DLC8: Celestial Powers Feedback

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by spord, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperiorMouse New Player

I wanted to comeback and update my feedback a bit... before it's too late. although it probably is since this goes live this week.

after digging deeper, from a functional perspective i think this powerset is very serviceable... but i feel like it's been over thought. what i mean is simply... you don't need the combo'd powers. ie. there are enough heals on both sides of the tree which don't require you to combo. same with DPS. that's my criticism really.

if i don't need to combo to heal effectively -- what's the point of having that functionality?
    if i DO need to combo to heal effectively -- it's not practical.

same with DPS... DPS players should be killing stuff, not healing. most of them will not want to sacrifice their #s to heal. so, if you don't need the combo'd functionality to remain viable, it simply becomes an unused novelty. the community has adopted such a min/max mentality, only approved loadouts and builds are used. a lot of people feel a healer should just stay in the background and heal and not even use their weapon. and this attitude is supported by the combat mechanics of the game so i can't see this sentiment changing anytime soon...

and coming back to the visuals on the Cursed tree... i still feel they're lacking. the 3d element is good, it's the texture work that lacks cohesion and consistency. and they're pretty uninspired. based on the celestial theme i would have expected the vfx to be more inspired by "the Prescence", Lords of Order and Lords of Chaos. the skull motif is so cliched that i roll my eyes everytime i see it onscreen. you guys could have done something similar but more impressive -- especially after seeing how beautiful some of the Blessed visuals.

these would have been nice inspiration images. taken from DCComics lore to inspire the visuals here... ignore the (pulsing though)

lords of chaos
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. BumblingB I got better.

Isn't that... Haunter...?

I think this powerset is interesting and I bet when it hits live, we will see some interesting perspectives taken on it, like all powersets were.
  3. Roomba Dedicated Player

4. Roomba Dedicated Player

I wish Blessed/Death Mark were switched with Renew/Curse. I keep finding myself wishing I had just ooone more power point lol. I love having regular blessed for raids, and corrupted blessing for solos/duos/lower tier alerts. But I'm really digging the new corrupted DL and I don't think I can live without CS (even though it seems the only difference between this and the admonish combo is that one has a pull in and one doesn't, and one is 35% vs 45%... otherwise dmg appears to be similar).

In short I've been spoiled by HL and am used to not having to respec often lol.
  5. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

I noticed Divine Light and Corrupted Divine Light don't stack. I assume that means 2 Divine Lights from diff players won't stack.

I just want to say first good job making Divine Light the power it should be. It now feels like something I could see using.

I don't think they need to have stacking issues though. You can't stack them yourself except going might and prec which honestly isn't overpowered because you're using power for 2 final tier powers. And, moreso if this were allowed to stack you woudln't ahve issues with other players.

Now I understand not wanting people to be able to layer DoTs so making it not stack makes sense. But when you can't stack it yourself does it really need to overwrite? Just a thought.
  6. Roomba Dedicated Player

Yeah, I'm a fan of the corrupted DL damage. It's definitely good to start out with, but how are people finding its effects on overall DPS when casting it in the middle of a fight? It hits harder, ticks harder, and ticks longer than CS>WotP and Admonish>Blight it seems, but does the cast time kill it for use in raids or other longer fights?

Basically, if it's still an overall DPS gain, I may phase out CS/WotP out of my build completely. Well, we'll see if I still end up using anoint.
  7. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

It's power is going to be AE. I dont' forsee using it much personally, as I'll set up more for boss killing, but the potential for AE is pretty great due to the non split damage

From what I can figure, it'll do the initial damage to anything that gets close enough to one of the spots, it will only do this once so you can't get multiple hits of it from diff glyphs. After that though if they move away from one glyph but then get close enough to another they will start taking the DoT again. So basically it's 4 DoT fields with an initial tick of damage for anything that touches one.

Good potential in massive AE situations, but not going to be aimed at the situations in t5 IMO. The range on the Glyphs DoT is small and there's a lot of movement in t5. Could that potentially be increased? Not even necessarily the initial tick trigger although that is quite small as well.

I could see this killing in kingsdome at that one AE part. I could see it being pretty awesome in gates hallways. I could see it's potential if you pull the whole hallways in Nexus. But outside of situations where it's hitting at least 6+ and ticking DoTs on them I'd rather just stick with the other options.
  8. Elusian Crowd Control

It requires 2 things to be useful and that means the target needs to be static, if it moves out of the glyph, it does not get any dmg from it anymore, its not like a doT that gets attached to the target and keeps it, which I would like to see change in the same way as Fire and Ice their AoE fields have gotten, if the enemy passes the glyph/field, it gets that perma DoT but I think it has to be related with the problem of the initial tick, cause if a target passes after the initial tick hits, it only gets the normal ticks so the initial ticks are bound to the targets that get the glyphs under their feets created.

