GU39 Preview: Prestige

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Zinbik, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. light FX Steadfast Player

Thanks and 1 other question about prestige. So when we run as a league doing say a raid we each earn a set # of prestige but if we pug we earn that # too, so when we are 2gether as a league does the prestige go right to the league # as a whole and when we pug we need to donate it? Or does it automatically go into the league prestige # whether we pug or run 2gether?
    • Like x 1
  2. TheLoneLantern New Player

So, let's say I have 7 toons (main + 6 alts) in a league, and I fill up each base with the maximum number of items (500 for simplicity's sake). Will I get 500 worth of prestige each week, or 3500?
    • Like x 1
  3. TheLoneLantern New Player

Oooooh, another question!

Will SM count towards Prestige-earning? :D
    • Like x 2
  4. FreedomRollerMan Well-Known Player

I think the question I have is:
    "Will these "prestige" points/currency be something I will earn because I am not in a league or is it exclusive to only those that are currently in a league and not something for everyone to earn?"
  5. The dark knight New Player

While it sounds logical, doesn't this kinda promote NOT helping out lower tier players?
    And is this dynamic based on gear actually worn or on cr?
    • Like x 4
  6. tukuan Devoted Player

That's one way of looking at it, the other is that by helping out lower level leaguemates you are collectively getting the league more prestige more quickly.
    • Like x 2
  7. The dark knight New Player

so...imagine this situation.
    There are only a few people on in the league. One T3, let's say, and four t6s including yourself. While the T2 member is really struggling with a feat or whatever and asks for help in league chat, helping that T3 member would result in significantly less prestige than running t6a or even FR with the other 3 members. If prestige is currently low, there is definitely a tension between interests. In small leagues, this might even lead to low tier members being excluded from being helped because helping them is not going to profit the league as much as doing high tier content. The low tier member might become frustrated and quit the game or league.
    • Like x 1
  8. Jaobigboy New Player

I'm not speaking down to anyone. But if someone is a league member, help them lol. They are supposed to be like online family. I help anyone that ask in our league. But I have been there long enough to view them as extended family. We help the weak so they can be strong, so they can then stand toe to toe with us to smite all toes who oppose you! Giggity! Oh my bad! Soap box disengaged lol! Peace
    • Like x 7
  9. tukuan Devoted Player

In your example it is certainly possible

However the converse is also true, which is to say if 2-3 T2 league members want to run a T2 raid, it is better for the league for me to help them than if I run a T5 alert. First raid bosses yield more prestige than alerts. Second my running a lower tier alert would scale down for me while they would get prestige at face value. Finally there's 3 of them, so it would mean more total.

This example supports my original suggestion that in some leagues this will equate to more assistance to the lower league members. Your example is also valid though. Really at the end of the day, the most positive approach I can see for leagues is to try to recruit members of all tiers so the widest range of content is resulting in prestige for the league.

Of course I'm discarding people who really only want to pad their numbers and don't really care about their league per-sea.

I can only say that personally this will incentivize me to help lower league members to ensure quick and completed runs resulting in more prestige. It will also likely get me to run lower level in-league alts more instead of grinding the same old solos and duos every day.
  10. BumblingB I got better.

As great as making this out to be, doesn't this upkeep system benefit larger leagues more than smaller ones? It also just seems like another reason to NOT have alts. Especially if you have ones in opposing factions.

This is very "team" building, but extremely anti alt friendly. :/

I love everything about League Halls, but I just am getting tired of more and more reasons to not want to run my alts.
    • Like x 1
  11. Forced Penance New Player

can we put a mechanic in to "donate" MoT for league prestige?!?
  12. TrueOlympus New Player

The more alts you have the more yo contribute to your league via base items is what I thought
    • Like x 1
  13. The dark knight New Player

sounds nice, but not everyone can be helped at the same time. Also, there's a tension between playing this game and going to work or nutrition...so...at some time you gotta go offline and you can't always help everyone in the league. That's what I was getting at. There are tensions already on when to play this game and how to play it, and I think there will be more tension on the how with this mechanic.
    • Like x 1
  14. BumblingB I got better.

Which can be done the same one one character daily by running more content as opposed to dividing up between multiple. Plus, I have now no reason to want to play my villain now.
    • Like x 1
  15. BumblingB I got better.

Donations use a round about method from what I understand. You break down items that cost money to get X prestige and you break down items that cost marks and you get even more prestige.
    • Like x 1
  16. SpeedBow New Player

Not helping lower level members is going to hurt your league eventually. Helping them now is going to help you in the long run because those lower geared members will become higher geared members. Earning more prestige as they progress. It's the circle of life. Be a real league member and help them out.
    • Like x 3
  17. chipzes Committed Player

Your contribution via running content won't be affected by alts, just by invested time. However, keeping up mainframes/generators, donating items and decorating lairs will count for each individual character, which means earning potentially more Prestige by playing alts.
    You could just put up 500 lair items and log on your alts once a week to collect that Prestige and then go back to running content on your main though.
    Either way I don't see this discouraging playing alts at all (except for the cross-faction part, but maybe you can give access permissions to those too so they can contribute by donating).
  18. BumblingB I got better.

Making alts just to do the lair quota seems like a waste of time though. When just breaking down items for prestige could result in the same amount if you just simply ran more content on one character daily/weekly. I see what you are saying, but I don't see how this would make me want to do that.

When mainframes first came out, it was very alt unfriendly, as we all know that you have to upkeep it and the content at the time gave very little MoT return, plus alts need gear, etc. Now it's not a problem, but with Leagues, it is based on contribution of "time" to an extent it is almost 1:1 time to prestige (exaggeration here.) That as later tiers come out, I am not seeing a need for alts.

I just... been feeling that they don't look at alts when designing content. That's fine, because ultimately, there are probably more people that play one character vs players that play multiple.

As for the opposing faction, yeah, that would be nice, but they are in a league on that side. I don't see that happening. I also see that players that are in more than one league with alts will end up putting all their eggs in one basket.

They need to introduce friendly contribution to other leagues as well. To build up the community a bit. Where leagues can friendly play with each other. Especially smaller leagues, because once again, this method hurts the little guys because it would be easier to gain prestige with a big league.
    • Like x 2
  19. TheLoneLantern New Player

Please remember that there is a cap on the amount of Prestige you your league can earn each week.

So, you might not *have* to sacrifice as much time playing your alts as you think.
    • Like x 2
  20. chipzes Committed Player

From what I see you could basically just login once a week for lair item Prestige and once a month for generator/mainframe Prestige (considering how easy mainframe upkeep is right now).

You could divide your general playtime freely between your (in-league) alts generating a constant Prestige per time (assuming your gear to content tier ratio would be equal since Prestige is supposed to scale with that).
    So for alts in the same league as your main there wouldn't be any decrease in Prestige earned, at worst you would get roughly the same if you didn't get the lair bonus.

It's true though that this system penalizes your Prestige income for playing out-of-league and cross-faction alts, but I really don't see a solution to this (not sure if I see even a need for one) since those characters are by definition not in your main league and would earn Prestige for their own league. You would still earn the same amount of Prestige, just divided between leagues as your alts are.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.