Is DC Universe going to be on PS4?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by x2TMx, May 15, 2013.

1. krnlkrazy New Player

yep its basically it we can speculate but where just stumbling in the dark bashing are head on things
  2. Ch3wtobacco New Player

personally i think ps3 will keep on for year or so as is... with them saying nothing to keep you around and interested... and then they will announce DCUO2 on PS4...after which PS3 will be lucky to get a GU and maybe 1 DLC during the final year and be shut dowm...thats my model anyways...

just dont make sense to port what will be a 3 year old game to the PS4

of course with OUR Devs....never can tell
    • Like x 1
  3. MattMinus New Player

I think there is no chance of a DCUO 2. MMO's almost never put out sequels. EQ2 was considered to be a disastrous move when it was released, as EQ players that had put in years decided to try a new game , World of Something I think, if they were going o have to create new characters anyway.

If an MMO was going to have a sequel, I would expect it would only come something like 7+ years after the first, as a game that couldn't last that long would be considered a failure undeserving of a sequel.
  4. NlNJUTSU New Player

If a PS4 version does come out, I hope that I'll be able to transfer my character over to PC because the PS3 population will decline. I wouldn't mind paying $10~$20 for a server transfer request.
  5. Dolfo Dedicated Player

Could we see a sequel?
    (The possibilities)
  6. RapidRay Committed Player

Consider this....

DCUO has been updated and patched since launch. The core elements of the game are available free to download. No doubt the game's team has had the foresight to make ANY major changes to their base code that would make it useless on the PS4.

I can't see where people keep thinking that the DCUO team or SOE WOULDN'T make the game compatible to the PS4. Game deveolpers get the Sony hardware MONTHS before it's released so they can design new games, test them, work out the bugs, retest and make them ready for release as the PS4 comes out. DCUO has been updated and patched since launch.
    The core elements of the game are available free to download. No doubt the game's team has had the foresight to make ANY major changes to their base code that would make it useless on the PS4.

I'm not a developer, but I think it's very likely that DCUO may well be exempt from many compatibility issues in regards to the PS4 release. We are playing on their servers and connected to them via the PS Network. The PS4 will just be a different PLATFORM by which we communicate to the servers. As long as the current game coding works with the PS4,the worst we will we go through is either having to do that BIG download again on PS4s. If you're still running from the disc, that could raise some issues, but, again, you'll still have to get the latest version update to keep current to the game.

DCUO will gain from the PS4's more powerful processor and graphic rendering speed. The developers and the rest of the DCUO team will be able to take advantage of those improvements over the long term.

I find it hard to believe they would cancel all subscriptions, shut down the servers and hang over 1.5 million people on the USPS3 servers alone out to dry.
    Not a very good business model...
  7. Dolfo Dedicated Player

Quite true and really they have no reason to confirm or deny that it wont be on the PS4 or some type of sequel even especially given the time and money they have already put into DCUO. On top of all that the revenue that Sony in general gets from DCUO.
  8. RapidRay Committed Player

and before I forget....

SCEA is the abbreviation for Sony COMPUTER Entertainment of America. Not unlike the PC players, we connect to the game servers via an internet connection. Where we differ is that Playstation players have the PSN portal to go through. This is a contractual arrangement for ALL PS versions of games that access online servers.

That's actually not a bad thing. Our PSN accounts required to log on to DCUO will be active on the PS4 without having to create new ones. Translation: Buying a PS4 isn't going to make you lose your account. Your characters, purchases of DLC, Base Styles, etc will not disappear.

What remains to be seen is whether or not separate servers will be needed for the PS3 and PS4. I've no doubt that has been a HIGH priority of the Devs as they would much prefer this not happen to it's player base. PS4 sales will be brisk at launch, but it would be hurtful to this game if those players who will not be getting a PS4 for a while can't continue playing with their friends and league members.
  9. Dolfo Dedicated Player

Exactly many fail to realize that simple fact.
  10. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

If PS3 Architecture is as unique as some articles interviewing Developers say, perhaps the DCUO PC version would be more suited to be used (ported, transferred as is, or wrapped in an emulator of some sort) on the PS4. (food for thought) Not meaning to say, PC players will be able to move to PS4. Platforms will (imho) always be isolated (PSN-NA, PSN-EU = which will be PS3 and PS4 retaged as PSN; PC-NA, PC-EU) Just a guess.
    GW1 to GW2? 2nd version of mmo was mentioned? How many years between titles? ALSO, how long was PS1 sold & supported? PS2 was supported and sold for how long? There could very well be a DCUO2 on PS4, but it may be made on the 8th year after PS4 launch. o_O :p
  11. Dolfo Dedicated Player

Honestly the PS3 can barely support the game from a technical standpoint for DCUO to keep adding new DLC or mechanics to the game. The console side would definitely need the hardware upgrade that the PS4 has/will have over the PS3.
  12. Battle Man Committed Player

In a word: Nope.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No. It can't happen, won't happen, and never has happened in the history of gaming.

Conclusion: DC Universe Online is currently available for the Playstation 3 and PC. Good day.
  13. crownclownking New Player

who knows if dcuo would be on the ps4 i'll just wait until the devs have an answer to this question . Either way i wont lose sleep over it if is not ported to the ps4 cause is just one game. But yea if you want to keep playing dcuo but don't know if it will be on the ps4 then yea go over to the pc side cause im pretty sure they will keep it alive over there .
    • Like x 1
  14. Dolfo Dedicated Player

What ever happens that is true it is only 1 game and I will be getting a ps4 either way.
  15. crownclownking New Player

yup if anything i hope it encourages game companies to come out with mmos on the console because ppl would play them of course it helps if there f2p:D but yea hope the ps4 has at least an one mmo whether that will be dcuo or not doesn't matter i just want it to have a similar combat system like dcuo.
  16. Dolfo Dedicated Player

I do support f2p to an extent however I'm legendary and do understand that this is a business and also realize some1 has to pay in order to help keep the game running.
  17. melvinpox Devoted Player

This is correct. Until an official announcement has been made people are just guessing. Nobody actually knows. I will say the same thing I've been saying. DC Universe Online is more profitable now than at any time before. More players now than at any time before. The product is better than at any time before. If this trend continues...relax.
    They will find a way to accomodate everyone.
    Well...as much as humanly possible anyway.
  18. Dolfo Dedicated Player

Like I stated in the op, is me basically agreeing with you.
  19. Funky New Player

OK for those of you who think dcuo will die ON the PS3 WITH the PS3? I gotta tell you friend YOU! ARE! WROONG! why?

There are so many ports and older games available on PSN, my PS3 was one of the first with backwards compatibility and still runs DCUO, unbelievably. Besides, with playsation plus allowing you to save your data in digital space rather than the hard drive AND the fact that DCUO is on PSN right now and can be downloaded whenever AND- ooops sources tell me that actually PSN games and saves will NOT transfer to Ps4....

I am Funky Bone and I WAS WRONG but I have retracted my statement
  20. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Ok so official was the wrong word to use, I was tiered sorry. Basically what I saw put doubts on it happening but it is possible with how SOE had a no comment at this time approach.