Is everybody technically capable of DPS?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AgnesEshak, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Saami Loyal Player

I have been puging a lot of new content and cant remember any dps or other role being actually bad.
    I have finished everything relatively smoothly and got bunch of feats.
  2. rival exe New Player

I've seen it happen and done it myself.
  3. erckboy Active Player

All powersets can do damage.

As a beginner, the first thing you wanna do is get Weapon Mastery (avoid pistols and rifle for pve), learn it, then learn a burst move (the strongest+fastest power) for the end of a weapon mastery combo. Then practice rotations using a damage over time, clipped with a buff that enhances damage, one of those applies a PI that enhances your burst move. That's the new DPS101. Look up rotations on youtube and alter your rotation to what you like best, then read up on guides and keep testing new things. *Use spacebar to allocate skillpoints quickly when trying out your weapon masteries.

The appropriate gear is enough for a person to do the damage needed in the content. In newer content, I advise that you get enough SP to get all the crits boosts from all the weapons trees which is, as stated previously, around 120sp, every SP afterwards is icing on the cake. This advice applies not only to dps but healer and troll as well. If you are a DPS, I would only get the fast movement mode from the Movement tree and leave the rest for the Weapon trees. Also, whatever power you are you should be able to play both roles efficiently from T5 on, that should go without saying. However, I know many people that only know 1 role in T6 and many players that have alts for every role. It's your choice but you are only playing 1/4 of the game (heck id even say less considering all the powers) if all you do is 1 thing.

The main advantage of learning to DPS is that sometimes your support role, healer and tank especially, wont cut it. So you get out your dps boots, and get semi-carried, get your new gear and new stats and maybe now you are more suited for tanking or solo healing. The duos and solos are typically alot faster as a dps too.
    • Like x 2
  4. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Get rid of WM, max damage and nerf the AM a little bit and we might have something with a higher learning curve xD

one can only hope lol
  5. Invalid Opinion New Player

or maybe some people use the term loosely.. :cool:
    • Like x 1
  6. Invalid Opinion New Player

Everyone can but not everyone should :cool:
  7. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Should have and must have are 2 different things. You run landw with 4 dps wit less than 100 sp each and lemme know how long it takes. Put together a group off all roles less than 100 sp and let me know how it goes. And 100 sp is not an elitist number.

Ive only done new raid as a healer i prefer healing on occasion. I had no control over length of time in instance when only deaths are 1 shots.
  8. thedemonocus Loyal Player

some powers make better dps than others because they are all not balanced yet but they all can be a dps
  9. rival exe New Player

I use it correctly.
  10. Seth Grey New Player

I'm a recently convert Fire tank.
    As DPS I insist on Fire AM (since I already do HL WM...and all WM are the same which gets monotonous), my gears are all modded might based (as AM should be) but either I just don't get Fire AM or I'm just plain awful at it somehow.

I'm a good HL WM DPS though, I reckon my issue is simply with Fire AM (though I still refuse to do WM with Fire).
  11. Invalid Opinion New Player

I guess you will never be disappointed if you set your bar low :cool:
  12. rival exe New Player

I guess that can be the case but not sure what that has to do with anything.
  13. Invalid Opinion New Player

I am not going to connect the obvious dots for you. :cool:
  14. rival exe New Player

Sure.
  15. Ice Lantern New Player

In theory, everybody can DPS. But in reality, a lot of people really can't.
  16. Ikyotojin Dedicated Player

I can, but my load out needs to change - Remember to optimize your powers and gear for it!
  17. kAiSeR007 Dedicated Player

Lol at those saying everybody can do good dps :D
    • Like x 3
  18. Schimaera Devoted Player

Replace "good" with "decent" and they're probably right. Apart from some completely new players or some without ... basic capabilities .. Weapon Mastery made it happen.
    • Like x 2
  19. Saami Loyal Player

This.
    With max damage mod and wm/am it is so easy to dps that i lost my faith to humanity if someone who can count to ten cant do decent damage.
    Most of the time difference in scoreboards comes from stats and what dps is first to hit mobs.
  20. DCUController New Player

"Is everybody technically capable of DPS" well 2 things:

1) all power sets have 2 roles 1 being DPS
    2) the skill and fluidity to switch between roles is based on the players skill to keep up with how the content changes and how content demands different roles.

example --- say your a gadget DPS ok? Your troll goes down, and no see's it (for what ever reason lol) so you lose the troll. You as gadgets can switch to troll to ensure tank and healer have power.

Why I went / stayed a troll power to DPS with ;) because Im CR109 troll but dont feel like trolling anymore on my main :p