Honest Criticism & Bring Back Skill

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Horrorshow, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Zizzi New Player

That's the thing though, I'm confused with what your opinion was. In your first paragraph you stated that these things gave another dimension to PvP, which sounded positive. Then in the last paragraph you are saying they should all be removed from PvP.

Frankly, I'm not sure if you think these are good or bad and why you think it is good/bad for PvP.
  2. Horrorshow New Player

I stated that the home turf stuff should be moved from being a trinket-slot to an actual power-slot, so that would not make them a trinket anymore. To me, all trinkets besides a break-out trinket should be removed. It ruins PVP. That is what I said.

The home turf stuff, consumables, and utility belt are a good idea; they were poorly executed though. They did not think about some of the stuff and how it would ruin PVP. Some of it is really good but the bad outweighs any good they did.
  3. Talve Dedicated Player

Now this is part i would avoid (even though my play style would benefit from it, a lot).

I like the idea of playing to your strengths in action based game ( like your regular fighting game).
    If you have a quick lunge on weapon, bait out blockbreakers.
    If you have good blockbreaker, try to catch blocks and so on.
    If you want average mix of both, look for jack of all trades weapon.

Having easy access to everything you want in mid combat would actually somewhat dumb down the game.
    Just sit on sideline spamming blockbreakers.
    Hey, you caught me, let me switch to good close combat weapon.

Why you can get away with those kind a powers in Legends is because there are no dedicated healers.
    Getting 1 hard stun for spamming blockbreakers may mean half your hp you can't easily get back, while in Arena you can play much more aggressive.

But lets be honest, sooner or later something like that will happen.
    There is only so many utility slots / additional powers (controller has limited amount of keys) and pets / mods they can throw at us. Sooner or later when they need another "game changer", something like this will be available.
  4. Horrorshow New Player

Lol it will happen. They will make it a trinket though and allow you to use it in the tool belts. ;/
  5. Chungweishan New Player

In regards to the evolving weaponry and people must adapt, the problem is for every gimmick to cater and encourage new players into Arenas, veterans figure out the most efficient and skillful ways to use them. Thus a new type of gimmick is needed. Which in the end, some players would prefer no gimmicks at all. Whereas the gimmicks might encourage a few high-geared T4-PvE players into Arenas, it definitely discourages the rest especially new players if they don't have the current in-game resources to even compete with the gear-gap widening.

However, I look at PvP-Arenas more like Mixed Martial Arts, for example UFC. It started off as a showcase of different martial art disciplines. It has limits and rules of what can and cannot be done in the octagon. The sport evolved to participants learning various disciplines to become more effective. But what if they just add guns, grenades, and attack dogs so anyone can participate. That's the problem. Those changes would be so drastic that it's no longer an appreciation of martial arts skill. That is what is happening with DCUO PvP-Arenas nowadays.
    • Like x 9
  6. Yallander Loyal Player

I'm so proud of you....makes me cry.

This is exactly the issue. What CCBatson brought up is more like the changes made to rifle, dual pistols, dual wield, martial arts, and one handed. Vets didn't have a problem switching it up and using other tools to still win. It would be more appropriate an example would the longbow uses of switched to crossbows and said LOL at the noobs trying to use crossbows. If you haven't seen my video about pets it is a decent example of what happens when a vet decides to let go the "standard" and just run what the FOTMers run. It doesn't take anything to win with this new stuff in play. I ran some lairs with that same build and it took longer for the cut scenes to finish that for me to down an opponent most of the time. It isn't fair for new players and discourages more than it encourages people to PVP.
  7. Zizzi New Player

If all trinkets took up a power slot, then what good is a Utility Belt? Or even a trinket slot for that matter? Would we all just have consumables?
  8. Battle Man Committed Player

Man, that UFC analogy is exactly how I see it too.

