Lost my progress point! wth, Devs?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ash Inferno, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Ash Inferno Well-Known Player

I didn't mention anything about gear in the OP. I was just wondering why our progress point doesn't refresh from the last time you run regular (raids). I can't shake this feeling of being screwed over. Ran BD regular last week to help my league and expected to be able to run it this week. This system just doesn't make sense, unless I'm expected to burn 500 replays a week then I suppose it makes perfect sense. I'm not trying to be difficult, but this sort of expectation is unacceptable.
    • Like x 2
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

No, all it requires is for you to pay attention to the timer
  3. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Why isn't the timer always available? I can tell I don't have access to the content because it's grayed out, so why not always have the timer in the elite version through the On Duty menu if players click on it?
  4. Backseid Devoted Player

Ok, well I can see you can't be reasoned with at all. I know I was kinda dickish in my first response, and said as much in a later reply, buy you are missing the point entirely here.
  5. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

:oops:

Was I not supposed to post something that agreed with you?
  6. Backseid Devoted Player

What the?! How?

I was replying to the guy that writes in orange. Lol.

No clue why I quoted you. Haha. Sorry.

Oh well, that guy's not getting the point anyway ;)
  7. Veritasum Loyal Player

Mepps was responding to someone else. But anyway. I think the disconnect between your expectations and the general responses here is tha tthe elite lock out system you are loathing right now has been in place since Throne Elite first burst onto the scene. And your original post makes it seem like the devs pulled a fast one on you all of a sudden.
    We can discuss the merits of the system, but it has been there for a long time and so the devs didn't trick you or anything like that. I'm sure you are happy to discuss the system now, but just saying your post came across as if you had been suddenly treated unfairly. Most who play elite content do so well aware of how the lock outs work.
    As to replaying any content, the RB is optional. You can run stuff to help people loot locked. It's not for everybody, but I do this every now and then. I am fairly stingy with RB, but enjoy the content so I'll run it loot locked if it's to help out a friend or two.

For the record, I am of the opinion that when Elite raids reset, that we should be able to run botht he regular and elite versions without RB once.
    • Like x 3
  8. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

Hey Mepps.. I love the idea that ELITE is attached to progress.. My personal suggestion:

1) Elite should always drop epic gear whether its older epic/elite gear(123-126cr) or latest epic/elite gear
    Trash gear should never be included in elite.. Beatin elite makes the gear obtainted RARE in itself.
    2) make elite Loot lock reset once a week up to a month to reset progress point.
    • Like x 1
  9. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

This is good news. I'm glad that Elite content is still being considered a work in progress, because it's definitely not where it should be in terms of difficulty.

When people were asking for a challenge and proposing Elite content, I'm sure the vast majority envisioned you guys producing raids on par with FOS2, Nexus, Paradox at their original difficulty. Something really hard and unbeatable for the most part until many hours had been committed to the content and all obtainable gear outside of the instance itself had been achieved.

Unfortunately, what Elite content feels like is the exact same thing we were asking for an alternative to. It feels like it's taboo to make elite content genuinely tough and possibly unbeatable for fear of alienating the mass market, which is exactly the purpose the Elite content was created for in the first place: something extra for the niche audience to do without alienating the mass market.

Just as an example, I'm sure the devs know that players run a lot of raids with a 5-1-1-1 set up. That's because 1 tank, 1 healer and 1 controller can handle Raid (yellow name bar) NPCs. Those 3 roles make up 75% of an alert group. Throw in a DPS and you've got a balanced 1-1-1-1 alert group. So knowing that survivability is fine with these NPCs in raids, why haven't you tried putting Raid level NPCs inside 4-player Elite alerts? Regular Alert level NPCs simply don't cut it and they enable the community to exclude roles, which is absolutely fine for the regular version, but definitely not fine for the optional Elite version which is supposed to push us to the limit as players.

