GU38: Electricity Improvements

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by spord, Jun 3, 2014.

1. blklightning New Player

He didn't happen to say what was actually intended did he? hehehe
  2. Max Volt Committed Player

he said he identified the issue.

I'm pretty sure it's intended to work just like all the rest of the DoTs, no WM crits
    • Like x 2
  3. Derio 15000 Post Club

Its a bug. My guess is that they will up the damage on the DOTs by a very small amount to equal the options
  4. Remander Steadfast Player

That won't fix it, unfortunately.
  5. Shift New Player

Freaking WM... I love it for my support roles but hate it for dpsing :/
    • Like x 4
  6. Black Jaq Devoted Player

We should have gotten Sore to test since he knows Nature so well. Probably need a Nature player to contrast. Nature seems so much less complicated.
  7. blklightning New Player

I believe that nature has the same lack of forgiveness when it comes to DoTs and WM. Though, I know absolutely nothing about Nature and the one power that one of my bank alts has. :p
  8. Black Jaq Devoted Player

It's much more straightforward as the mechanic goes. Briar and Vine Lash are single target DoTs, put up Swarm and Carnage, then rotate Harvest which bursts on your target and spreads poisons, until you need Swarm and Carnage again. You don't have to worry if any PI is up. This is not much different than how Nature players worked before the revamps except maybe using the 60% modifier in Bloom to up their damage and they actually had to change targets to spread poisons. What they lost in the modifier they likely gained back in increased weapon damage. The bursts on Harvest are not huge.

The way it is now, they will work very similarly on 1-2 targets. I am more interested in knowing what happens with more than 2 targets. E-gen behaves a bit differently and now you have to make sure 3 or 4 targets are electrified in order to get full damage from Electrocute or Tesla Ball. Harvest does all the heavy lifting for Nature and Swarm needs no PI to get full damage.

IMO Nature will be stronger than Electric.
    • Like x 6
  9. BumblingB I got better.

I gotta agree with Black Jaq on the regards between Nature and Electric. The fact that Nature's dots are automatic to get full damage and Electric you need to have the PI setup, it does show a difference in effort. But, there are several more options with an Electric loadout, that achieves a greater potential and freedom of build. (Ignoring the Advanced DoT Mechanics, that is.)
    • Like x 3
  10. Remander Steadfast Player

Well, GU 38 launches next week, so it seems the revamp is done. Too bad.
    • Like x 2
  11. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

that is a real shame...it feels like alot of us put our feedback about the new mechanic for no real reason considering they did not change much about it.
    • Like x 1
  12. blklightning New Player

It's quite amazing how one tiny little change can ruin something that was so amazing and so anticipated. Yes... I'm talking to you, Electrocute.
    • Like x 4
  13. Remander Steadfast Player

I was thoroughly ticked about it, but in retrospect, that was actually a minor issue. If you could use EC with WM, it would make the gap even wider. What they really needed to do was add a burst damage component to the DoT stacking mechanic.
    • Like x 5
  14. The dark knight New Player

Mepps wrote in the update notes:
    wait...so...does this mean dots can be overwritten by other DPSes?

Please say I'm wrong...because that would mean:
    • A nature DPS can never play with an Electric DPS, because their dots would overwrite each other. But not only that...
    • There can never be two electric DPSes playing together, for the same reason.
    • If there's an Electric or Nature DPS in the raid, as dot stacking is their unique power mechanic, all other DPSes would have to pass on their dots, p.e. fire DPSes couldn't use inferno or any other power that makes targets burn?
  15. Remander Steadfast Player

Actually, yes. This isn't new, though. Overwriting has long been a problem in this game.
  16. blklightning New Player

It means that if there are two electric players in an instance, 1 healer and the other DPS, and both are using Voltaic Bolt that the healer's cast will not overwrite the DPS's DoT. This is a good thing for DPS.

DPS across powersets don't overwrite. But, the moment you get 2 DPS of the same power using the same DoT.... there are overwrites.
    • Like x 2
  17. The dark knight New Player

Thanks for the replies guys
    ah...ok...that explains why I never noticed...I'm a fire DPS...how often have you seen 2 Fire DPSes in one group? :D
    I know that overwrites have been an issue for Rage & Celest, but I thought it was only them...of course I got aware of that issue because both powers were FOTM powers.
    ...but I also revisited my electric char over the last weeks and brought them to t6...and I ran across so many other elec chars during that time...I think I never saw so many in my entire time on this game before. So I'm pretty sure I will have a big problem :( If at all, there's one slot for a healer in a group, and with that many elec DPSes I have seen over the last weeks, there will probably always be a 2nd one in a group...:(
    But...I mean...this overwrite mechanic hits elec & nature DPSes way harder than any other powersets, as DOT-stacking is their unique power-mechanic.
  18. Remander Steadfast Player

This is probably true. Pets don't overwrite. Some of the precision combo DoTs overwrite. Not sure how the two new mechanics will work with overwrites.
  19. Derio 15000 Post Club

Sigh....I am terribly sad now. Where is a W.I.P thread for celestial when I need it. GU38 drops next week and I feel like nature is still better than electricity in both aspects.

Burst powers and WM it is then. Now we wait for league halls.
    • Like x 2
  20. BumblingB I got better.

Okay, played around again finally tonight with Electricity. I will be honest, I have not had a chance to try the new DoT Advanced Mechanic. So I will talk about that first.

Please open it up to "OR" for each of the power mechanic powers in the list.You have no idea how annoying it is that you HAVE TO start with Electroburst. The fact I have to lunge is the most annoying part. I get it, you started with that one, because you can quickly get out of the way afterwards, but you guys have made content that is bad for melee in almost all forms when at level. (In the case of Dox, above the level.) I would actually rather just not use that power and skip it or if I decide to, do it last before I VB it. In any case, please consider OR between the 5 powers.

Okay, now to what I was messing around with. Above, we had players comparing the two powersets Nature and Electricity. Which is a pretty good comparison, especially after they way they made the Power Mechanic (PM) for it.

I actually think that Electric, as it is right now, is on par with or maybe greater than nature in terms of damage. Before anyone says anything, here's why. And keep in mind, efficiency is not what I'm talking about. This is probably what the devs are talking about in that regards.

Electroburst is pretty much Savage Growth. Both are melee DoT activators. The difference starts at the next powers. Electrogenisis is an AoE DoT. Voltaic Bolt (Which is the 3rd DoT) is an AoE DoT. While Vine Lash and Briar are not. I think the refreshing mechanic is better, since it is a massive AoE from player, while Harvest spreads the DoTs from the target outwards.

If you just compare what I have stated there, you do more overall damage than Nature, only because the setup is quicker with the DoTs on the targets.

Then, Electrocute vs Swarm. I think damage wise, Swarm does more damage, but it's a Pet and can die, while Electrocute is just a power DoT.

So in the end though, I think Nature is very efficient in damage and DoT spreading, but I think Electric will do more based on each powersets PM in a 1:1 comparison. Now when you get into differences of players, that makes a huge difference.

In any event, I think the PM of Electric is really good compared to Nature in that regards.

What I am not saying is that it is ZOMG BEAST. It's better than Rage! But it's not in a subpar category and to be honest, the devs want to make a distinction between a DoT PM and a Burst PM.
    • Like x 1