Well said.
  9. Mista E New Player

very well said.
  10. Radium Devoted Player

I think you should tweak the analogy a little bit because this would be amazing to watch.
    • Like x 1
  11. Woodler New Player

I salute you.
  12. dWI New Player

these are the two points i agree with, the rest i dont. most people do in fact have more than one weapon they use and have all unlocked for innates. so they should give us the opportunity to have a secondary weapon. certain weapons have strong points in different situations like staffs for deflecting ranged attacks and the built in flamethrower of rifles. it shouldnt be too difficult since joker already has two weapon types. however i would prefer if for players it wasnt a power used to switch but a trinket, could be called a weapon sheath. i wouldnt even mind if they put many limitations on it. limitations i would suggest are you must buy the specific type for the weapon you want to sheath and that it can only be used outside of combat to make it more fair. also make it so that only one weapon sheath can be equipped at a time. they could also allow us to choose the style for it.

and gear means very little in pvp now. T2 armor with a T4 weapon can be just as effective as T4 armor and weapon. i would say tactical mods are more important than having T4 pvp gear. as for skill points, someone with 120 is just as good as someone with 160. the only thing the person with 160 has over them is more secondary weapon combos unlocked. that is why something like secondary weapons would great for high level content. player skill matters now more than ever. with blockings overuse at an all time high thanks to explosive block, anyone who understands block breaking is a great asset to any team.
  13. Yallander Loyal Player

Regarding weapon switching they could just do what GW2 does and make the "~" key do the change. I would prefer if it could only be used after a combo and before the next combo started.
  14. Horrorshow New Player

In PVP arenas it matters. For PVE and open world PVP it is fine. People are abusing it way too much inside arenas.
  15. Horrorshow New Player

the Devs approach to PVP. Its all about farting rainbows and cats made of strawberry pop-tarts. :D
  16. TheHiddenFace New Player

I wouldn't mind the new stuff so much if it wasn't so OP.
    You know there's something wrong when 3 henchmen manage to out dps the person that summoned them.
    Also, supply drop.... Heals soo much. It's basically an instant hp restore
  17. Brit Loyal Player

Normally you and I see eye to eye on this, Jade (though I still think Strategy in Legends resolves 3/4ths of the problems, rather than splitting the queues for a third type of PvP). You make a very valid point here though that I hadn't considered, and I'll have to log in for some serious and objective PvP to feel it out myself.

For a long time now, many of us have been complaining about the lack of competition. We don't want squash wins (or squash losses); we want hard-fought competition regardless of who wins. Most of the more dedicated PvPers aren't actually in it for the Marks; we're a differant breed than PvE folk. Our whole enjoyment comes from facing a real challenge.

While it's a backwards way of implementing it, perhaps this was the Dev's way of giving us more challenging matches without having to actually add Ladder Matches to find skilled players. We're bridging the gap so that we can have closer matches against people with no clue what they're doing. The DCUO motto for 2013 appears to be "Skill still matters... kinda".

Skill has gone the way of Skill Points. Back in the day, they were important. But with every smattering of new content, we have introduced something new to diminish their total value. Skill Points now make up barely 3% of your total stat, while they used to be over 15%. And Skill in PvP is now a hurdle which can be overcome with the use of pets, mainframes, and PvE abilities/gear. For people too skill-deficient to handle pushing the block button, they have pets to split damage. For people who can't handle clipping to deal damage, they have orbital strike. For people who cannot manage power, there is supply drop. For people who just mash buttons mindlessly, somebody else can Party Pack soda for them. etc.

Guess DCUO's plan was to eliminate skill so they could increase competition.
    • Like x 1
  18. Owl Devoted Player

Isn't Legends PVP based on Skill since most Legend characters have roughly the same stats?
  19. Yallander Loyal Player

That is debatable based on some feelings about marketplace characters. Also playing with roles and counter class mechanics requires a level of skill not found in legends. Legends is fun, but at the end of the day I'd rather a good fight with my own character over using a preset dps.
  20. Horrorshow New Player

I have a lot more fun with arenas, when I am not up against people who are abusing the new stuff. I really hope they take note of everything said so far and fix PVP. If anything they should add lobbies so people can que up with people who don't abuse the new stuff.

What is this I hear about new mods? Someone told me about new mods that have certain abilities. Can someone tell me more about it and if it effects PVP or not?