Another example, from the old FNL episodes and Survival Mode, it's evident that players can handle NPCs with significantly higher CRs than their own. I believe a breaking point is in the region of +20 CR at the moment before NPCs become too powerful for the tanks to handle. So therefore, why in Elite raids, are NPCs just a few CR points higher than their regular counter parts?

Like I say, whether this is the case or not, it feels as though it's taboo to make content ridiculously tough for fear of players not being able to beat the content. The only logical reason as to why you'd care so much about whether or not a player can beat an Elite instance is because you want players to be able to beat it to ensure they keep unlocking the content for more chances at getting that ultimate Elite gear.

If this is the case, then I'd rather the Elite content didn't offer any form of progressive reward, because then you could really push the boundaries and take the handcuffs off. "Can't beat that Elite content? Well, try harder, because we aren't making it easier and we don't have to because progression isn't tied to it".

Just my opinion, though.
    • Like x 1
  10. GhostFly Killah Committed Player

Honestly.. I think it's stupid we have to replay elite after beating reg. It should be clear (like dc/dce). Ppl will still use replays but geez, ppl who don't replay can only run elite twice a month, that's doodoo. But ehhh, not shocking it's setup this way.
    • Like x 3
  11. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

This is why it's a problem, though. The game struggles to attract a hardcore fan base. As a result, the people who remain are lazy, entitled players who don't want to work for anything or have to face any sort of challenge. The developers then start building the game to satisfy their needs which makes the game unattractive to the hardcore gamers who'd carry this game long beyond its expiry date, dated visuals, primitive game engine and lacklustre features.

You really think Joe Casual, who can't be bothered learning how to play or commit to a tough instance is going to stick around when the next big MMO title comes out on consoles, boasting better graphics and more features than DCUO is capable of? Because they aren't. I've witnessed it first hand, too. The type of player DCUO currently appeals to isn't the type of player who invests a lot of time in one game. I'm running through a list of names in my head right now of people who this game appeals to and who are currently off playing other games. Many haven't been on in months.

Even games which would have otherwise been a 1 time deal, with a great story, are evolving into long term MMO commitments (GTA5). Time is not on the developers side here. If the game isn't appealing to either hardcore players or casual players, then the game will be closed down.

I'm not asking for the game to go full on hardcore dedicated players only mode, either. I'm just asking that the supposed optional extra Elite content, actually be Elite and extremely difficult but co-incide with an easier, much more casual friendly version. If that means removing progressive gear from it, then that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. If it can be done with Elite gear remaining in the content, then that would be perfect, but there'll always be the temptation to make things easier/more accessible so people are enticed into replaying it, which is not what the Elite content should be about. Perhaps then, we'll start attracting a better player base, maybe brining back some of the old names and faces who've left because the game doesn't wish to appeal to them any more.
    • Like x 1
  12. lukelucky Devoted Player

So is paying for the game and playing the game. U see our populations? Make no mistake easy content and especially being unable to max out in the best items as we could for years is why my subs speratic vs steady and a given profit the devs can count on.

Affinity mods are no different then say the perk of a central city weapon and we know where and how to obtain that. Subbing or buyong the dlc and grinding marks. ZERO REPLAYS AND Pywalls, or progress points.

Easy contents robbed from us because if its hard everyone cant beat it. Not everyone beating it = limited % who will replay = against the buisness model. Ok b3ing fair thats just the way it seems I mean I dont really know this is how they do it but I am sure it is a popular setiment.

Ask yourself the players who been here since day one. What content do they have? Guys who stuck with you since day one have nothing. SM is the closet but if ur cr is not maxed out u are left out or a burden to the group. Besides that the game is trivial to u and worse u are surronded by under developed players.

Add in progress points, (really?) And u understand why so many are unhappy. Retaining players is what keeps the lights on and if u dont even consider the people who been here since launch......... its a problem. Elite could of been epic
  13. lukelucky Devoted Player

This is not the majority of the population though. This is whats left and new super speed leveled players who still dont know much. We cant call them bad because they have not had time to learn.

