Is DC Universe going to be on PS4?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by x2TMx, May 15, 2013.

1. Nekron 99 Loyal Player

Very true although Sony has only announced a few games and Developers of other games are very quiet about what they are working on which indicates there are non-disclosure agreements in place. Which I don't blame Sony. Like I said I'm sure either after E3 (June 11-13) or at SOE Live (August 1-4) we'll find out.
  2. Madara Well-Known Player

DCUO 2 won't happen..they spent way too much money making DCUO (rumored to be $50 Million in development on launch) besides it would hurt them..a lot of people wouldn't want to re-do everything and start over..especially considering the PS4 isn't a giant generation gap..seeing as PC's have been above that standard for a few years already, what the PS4 is really doing is improving the overall quality and performance but at its core it will still be similar to the PS3..just far better capable of handling high intensity moments/games without losing FPS, should also run all games are higher FPS's as the new CPU for it is a huge upgrade from PS3's..

If lucky it will be ported. Cross-platform play won't ever happen though between PS4-PC, PC users would have an advantage over console users still just from the power of a mouse over a joystick, but PS4 is going to resemble a PC more then any other console before (unless Xbox's announcement says otherwise..) so in theory it should be possible, seeing as the 64-bit architecture is more then capable of handling it with ease.
  3. Breedin Bull New Player

Not this cr*p again.
  4. Madara Well-Known Player

Developers don't lie. Cross platform has been possible for a while now..its not done because of clear advantages of being a PC user fighting/playing with Console users.

Its not meant to be a "bash" on console players..its simply a core reason Cross-platform isn't done.

Another core reason is PC users are able to change and mod files, creating cheats and advantages that they would..more then likely torment console users with.

Xbox and PS3 would be fine Cross platform as both are similar in nature, problem is the two companies cannot agree with each other to do something like that, even if a game developer is willing such as CoD.
  5. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/189368/ Gamasutra article: Inside the PlayStation 4 with Mark Cerny
    Though he began with the technology, "wanting to lead the effort wasn't based on any specific beliefs at that time -- other than that clearly we had had some issues with PlayStation 3, in that a very developer-centric approach to the design of the PlayStation 4 would just make things go more smoothly overall."

"The biggest thing was that we didn't want the hardware to be a puzzle that programmers would be needing to solve to make quality titles," says Cerny. He's referring here to the fact that the CELL processor, which powers the PlayStation 3, was extremely powerful by 2006 standards -- but also notoriously difficult to work with.

This is a (relatively) new article, but I saw the press on the difficulties of the PS3 as a platform for developers years ago, and jumped ship.
    (imho) The writing on the wall that I saw, was PS3 is the equivalent of a Mac with a Power PC CPU, as opposed to a Mac with an Intel CPU. Do I have to explain the difference of the Power PC and Intel CPU for Mac users? (go look it up)
  6. Singlemaltkiller New Player

No, still playing off my disc from preorder.
  7. Madholm New Player

PS4 is using x86 architecture which means it's a PC at it's core.

Based on the the PS4 specs, porting over the PC version of the game would be easier than continuing to develop for the PS3.
    • Like x 1
  8. MattMinus New Player

I love these threads, when people start talking as if they have no idea what the words they are using mean.

'It'll definitely be on PS4 because it's a server"

Wait..what?

My sense is that they're not going to port it, at least not at launch. I don't think the conversion of ps3 to ps4 users is going to be huge at launch, and their plans probably call for some concurrent support of both systems. PS3 doesn't go extinct the moment ps4 launches, so I can't imagine it would be an immediate priority, especially as I don't think the game has ever done better than "OK".
  9. Master Manipulator New Player

Threads like these make me wanna punch babies...
    • Like x 2
  10. Rumour Committed Player

Not ever going to happen. New stories will come in the form of DLCs or expansions. Graphics can be only improved on based on hardware, hence PS4. Gameplay changes from updates/hotfixes.
  11. Corrupted Ertai New Player

It's called software porting and it requires an overhaul of the entire coding structure. All the game code would have to be reconfigured to function correctly in the PS4 virtual environment. To put it VERY simply, they have to translate the game code into another "language" that the PS4 firmware and OS will be able to read and execute.
  12. Ch3wtobacco New Player

have a hard time believing they will run alll of these

USPC is there eu pc?
    USPS3
    EUPS3
    USPS4
    EUPS4

i know i sure as heck wont buy a ps4 until its at LEAST 2 years into its run...plus its a different computer code

its MORE LIKELY they will do dcuo 2 on ps4 than port over
  13. krnlkrazy New Player

now wait a minute i think we can say that there is a chance they always say we cant say anything on the subject. so why would they do that if it wasnt going to be why keep a veil over the answer. also id like to note that all studios involved with DCUO where in the third party support list or whatever its called its that one picture they showed that had a bunch of studios on it
  14. krnlkrazy New Player

also they did say its a lot like PC structure in coding so maybe it isn't as hard just a thought
  15. Ch3wtobacco New Player

ever hear this one?
    "How do you keep an idiot in suspense?.... tell you tomorrow."

16. Mighty Hyperion Committed Player

i would have to say that this game would obviously be on the PS4.. why would they risk losing millions of members due to a new console. not only would the PS4 be able to process the game better but it wouldn't be all that hard (reletively speaking) to upgrade the system to ps4. plus all characters and info is server based so you wouldnt' need anything more than to be able to access that.
  17. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
  18. krnlkrazy New Player

they haven't said its not on it and haven't said it is on it. They had a picture showing which companies where going to be making and supporting the ps4 on that picture happened to be all studios involed with DCUO. This included the following Warner Brothers, and SOE here is the picture [IMG]
  19. krnlkrazy New Player

also this could mean anything but it might suggest that DCUO might be on PS4 it is a Sony owned game so they might be willing to put the work in knowing it might make MONEY!!
  20. thenewkidd New Player

Seriously, where does it say you cannot own both PS3 AND PS4?

IF you want to play halo, guess what.... you have to own an XBox....
    If you want to play Mario Bros... yup, you guessed it... Buy a Nintendo.

You want to play DCUO... get a frikken PS3...

I own 3 consoles... because I play 3 games.... Zelda Link to the past... nope... not for the Wii or WiiU... I have my Super Nintendo for that.

I should call Sony up though because since I cannot own more than one system that they need to get Zelda's rights and make one for PS4.