBG payroll!!:eek: *equips tin foil hat*
    • Like x 2
  5. Backseid Devoted Player

Lol. This whole thread started out with people "defending it" cause they were more concerned with being know-it-alls. Completely overlooking the FACT that this system is anything but OK.

If the first few replies were in agreement of the OP there wouldn't have been one single reply to the contrary. Instead, there have been several "duh, it's always been like that ya dummy. I know more than you! La la la".
    • Like x 1