Devs honestly what is your vision for pvp?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Schnoz, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowCyborg92 Loyal Player

Will do.
  2. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

I would imagine that many a new player has stepped into PvP for the first time, blocked, let go of block and got two taps into a combo, only to be blockbroken. The long counter windows really should be tightened up. They were intorduced as a way to help players with sub-par connections if I remember correctly, but all they've done is create confusion amongst people trying PvP for the first time, and caused frustration for players too.
    And this is coming from a UK based player on the US server, the long windows are not needed.

The immunities are another source of confusion for new players... Being knocked on your butt is enough of a counter-punishment without granting your opponent immunity every time too.
    These two things have basically turned PvP into - tap-tap-blockbreak-press buttons for max damage while opponent is helpless. I know there are a group of players, the same 22 (guessed number) who participate in the FNL tourneys every-single-time, who love this system as they have learned how to game it to maximum effect, but for many others, and new players especially it's very frustrating.

And as a side effect, PvP-centric FNL episodes are very very boring to watch.

I can think of other things, but I'm sure I have an incoming flame-wave for what I've just typed.

Cheers!
  3. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

We play both 1s/2s legends as well as 2s/4s/5s arenas, we don't have a particular preference. When the new season started we were running multiple scrims every night, as well as scrimming on the test server before release. None of us asked for Advanced mechanics in PvP, we all wanted WM damage adjustments, we were the only ones to realise how overpowered HL was back before they even added advanced mechanics, we realised how OP nature healers were as soon as advanced mechanics were added to them and the PS meta still hasn't caught up to this yet as well as countless other things.

The problems that are currently in PvP have nothing to do with listening to "us", if anything it is to do with not listening to us.

0.35 seconds is not a long time, but it could be shortened if the 350ms input for hold range block breaks were changed. This would however effect the rest of the game.
    • Like x 10
  4. Nekron 99 Loyal Player

For me there needs to be some new map types. I like the team death match, but a free for all death match would also be fun to see happen. Multiple teams in a death match (i.e. 3 teams of 5) would be nice to see also.

The map that has been gone forever would be nice to see it return. I think that alone would get a quick reaction in the positive direction.

Also the mechanics going away from rock/paper/scissors plus everyone having a standardized set of gear really turned me off and made me and pretty much my whole league stop running Arenas. There became no reason for me to want to run as a Tank in PvP anymore. It would be great to see at least a change that promotes more benefits to counter roles, i.e. rock/paper/scissors.

Another big reason a lot of people I know stopped PvP was due to WM and AM and less focus from the Dev team on the clipping game play style. If WM allows players to one-shot people then that will obviously turn people off.
    • Like x 6
  5. Deamonox Well-Known Player

I would love this back to because it was more of a reason to be a role but b4 that they need to change the strength of tanks and trolls. Just bring tanks back 2 the way they were
    • Like x 2
  6. 12AngelOfLife21 Loyal Player

I just want the whole paper, rock, scissors element back. Role specific sets again would be good too. All the other changes made in this last pvp season could stay for all i care at this point. Just want role based strategy to be a significant element again. Tanks, trolls, and healers all just need their importance back in pvp.
  7. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

Measurements in milliseconds don't mean a thing to the new player who just got blockbroken in the middle of his combo.
    • Like x 1
  8. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

It tends to be a bad thing to design your game's core mechanics around the lowest common denominator as it leaves very little room to learn or improve, which is what competitive games such as this one tend to want.
    • Like x 2
  9. Deamonox Well-Known Player

We need a tank buff that gives us back our buffs because I enjoyed my fire tank buff much more than my op healing. We also need a troll buff in their debuffs so they are more powerful. You guys need to split pve and PVP because nerfing one side ruins it on the other side. We also need a new form of PVP arenas/PVP. Maybe you can have league battles where every league member can imprint their style and loadout into the league and then you can q up and other league members can play as you and test your power out. We also need new maps and a fix to the countering but I think that's it.
  10. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

Lowest common denominator? Well done on insulting of a large section of the playerbase.

If many players are instantly put off by what they percieve as a broken system, how do you expect them to "improve"?

Explain what you mean by "competitive".

