Ideas on Revitalizing Old Content

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ThePanda, May 31, 2021.

1. ThePanda Active Player

So ever since "Combat Relevancy" was introduced which for some reason my mind remembers it being added to try to convince players to go back into old content and play it.. but I think I am just mistaken. Anyways, I have been trying to think up possible ways to repopulate the lower tier content.

I have imagined many scenarios and while most seem appealing to me, that would not be the case for many others I am sure.

Something I have thought of would be to update the Armory System with a sub-menu. Adding in three complete gear set slots (so you have a range of three different Tiers to activate) for you to fill up with gear from previous tiers of which it has to be a single tier's set (between a set combat rating based on the first piece put into one of the slots).

Activating the sub-armory would change your combat rating based on the gear along of course with the stats no matter which pieces of gear you are wearing till you reactivate the same Sub-Armory to disable it, you also couldn't activate it inside instances you are already in. This would allow you to go back and participate in the older content and not outright ruin the possible fun for other players who are working towards gearing up and don't want to be carried.. Yes some people like that exist.

This would allow reasonable replayability to old content, giving players a reason to go back into old stuff to get the full extent of rewards and not just "Loot Items".

Another one would be to add a Loot Roulette choice kind of thing. Where you can pick between "Gear" "Base Items" or "Random" once you are outside of "Combat Relevancy". Gear of course would give you a gear choice menu of gear relevant for the instance, as with Base Items it would give you choices of Base Items. The Random option can be gear, base item or mark drop. The Mark Drop could be 1, 5 or 10 Source Marks (or relevant Mark that has yet to be converted to Source Marks as it's still "in tier range".)

I know some people won't like this and that is fine, we all have our own likes and dislikes. I just think it would be great to try to incentivize players to go back and do older content in some way. Since possibly running content for maybe 1 source mark just won't cut it for me at least, I like to help others but even I have my limits I hit eventually.

What would be some ideas others would think would work... that wouldn't be "give me stuff" or "just get rid of it" or asking for way to much for way too little work.. it is an MMO after all, the grind will always be there.
  2. Robotsidekick Active Player

Before anything they need to address the dying community because there's not enough low level players left to fill those instances. Big updates needed to the game, graphics, engine, new powers.. got to attract people back, can't be lazy anymore, more competition is coming from Marvel to kill this player base even further.
  3. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Yeah EU server is really becoming dead now, a lot of players leaving the game this episode.

You notice it a lot more over here when you struggle to find group for alert even on hero side - more so if you aren't on around late afternoon/evening time. EU server is dead in the morning, early afternoon, and late at night (apart from maybe weekly reset).

There's little promotion for the game also.

I know I will be taking breaks from DCUO this year as PS5 games come out.

I can't imagine how the Xbox and Switch servers are.
  4. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

As for the OP, there's a few things.

1. Add Quarks to older content as drops so players can get Time Capsule style feats from the vendor. No-one really spends on Time Capsules anymore these days.

2. Make artefacts significantly easier to level and more accessible. The sooner this happens the better for the health of the game. Its alienating and off-putting to anyone who wants to come back to the game, or more casual players. Once this happens we might get more interesting content rather than 5-10 minute raids every episode. Older content could drop large nth metal, Seals of Preservation and more. Maybe rotate each week which older content drops this.
    • Like x 1
  5. zNot Loyal Player

Hope the devs learn from the mistake
  6. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

I got you :D
  7. Vella Well-Known Player

US Switch is small, but active. This episode has brought an influx of newer players. Surprisingly on the villian side. So older content has been popping some, when there isn't League Mates on. Leagues is the best way around the Qs not popping.
  8. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Horizon looks great, can't wait.
  9. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

If they offered platform transfers the Switch would be great. Even better if the whole game was cross platform servers on top of that. It is so boring at work during the winter months. We all just sit around the office. Playstation remote play is terrible
  10. Vella Well-Known Player