Second, useless in single target or two target situations. It's a 3 second cast and if I dont get 3+ target for sure hitted with it, I loose dmg compared to a simple Retribution-DJC spam. You really want to be sure that you hit the targets. It makes it very situational and I'm still on the brink to kick it out again.
    • Like x 1
  9. Elusian Crowd Control

Maledictions Might DoT and Cleansed Maledictions Prec DoT are also overwriting. I hope to get it fixed so we can use both at same time since its 2 different types of DoTs.
    • Like x 1
  10. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Totally. If we take the time for both both shoudl hit. The stacking of 2 might can't be an issue due to 13s refresh and 12s duration. Stacking 2 prec is 12s duration vs 24s reuse. So you can't just spam DoTs.
  11. Roomba Dedicated Player

Whassat?
  12. Kristyana New Player

I believe they were going to keep it that way with all DoT powers that could do both might and precision damage to keep from stacking a ridiculous number of DoTs on a single target
  13. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

What would we stack that would be out of the realm of reason and could actually be stacked?

Sure you could do Malediction/benediction-cMalediction, getting 2 decent DoTs but it'd also take 2s the dps isn't something out of reason for the time esp when it takes 14s to get all that damage.

What Else would you stack?

WotP prec damages and Blight prec damages can't stack as you could stack them if you chained it so those wouldn't fall under the same catagory. If you can't overlap the same effect yourself I don't think it should be something that has the inability to stack.

if I were able to do Malediction twice before the DoT ran it's course I'd totally understand it not being able to stack, but in no scenario prec or might version can you stack it yourself other than doing one and the other, which IMO you should be able to do, you're spending the time to do both and the power.
  14. Kristyana New Player

Well even if you personally can't pull off the combos to stack besides a few like both versions of Blight and Malediction, and if you consider Curse a DoT or not along with Cursed Retrobution dotting everything around your target instead of your target itself, there's also having other celestial users in the group to consider.

Maybe I don't see the DoT from Malediction not stacking with itself as a big deal because I play fire, and our DoTs overwrite each other constantly and don't stack if they're the same type of "burning" DoT.

Even if you can't stack yourself, if the precision and might versions didn't overwrite each other two celestial users would be able to stack close to a dozen DoTs together, something no other powerset can come close to doing. Most powers can stack a few DoTs (fire has the most at 5 if you count spontaneous combustion as a DoT) but they all overwrite each other if there's another one in the group.

You wouldn't have the same drawbacks that other powersets suffer from having more than one in the same raid or group, and that alone would put Celestial far above the other powers. Remember, Celestial is unique in that it's the only powerset that doesn't benefit from power interactions nor set any up for the group to benefit from.

That seems like a fun experiment actually. Wanna give it a go on test? Been meaning to see what combos or not.
  15. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

HL doesn't have any PI aye? Nor do they suffer that much with another in the raid (granted some but not much). There is already a large imbalance in how power sets are effected with another in the group. 2 Nature DPS is going to be terrible compared to 2 HL dps

And, /shrug I don't see why celestial should be hindered by a system limitation they just recently stated they would like to get rid of.

I understand why they don't want players to layer the same dot over and over. But, I just don't see how it'd be an issue if CelstialA cast malediction and CelestialB cast Malediction... how is that different than CelestialB being a Mental and casting Pyrokenisis. I understand (don't necessarily agree with) the limitation on the AOE Fields. They don't want a superfield laid down in pvp that is 2-3 of the same one stacked on top of each other so visually basically the same as 1 but doing 3X the damage. I can see the reasoning in that. But, we're talking strait application in Malediction terms. Again, no different than a Mental and a Celestial Dotting you.

I do want to check to see if 2 diff players have issues with Divine Light stacking. With how the Glyphs Act I could see it going either way.

It's not so much as I think celestial will be hurting if this doesn't happen (it won't) but simply I don't see why it shouldn't. I don't see what harm having Malediction be stackable would cause. If Pyrokenisis had a 14s reuse I'd say the same thing about it. It seems unfair to limit DoT damage but burst damage never has stacking issues. DoTs are already at a loss as it takes them a while just to get to the same DPS as burst powersets.

And I wouldn't count Curse as a DoT that's a debuff with a damaging componant. I do think it'd be unfair to have 2-3 celestials in a pvp match all hit you with curse, you tap them and arg dead lol. cursed Retribution is another weird one and I'd think it'd fall under the same catagory as fields. If you can only see one graphic it should only have 1 effect, seems fair.

In the end it's not the end of the world, but simply a limitation that doesn't seem like it needs to be there.
    • Like x 1
  16. Elusian Crowd Control

Someone else finds it odd that the Prec-DoT is higher than the Might-DoT from Malediction? Whats the point in using the combo'ed version here?
  17. Kristyana New Player

It may be something that they'd tweak in the future, but it looks like from the latest testing they upped the damage on some of the powers quite a bit (Divine Light is actually fairly good now as it applies a DoT)

I thought Hard Light had a few powers that could set up Burning PI for the team, or was that only the supercharge? I admit I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to that powerset.
  18. Kristyana New Player

If the precision DoT hits harder, wouldn't you want to use the combo'd version?

EDIT: NM, haven't had coffee yet
  19. Yallander Loyal Player

Malediction>Benediction does better healing, IMO that is the better "healer" setup while Benediction>Malediction does more damage and gives the crit bonus.
  20. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

I'm confused as well, maybe i'm reading it wrong?

I thought the Might version was better, i'll have to check again.

Strafing Run might?? not sure, but pretty sure none of the base powers apply burning... but even if so, who can't apply burning?:p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.