Cheers!
  11. Nemisor Committed Player

I'd like to see an incentive to be in the PVP phase, maybe get MoV for killing enemy's, random pvp open world events.

more things to spend MoV on, styles maybe?

and now that soder cola extremes are standardised remove the pvp cola and allow consumables back in pvp.
  12. Ghostof91 New Player

How about giving lairs back the reward every 2v2 has, its less players doing lairs because of that nerf, if that wont happen then whats the purpose of that rotation?

Secondly can we do something about the open world, its s ghost town at most, players are leaving because theres no activies besides the seasons.

Last but least, can you guys exclude wm and am from pvp arenas.
    • Like x 3
  13. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Don't forget that you're a UK player playing on the US servers, what you're experiencing is also exaggerated due to latency problems. Try playing counter strike or street fighter overseas and experience what true lag feels like.
    • Like x 1
  14. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Players often confuse windows and lag/latency for counters being broken when in fact in almost every time someone has complained about counters it's been a case of case windows or lag/latency effecting their play. Designing a system around those people who haven't actually learned the difference between the two will lead to all sorts of problems and I'm certain you're smart enough to be able to see that. That's also not to say that part of this isn't on the developers either. They do nothing to explain this in game.

In my original response to Mepps I suggested giving us an instance we can queue into and just practice counters. Much like the section on the Brainiac ship. However a bit more in depth and actually having something to explain how and what windows are/do.

As per competitive, the developers have on numerous occasion expressed their desire both through words and action to make PvP in this game more competitive and skill based as opposed to simply being gear/luck based.
    • Like x 4
  15. Scar-Red Nova Dedicated Player

Speaking as someone who doesn't PvP (so, I have general understanding but not finely detailed understanding):

Matchmaking: I understand that the PVP population is low, but there's little to no matchmaking so you fairly regularly get hardcore PVPers vs complete novices. This is a 2 way street, Veteran PvPers don't want easy wins, and novices don't want to waste time on impossible tasks. In season 3 you guys tried to remedy this by reducing the stat disparity between gear but the actual result was twofold:
    1. Veterans were upset that the gear they worked hard to earn lost it's effectiveness and they could be beat by people who "put no effort" into PVP.
    2. Non-PVPers (like me) still didn't care
    Roles: As a Tank, there's nothing for me to do really. Unlike in PvE I can't force my enemies to attack me or even control the pace of the battle or control enemies. I can easily be killed by sheer damage. I have no idea if the solution here is to buff roles or remove them or whatever.

Counters/Latency: A lot of times I'll get countered on some move that I already did a while ago, or ranged attacks just won't register as BBs. I think this one's well known. Very frustrating when you try to get into PVP and feel you got BSed even when you saw something coming.

The obvious one is there is no incentive for the rest of us to PVP outside of the walled feats, but that's really hard to remedy. If you made a DLC that, perhaps came with a PVP map based on one of the new areas introduced or something and didn't MAKE players play it as part of progression (lookin' at Elite type things here, no matter what you say PVE rewards are progression) you might find some a larger audience. I could easily see some maps like the Metro Battlezone portion of Love and War for example being a good place to stomp around for a bit.
    • Like x 3
  16. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

In PvP a tank's main role is actually to provide cleanses to enhance the survivability of their team. Those are in need of buffs. Tank survivability really needs to be looked at on a case by case basis as each tank functions very differently in that regard. They definitely shouldn't be back to the way they were because they could completely subvert the counter system, but could be brought up a bit more from where they're at now.

In particular the amount of health they get from dominance needs to be looked at as right now I believe you're only getting somewhere around 2k extra health, which is what, one or two weapon combos if you're lucky?

Though the gear buff for people does need to stay. Even though you didn't care about it, if you didn't have PvP gear it would have really been the only thing allowing you to not get slaughtered, and more than likely would have made you say "screw this" as quite a few others have done.
    • Like x 3
  17. Furling Well-Known Player

For me to PvP, and a lot of the people i know to PvP, we need a reason to do it. I did it quite a bit until I got most of the feats... especially when you could 1v1 lair battles and get good rewards. Getting the feats is what most people (that I know) do it for. But, the feats I have left are not worth the squeeze anymore. I'm not sure what would encourage me to PvP more.