Until the devs solve the issue of lag on the switch, I'm against mergeing servers. Especially when pc players have a clear advantage over console, and especially switch players in terms of DPS out. Plus theyed have to reset everyone's cash. I don't think pc players would be happy with that.
  11. Rejchadar Inquisitor

you can always buy GPD WIN 2 ... or GPD WIN 3 (both are stronger than a Switch(on GPD WIN 2, I ran several DCUO simultaneously without lags ...) ... they use Windows, so if your main character is on the PC, then you won't even need to create a new character ...
  12. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

PC and PS had different economies and there was the PS3 with worse fps/ram than the switch and the PC/PS merge worked just fine. Having advantage isn't quite a thing on a MMO, even more when the huge majority of the Switch community is casual. It's better to have some lag here and there than not being able to play at all.
    • Like x 1
  13. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

The launch of this episode was really great in my opnion and queues were popping really fast, now it takes a while even to run the event version on my alts. Not sure if it's just my perception, but it looks like the episode isn't holding people as much as Wonderverse and even Legion
  14. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Platform transfers will probably never be possible because it can't be a 1 only way only thing (PC->Switch/Xbox/PSN) and the companies won't accept it being 2 ways without a lot of compensation. Plus, there are the economy issues. If you don't reset inventory/cash, players would just use inflationated cash from PC to buy cheap things on Switch.
  15. Celestial Paragon Dedicated Player

Link to my Post in Developer Discussion that I believe falls under this topic as well, would love to hear your guys feedback on this idea as well.

I can start a new thread if you guys think it's a good idea.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...duty-menu-feedback.314703/page-6#post-4405450

Reposting it again here:

Is there a way that a On Duty Daily roulette system can be implement into DCUO much like the one in Final Fantasy XIV Online?

[IMG]

What would Daily roulettes be?

Daily On Duty Roulettes would be a feature for theOn duty menu which would allow players to participate in randomizedinstances that other players might be queued for since there is a decreased player population in older content. This will allow older content to still be played as well as new players or characters will be able to easily queue for and complete instances without having insane wait times.

Various different roulette modes could be added or changed to reflect the changing state of the game.

On Duty Roulette could be divided into several categories:

- Elite Roulette (Must Meet Instance Requirements)
    - Expert 8 player Roulette (The Most Recent 3 Episodes)
    - Expert 4 player Roulette (The Most Recent 3 Episodes)
    - Expert 2 player Roulette (The Most Recent 3 Episodes)
    - 8 player Roulette (All 8 player Instances excluding the most recent 3 episodes as long as player meets minimum CR requirement of instance)
    - 4 player Roulette (All 4 player Instances excluding the most recent 3 episodes as long as player meets minimum CR requirement of instance)
    - 2 player Roulette (All 2 player Instances excluding the most recent 3 episodes as long as player meets minimum CR requirement of instance)
    - Storyline/Leveling Roulette (All Storyline/Leveling player Instances as long as player meets requirements of instance)
    - PVP Legends Roulette (All PVP Legends Instances)
    - PVP Roulette (All PVP Instances)

*Loot Locks will function as normal but players will still receive their daily reward on top of the rewards that would be received from completion of the Instances
    *Players must queue alone for roulettes
    *If players are queuing as support roles, Roulettes would allow one to eight players to queue as a group depending on if the roulette role requirements are met.

*The Daily On Duty Roulette would offer a daily reward that give the players a combination of experience, Cash, Source Marks (PVE), Current Episode Marks (PVE), Renown (PVE), Marks of Legend (PVP) and, Marks of Valor (PVP) depending on the type of duty, your role depending on what is currently needed (PVE) , and the players CR when entering the queue. The type and number of marks available for each roulette would change with each new Episodes.

