HEY Try to Win With Dignity

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by TheRealDeathern, May 30, 2014.

1. Gunny New Player

Good lordy, TheRealDeathern...

The matchmaking system is designed on WINS and LOSSES. Considering the fact you are being totally single-minded and are only thinking that gear is the almighty factor of you winning or losing, you really need to sit back and look at the whole picture.

The differences between cash gear and Full android is so small that one could more than easily make up for that with an SP advantage. Not to mention the ability to inflict/avoid counters in a match is the most influential decisionmaker on who wins or loses. The matchmaking system takes the result of all of these factors - whether you win or lose against your opponent, and ranks you accordingly. If you win a match, your rank will go up. If you lose, your rank will decrease. OVER TIME, the ranks will become more and more accurate with your ton's potential - including your gear, SP, loadouts, role, powerset, and skill.

Frankly, if a player honestly believes they can waltz right into PvP and actually win their first few matches, they need to get that entitlement ripped out of their head even more than they will be in that first match. If they stick with it, the matches will get more competitive. If they will be turned off to PvP because of losing their first few matches.....I cant say I'd want them to PvP anyways. Might be doing us a favor.

Oh, and speaking of contradictions, you're arguing on this thread more aggressively than you fought in that match you're talking about. You're going to expose him of a contradiction by stating your own?

He knows only what you told us here on this thread. One would assume they did not talk trash, or you would have said so in your OP (to get us to show you more sympathy).... You're only mad they came after you after you given up on yourself. We were not there, but you know.... this thread does tell us either you're terrible at telling the real story, you regularly omit details, OR they were not talking trash.

----------------------------------------------------

You went into a match thinking you're gods greatest gift with your buddy.... these opponents of yours showed you which end of the knife is which, you decided (after trying plenty of times) to give up and come up with an excuse why you lost (gear...LOL), and then once you lost your dignity because you gave up, you're on here trying to get some sympathy for some off-the-wall excuse.

These guys probably were on to fight players. You stepped in the ring....you're stuck in the ring until you step out by leaving....or the match ends. Clearly, neither happened....so you are 100% fair game. They didn't disrespect you. You disrespected yourself.

Get over it. Let the thread die. Move on.
    • Like x 3
  2. TheRealDeathern New Player

Hey Gunny.

I will stop replying to posts when they stop coming, so as long as individuals feel they have reason to post, I will comment on them. I treat all my threads this way.

Second, I did blame more than gear, I blamed matchmaking. I said gear should be part of the equation when determining matchmaking. In other words, a 90 player fully modded would be pitted against like opponents with similar gear and similar win/loss ratio, not players in green cash gear...

I also blamed myself and my partner. I commended our opponents for having more skill and being able to stomp us in the ground. Some of these things are found in various posts I have made since the opening statement. You can dig through the 10 pages of conversation and find them if you wish....

My only point is that for new PVPers, continuing to stomp your opponent when they obviously have given up, may lead to less PVPers, and in turn the quality of PVP will suffer in the long run because these players wont develop into good PVPers... this simple fact is the true reason for the thread, not some bitterness of a match. You can tell this by the highlighted comments in my opening statement.

Third, I went into the match hoping to get marks. That is all. I didn't think I was god of anything. I've lost plenty, why would I think I was god?!?! Many assume by my post I suck at PVP, I haven't played much, I need more time, experience, etc. etc. etc. and that's OK, let them. Most of these assumptions are incorrect but hey, to each their own.

I am aware of the contradiction to the contradiction of the contradiction, yep. :D

Cheers and have a good day.
  3. Gunny New Player

@ TheRealDeathern

Yeah. Gear DOES play a factor in the matchmaking. That is the point I am conveying here.

People will be better with better gear. Does that mean it is the deciding factor? No. People with less gear can beat them by other means.

However, gear helps them win. A win gives them more stiff competition. ANYTHING that gives them an edge helps them win, which in turns leads to higher ranks in matchmaking, which leads to stronger opponents. Therefore, gear, skill, SP, and everything else a player uses all is factored into matchmaking based on their performance with those tools.

A player in full 90 gear can easily be pitted against green cash gear - if that full 90 player gets his hind-in kicked enough that his matchmaking rank is low enough to face that competition.

Its a tough love kind of world out there. People come on to fight. When you give in but don't step out of the ring, then they'll keep fighting. You might think you stepped out of the ring, but you didn't - you're still in the match. As long as you are in that match, you should be working for the win all of the way to the final message of "You win" or "You lose".

As I said previously. New players will either take the nasty loss and learn from it, or never come back. Frankly, if you thought you'd walk in and PvP as good as players who've been at it awhile, you're sorely mistaken. You gave effort - but you didn't give maximum effort.

Also pointed out earlier, there's other reasons in-game they'd do this. Maybe they're looking for finishing an arena missive and needed those last few kills. Maybe you or your buddy happened to be the movement mode they needed to kill for the missive. Maybe your role was it. Maybe wanted their 10,000th kill. You don't know.

You sit and blame matchmaking, but never gave it a chance. You keep talking like gear is not included in matchmaking, but it is - in the form of results. You're very misinformed on the issue and are repeating false statements to get your point across. I read all 10 pages of this thread and this is what I've seen over and over again to each and every person who responds to your OP.

-------------------------------------------

And as for responding to them? Perfectly fine with that, most people know me very well for doing so.
  4. Gunny New Player

PvP is what it is. Players will take their lumps, work to get better and hope to return the favor down the road.....

... or they'll be instantly put off and not PvP - or just sit around for the free marks to never return.