I'm a violinist, used to practicing, perfecting the same piece of music over and over again, and then performing it. Hopefully, I get to perform it several times, but usually, it's just once. I realized recently, this is exactly why I like PvE. The combat in this game is like playing an instrument when done well. And, for me, it's fun to practice it, get better at it, get better gear to make it easier, get better with a team together, and then... 3 months later, there's new music to play. Plus, every time I have different people in the team, there's someone new to react too, cover for, be in awe of their ability. It's really fun!

Now I know for other people, that's why they hate PvE, because it is the same thing over and over again, and you like to compete with unpredictable real live humans... but for me, well, that's why I don't like it.

I'm ok at PvP, but, I usually either curbstomp the other guy, or they curbstomp me. It's just not that fun. And there's no real rewards/progression, storyline... anything other than feats, and being better than the other guy.

One exception to this is Scrimmages. I've had a blast a few times with my family (we all play) just going into something and killing each other. I love the stat clamping/leveling for this... it doesn't matter my kid has a cr 30 toon, if he gangs up on me with a few of his siblings, they can still knock me out. But... there's no reward/progression in there, and there's plenty of PvE content to work on, so, not really worth it very often.

So, guess I'll turn it back to you guys... why should I PvP?
  18. Mandarin New Player

Something I've always fantasized about is a boss fight scenario where it's one player verses multiple other players and the solo player is buffed accordingly. Make it lightly scripted. Perhaps a new variant of Legends.

...Just turn me into Trigon from Survival Mode and unleash me in openworld PvP. That's all I ask.
    • Like x 2
  19. TheWhiteFace New Player

Balance in both Arenas and Legends- that's what the PvP people want to see. Legends is closer to balance and has all the time in the world to be balanced. Arenas is more high-priority in my opinion. We need Tanks to be useful. I have an idea for the PvP design team(s) that may make Tanks useful again. I have not received a lot of input on this idea despite the fact that I have posted it on the Arenas PvP Guide discussion thread. The thread can be found in my signature or in the Ultimate PvP Index.

Completely separate PvE and Open World from PvP. The Arenas gear needs to be for cash and not in tiers; this goes for mods (expect perhaps mixed mods). In regards to the mods you should prohibit PvP prefab mods on PvE gear (assuming that you take away tired gear/mods and make them purchasable with cash). Styles should still require Marks of Valor. People want to compete not grind for gear/mods. "Competitive's" root-word is compete not grind.

Powers need to have their own PvP variant. We cannot allow the powers to be linked to PvE. Powers should be like extended Legends characters. Extended meaning more powers, balanced loud outs, and capabilities. With this separation we can completely sever the link between PvE, Open World, and Arenas for good. That's what we need- isolation from those modes in order to solve problems entirely/only relevant to Arenas. We shouldn't have to deal with AM's, make compromises, power's DPS capability balance, or whatever is interfering with Arena's balance.

With this you could even allow PvP powers to be buyable (using station cash or Marks of Valor if you are a member) to applicable to a character/armory at any time with an unlimited amount of uses/quantity. I'm not saying that we should make only a few powers or some powers for PvP; I'm saying that all powers should have a PvP and PvE variant regardless if they are coming or already released.

For new-comers and those not interested in PvP (yet) we need a training room for both Legends and Arenas. Make PvP as competitive and balanced as possible and give people who are willing to learn and train the tools to do just that.

If you support these ideas please like this post and discuss it with your friends. ;)
    • Like x 1
  20. Leveilleur Well-Known Player

I'm really against wm and am in pvp especially since with wm all people do is either sit in the back or fly high in the air just spamming wm blockbreak and getting kills as if it was pve ,those people are being rewarded for doing something that takes no skill.

Im also for the separation of pvp from pve I even mentioned in some threads awhile back by making abilities that are pve only and some that are pvp only so it can be easier to balance.

I know i may have asked a huge task for yall to do especially since there needs to be a significant amount of abilities for pvp and pve so no one would have the same loadout.

Also like other people said add more maps, modes, bring back role gear and make roles useful again. Believe it or not people who quit due to pvp changing alot were subbed just for pvp (alot are still subbed just for pvp).

Alot of us including myself have abandoned pvp because of the changes I dislike how pvp is but I like the game so I pve on my main character and just pvp on my vill for the gear but will pve on it once I get the gear.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.