The guys who can help us who want a challange are long long gone and replaced by 80 or less skill points or guys wh started 6 months ago.

U explain to me whats changed from the 1st half of the game to the second half of the game and whats the population then vs now like. A few major factors. Percieved cash grabs, lack of challange, and 2nd rate rewards while we cant obtain the best awards. BD elite was released but legendary did not get early access UNLESS they replaid it. The took away a perk but the 3 month sub fee went up. $15 per month is more then $120 a year so unless u commit for a year u pay extra and are loseing a perk. What? U cant treat the best customers this way and expect great results.

The devs created a one of a kind epic game with next gen so close. If they restored the integrity of the game of years one and two mixed with the quality of life improvements and performance upgrades this could be epic. Tje devs are beyond talented
    • Like x 1
  14. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Unless you're Jewish or Muslim or Buddhist or a Seventh-Day Christian or pre-20th century most of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath#Other_religious_traditions
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah, but the world hasn't been isolated little pockets of individual civilisations for nearly 200 years (there are some little pockets left, and some who would like to expand their own little pockets)

Even the Jews, and Muslims, and Buddhists and all the other religions, if they have a job in a 'western' nation, typically start their work week on a Monday, and if they want to do business with someone have to five days in which to do so (unless they or the business in question operates on the weekend)
  16. Backseid Devoted Player

That comparison still doesn't fit with the issue here...

The FACT is that there is no reason for the loot lock to be on a set timer that has nothing to do with when a player beats the original version.

There are only two reasons it is set up the way it is. Only two.

1. To be confusing in order to sell Replay Badges. Nothing more.

2. The game does not have the tech available to have personal timers. I am less likely to believe this, but if somehow that is the case, then the whole concept should have been shelved until such time as it could properly be implemented.

Regardless, the system is poorly done and pisses everyone off. There are several things in this game that are completely unnecessary and serve no purpose other than to piss off 99% of the players. It makes no sense and is infuriating to just sit here and see.

Soder slot on Utility Belts? Sound familiar? Servs no purpose, what so ever, and pisses every single person off. This Elite Lockout is exactly the same.

So please stop arguing for no other reason than to see yourself type. You have no point to make, and no one is going to agree with you. All you are accomplishing, is giving the Devs the idea that crap like this is OK. It is not.
    • Like x 1
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Umm, how is it confusing? You should know by now when the timers are active and when they reset
    Maybe you should take your own self-centred arguments for being an idiot and stop posting as well
  18. Veritasum Loyal Player

I am not going to disagree with any of your points here. I'll just sort of think out loud.

Those of us who've been around a long time and are realistic, see the shift DCUO has made to appeal to today's gamer. What we really don't know is which type of gamer will keep DCUO around for another 5 years. Some would like to think it can only be their type of gamer but we really don't know. If the game is beyond its expiry date and is primitive, I would think there is no type of gamer that could change that. A latest and greatest mmo player is not going to start playing DCUO because the gear drops a lot and elite content is hard. Especially one that is primitive, beyond it's expiration and has lackluster features. I'd say most old and new gamers all want shiny.

There is a very real possibility that the hardcore dedicated player base is dwindling in general and the casual one growing. IMO, if DBG has directed DCUO on the path we're on now, it's for a spreadsheet reason. How it will play out in the end? I don't know, but I think there is enough info out there to suggest that the dedicated player is not the one that is primarily feeding all of the games out there today.

Not making a point about what's better or how to make it better, etc. Just throwing it out there.
  19. Backseid Devoted Player

Lol. You really are upset. How long are you going to push this? You're just digging deeper n deeper.

Why should I know how the timer works? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere. Again, the Devs don't seem to grasp the idea that an important game mechanic needs to be properly explained IN GAME.
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

You are confused and talking about yourself again: it's you who seems to be angry and keeps bringing it up