Changing PvP this way wont make it more or less appealing. In the end of the day, you'll either have that competitive nature and want to fight back.... or you wont. PvP is simply those players that will fight to win. Nothing more.
  5. Saami Loyal Player

I understand OP. It is very frustrating once you realize that there is no way to even put a good fight.
  6. Martian Reaver Well-Known Player

You can claim it is about wins and losses but the reality doesn't stack up. When we login and lose to the same group over and over we know that the whole wins/loses thing is just a myth that PvP sets like to spew. You can preach skill all you want but the characters support role has more of an impact than either player's skill. The matchmaking should get blame, it is bad really really bad.

I don't see any evidence of this. If a player is going to improve they have to be able to see it. When you hit someone 20 times in a row and they take no damage there is no feedback. As long as this rock paper scissor model of roles exists the lesson that is learned by new players is that PvP is broken. The players need to be able to get feedback to improve, that simply doesn't exist right now.
  7. Dephyre Committed Player

I try to be as respectful as my enemy. If I see you are just sitting there letting the time run, then yes I will ABSOLUTELY knock you out. And at the end of the match I will give you a thumbs up for the effort you previously gave. If I have met my match and get put up against a player who is both better geared and better skilled, I will bow courteously, to allow them to know they are the victor today. I will come back more powerful, and a little more skilled than I was when we previously met however.
    • Like x 1
  8. Gunny New Player

@ Martian Reaver

Usually when that occurs it is because there is no one else que'ing the instance.

The matchmaking system likely starts looking for opponents within a set specific range of ranks from yours. As the search progresses, it will probably expand those limits slowly until it eventually finds you a match. When the number of players in a que reaches very low numbers, you may find yourself having to face and lose the same players several times before someone else has a rank closer to yours that is in your que.

You cant blame the matchmaking system if 10 players join a que, and 9 of them are in the top 10 players to ever play (IE: amazing players), and then theres new guy for the 10th. If no one else joins the que, he's facing one of those players, just the one with the worst ranking out of the other 9. There's nothing that can be done about it.

Is it a problem? Yes. Matchmaking cant fix it though, only a larger pool of que's can - which is what map rotation was designed to do, merge the que pools to make it more effective. There's only so much that can be done.

Its not a myth at all, you just don't believe it because you don't see it - even if its been stated on the forums, in patch notes, and even on a loading screen tip now.

-----------------------------------------------------

Oh, a player cant learn about blue immunities?

"Wow, why do I attack this guy and he doesn't take damage for a few seconds?"
    "Hey, whats up with the blue flashing?"
    "Hey, whats up with the white flashing?"
    "Oh, he got DAMAGE IMMUNITY from countering someone?"
    "So basically, as long as I get counters, I can do the same thing?"

One can learn. Its not gamebreaking stuff.

What IS gamebreaking and hasn't been adjusted yet is WM in PvP, but that's another story for another time.

Its not a world one cant learn from. Its just a world one chooses not to learn from. There's quite a huge difference.
  9. Gunny New Player

@ Dephyre

Exactly. Cant ask more of you.
  10. Brondulfr New Player

Idk what to say, except that PVP is like this in every game I've ever played with PVP in it. Some players are disrespectful, others are not. I think the majority in DCUO actually are not that way so I don't see a problem, just a few isolated cases(which are not even worth mentioning tbh).

If this was a serious flaw in the community as a whole, then I would be more concerned.
  11. Sophittia Well-Known Player

You can't make an assumption based on your own experience.

I've never seen one other person say that they don't do pvp because they were spawn killed.
  12. Silent Juice New Player

I totally agree with light derp I want a fight whether it's good or bad. Not having to wait for the match to end because people give up. Hate those people just fight whether you win or lose
  13. Marine Death Committed Player

I totally understand where you're coming from but I also understand where the others are too.

Maybe there could be an option to forfeit the match after it is 75% completed. This way it will try to keep people from just entering the match and forfeiting immediately just so they can earn the marks.

People like myself who like to PVP want to go in and destroy then leave. If people standing around you go for the hunt.

When people just stand around I think they're just in there to get the marks and get out. I want them to earn their marks "maniacal laugh"

14. OMGits2RAW Well-Known Player

What is this honor you speak off in arenas?
    I get tells from scrubs saying I suck even though all they did was finishers with empowered channeling lol. When I make them duel me in pve gear they get their ***** handed them and their supply drops and henchman lol
  15. BubbaKush42 New Player

This is the second thread you've started to cry about pvp and how your feelings are hurt. Suck it up.
  16. Blue Bailey New Player

Well if we had threads and comments for every time a player quit PvP based the bs of DCUO and/or DCUO's experienced PvP players then this site would crash from the traffic
    • Like x 2
  17. Athena191 Level 30

As a maxed player this is my logic-
    *Only maxed players really play arenas
    *If I am doing a duo match it is because I went out of my way to play with someone and I want to actually play. I am not interested in standing around, regardless of your feelings. Plus, I find it aggravating when someone gives up. I play all of my matches through, even if it is clear I am going to loose badly.
    *Only thing rude during PVP is someone mooching marks by queing up and then not fighting, or doing a tag, or a laugh emote at the end. And really you should try to just let that roll off your back as well.

So all in all, stop crying, and play legends until you are maxed.

Maybe, you should try to just get one kill. When I loose bad I adjust my goals to just trying to score a kill.
    • Like x 2
  18. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Me and Sabigya got accused of hacking last night for one shotting a player using Supergirl. As a clarification we weren't one-shotting them. Sabigya was in Two-Face Dom mode (tons of extra damage) and the Supergirl was just spamming heat vision. Fun times. Luckily the whole thing was recorded should it come up again.

Home Turf mods are part of the reason I avoid Arena's though. Not gonna queue up for something if I'm not going to find it fun.
  19. OMGits2RAW Well-Known Player

Are you on PS?
    • Like x 1
  20. True Zen New Player

Practice with a friend in a Scrimmage.