• Roulettes would reset every day except Elite and Expert Roulette
    • Source Marks are given to players who are at least level 30.
    • End-game Marks rewards are only given to players who meet the minimum CR requirement of those Episodes.
    • The Cash amounts and Renown are based on the Players CR.
    • The "In Need" Bonus is given to the party role (Tank, Healer or DPS) that is most needed for the Instances in that category, but players must queue individually in order to qualify. The bonus stacks with the daily rewards, and is received every time a player completes a roulette while meeting the requirements, even if they have already earned the daily reward are loot locked.
    • Daily PVP Roulette: Gives a fixed amount of Marks ie 500 Marks of Valor and 25 Marks of Legend

- Elite Roulette (Must Meet Instance Requirements)
    Elite places the player into one of the Elite instances that are available for the most recent episode

Daily Rewards: Cash, Source Marks, Current End Game Marks, Renown, Exobyte Cache, Nth Metal Cache

- Expert 8 player Roulette, Expert 4 player Roulette, Expert 2 player Roulette (Must Meet Instance Requirements)

Expert places the player into one of the instances that are part of the most recent 3 episodes
    Daily Rewards: Cash, Source Marks, Current End Game Marks, Exobyte Cache, Nth Metal Cache

- 8 player Roulette, 4 player Roulette, 3 player Roulette (Must Meet Instance Requirements)
    Normal places the player into Random instances that are unlocked by the player
    Daily Rewards: Cash, Source Marks, Exobyte Cache, Nth Metal Cache

- Storyline/Leveling Roulette (All Storyline/Leveling player Instances as long as player meets requirements of instance)
    Storyline/Leveling Places player into Random Storyline/Leveling instances that are unlocked by the player
    Daily Rewards: Cash, Source Marks, Exobyte Cache, Nth Metal Cache

- PVP Legends Roulette (All PVP Legends Instances) & PVP Roulette (All PVP Instances)
    Places player into the respective PVP instances
    Daily Rewards: Cash, Marks of Legend, Marks of Valor, Exobyte Cache, Nth Metal Cache

I hope all of this made sense and could be something that can be implemented in the game :)
  16. Vella Well-Known Player

Try hot swapping arts on the switch during the laggest of raids during peak hours, and tell me pc players don't have the advantage.
  17. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Yeah the launch seemed OK. Now I struggle to Q the duo, or it takes a very long time.
  18. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

With the amount of content DCUO has, it's really baffling that they're still not implementing Roulettes (FFXIV).
    • Like x 1
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

While the idea of a 'sub armory' sounds interesting (although not sure how it would be implemented), I'm not sure I'd want to have to support 3 full sets of gear in my bank/inventory. Also, even if you were locked from activating another armory in the instance, could you switch your gear manually? If not, what happens if you go into say 'ToTD' and the guy who queued as tank is NOT a tank....and you cannot switch...lower gear or not, you need to be a tank to kill the essence. GOM, same thing. If there are no tanks, or maybe even a troll (for heal debuff) that 2nd boss fight will be a bear, especially figuring that now there are no high level goons to smash things up for you. Once people drop from the group, can you inv someone else who is NOT using a sub armory? If not you might be stuck in there for hours shouting for fillers or queued...if so, well...there's your 'please come smash for us' loophole.

Unfortunately these requests always seem to teeter between 'I want more source marks' and 'I want a legit run of the content'. People who really want to experience a 'challenging' run in old content should not really need the source as motivator and people only looking to farm source don't really want a challenge like it was originally intended....so most of the proposed solutions won't fit both camps. It's a problem to be sure, but I'm not sure there is a solution to both 'issues'.

And we already have a loot roulette of sorts, it's the loot chooser in raids at least. There is a source mark in it, as well as likely a base item, old gear or maybe plans or whatever + the 'out of relevancy' random drop of prestige, Victory token or yep....source mark.
  20. Celestial Paragon Dedicated Player

A "syncing" system could be placed on old content, which would be a selection on the queue screen right under the role selection tab in which you could chose to run it "Synced" or "Un-Synced" with your current gear and stats. "Syncing" would basically stat clamp the players stats to the "Max CR" for that content (ie. CR 70 for the Expert FOS raids). and they would be paired with players that are either between the Minimum CR and the "Max CR" or others that have opted to select the "Sync" option. Players who have selected the "Un-sync" option will be paired with everyone, who has decided to queue as "Un-Synced" including players that meet the minimum CR requirement who have chose to run "Un-Synced" as well.

*Players who decide to run the content "Synced" will receive full marks

*Players who are above the"Max CR" and decide to run the content "Un-Synced' will only receive half the marks

"Max CR" would be similar to how after a certain CR in current game we stop receiving the marks