Work In Progress DCUO Development Update - July 2021 - Membership & Access Level Discussion

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Jul 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

THIS is a good idea Mepps.. I totally understand what you are trying to achieve. This makes older content relevant again. This is the right direction into encouraging longer play times as well as other grindable stuff to do outside of end game content.. I think this will work..

My only thing is that you guys UPDATE THE PAYOUT for these... Some of those older RAIDS are REALLY CHEAP.. Lets encourage older content.. DONT BE CHEAP on source MARKS!
    • Like x 1
  2. Royal Knight Kiryu Well-Known Player

I pre-date Combat Rating. The main character that I have been on for the majority of my time here started out on the birthright server and I came into this game a week before the PlayStation network hack of 2011 back when it was on PlayStation three and you could only play if you had a desk and a membership. I have endured every change and game update that is been put out. I’ve watched the developers play “flavor of the month“ with every power and have even watched them Nerf nature and electric DPS into the ground where they left it that way unplayable for years. I’ve been here so long that I can remember when you could call the 800 number and get an issue in the game fixed within an hour. All’s you have to do is log out of your account and let them go to work. I can remember when this game still had game masters that you could go straight to if there was a bug. Trust me when I say this I was here when stats actually mattered. When it wasn’t pay to win with leveling up artifacts and the powers weren’t so unbalanced. I competed in the eight man survival modes for trigon, fortress, and oa. I’ve done back to back titans survival as well. I’ve touched every power in this game and used about 90% of the artifacts. When I address the issues that have been systemic for what seems like centuries i’m not just pissing on your leg and calling it rain. And I sure as hell don’t address the developers within unwarranted gripe.
    • Like x 1
  3. Royal Knight Kiryu Well-Known Player

So instead you’d rather water down the value of what people have earned because those who won’t get off their backside and earn it feel entitled to be placed in the same category?
    Tell me if you applied that same logic to finances do you think it would fly in any job?

Hey you didn’t put in the work to get all the certifications as that guy, but you believe that you should make as much as the person who has put in all that work because of what?

Honestly taking the time to build your skill points up or as they call it now stat points isn’t all that difficult. For God sake‘s it’s been broken down Barney style. It’s more than a safe statement to claim that you can get to your first 200 skill points within 90 days by yourself as a new player. You only need a little direction and to put the work in.
    • Like x 1
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Huh? Where did I say that? Prime thinks SP should matter more than gear, it's not necessary when you can see a difference in performance between a character with 400 SP and a character with less than 300 SP.

Buffing SP would just become more of a glorified measuring contest.
    • Like x 5
  5. Major Shenanigans Well-Known Player

I understand where you are coming from. I started on a pvp server. I forget name of it but it was definitely on a pvp server sometime between sept & nov 2011.
    You should know just as well as I do that no amount of belly achin rarely if ever gets anything done after it has already been mentioned. By that time its already a done deal.

The only time that I can recall where the devs even acted like they listened to the player base and not just a couple was during the stats revamp. And, that turned out to be sh$$show by the end.

You shoultd know as well as I do that the devs really only take any consideration about tweaking the game during testing from a select few and rarely if ever from an outsider that might actually have a good idea or find something wrong. That is unless you/they are willing to take a few banhammers and even then it usually falls on deaf ears.

Now, don't take this like I'm telling you to raise Kane and get a few banhammers because I'm not. I'm telling you that you and anyone else that have been screaming bloody murder about he upcoming changes are pissin uphill, in the wind, while standing there barefooted.

And,
    You might as well change your screen name to Custer because you're fighting a losing battle.

All I can say is wait until test.
    Toss in your two cents there
    &
    Hope that what ever your concerns are then
    do not fall on deaf ears.

At least then you will have testing to back up your concerns not hearsay and wild imagination.

Take care
    I'll be in game after the updates hit test and no sooner.
  6. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

Again, the reward for completing feats which is THE challenge of the game and require skill and teamwork should be greater than that of getting gear which you will get just by playing the game. You can get gear just by standing at the door while everyone else beats the content.
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You can get feats the same way too. Terrible example.
    • Like x 6
  8. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Just a heads up TedBot; the theory of the "lizard brain" has been debunked (it was a more 90s theory iirc) so any premise, arrived at or assumed from it, is inherently flawed or otherwise is invalid. Don't take my word for it though, this can be Googled. I was called out on this a couple years ago myself (it was one of my favourite nerd-isms to reference) so don't get caught offguard.

It's impossible to really comment on what's announced without seeing how it plays at least on test, so I haven't waded into this discussion until I can test, but I do want to address this point you made here because it's at the heart of the point some of us were making in the membership perks thread.

There's no argument at all that the "dollar value" of what is being offered makes excellent financial sense. It does. However, I can save even more money by not playing the game at all. People do not find discounts "compelling" they're more of a bare minimum (especially in a digital space where all the goods have arbitrarily set values with no real world value).

It is definitely worth it to have a membership if that's something I'm (or whoever is) actually interested in, that value itself is not a "compelling" reason to sub though. No one looks at a game and says "that's a really good discount so I'm gonna play it!" It has to have itself sorted out and that attracts people to the game who would then find the value is really good and sub. So, this isn't going to silence dissent from players who want and expect actual content from the game to keep their interest in playing. This won't end requests for new features like powersets and graphic updates and so on. I think you've locked down the people who've been playing for years and have already invested time, money and energy into the game who might have been on the fence because of the cost of playing (slowing some attrition). But I don't believe this will do anything to impress players who are dissatisfied with the content the game is offering and are considering moving on, or who have already left but could be convinced to come back with content proper.

Like I said in other related posts, I think this is definitely the right direction for the game in terms of progression etc, so I don't want to underscore this win for players. I just want to push back against the possible idea that this is going to solve all.the.things. incase anyone is thinking this. It's not going to.

Using renovation/interior decor as a metaphor; I see this as fixing some serious damage to the floors (that opened up overtime), in a renovation and then the game has finish with patching the walls, repainting and redecorating. People still won't want to stick around unless the whole space is lovely -- just fixing the floors won't cut it and keep people around.
  9. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

Maybe bad example, but people know what I mean. No challenge to get gear, but feats are the real only challenge... so something that you put more effort and skill into should be more greatly rewarded than just grinding a 1 room raid like the Flash to the Future raid over and over again.
  10. Major Shenanigans Well-Known Player

To be fair as possible. And, I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just being honest.
    If players are as good as they think they are. Then their precious SP wouldnt be a big deal.
    If your good. You should be good with or without SP.

Take for example the Tekken games.
    Do you build up SP for those games? NOPE
    The good players are good because they know how to play the game.

The last time I looked SP didn't CURE stupid, block or roll out of BIG BOSSMANS FIRE OF DEATH AOE.

How about instead of worrying about SP as much and start worrying about learning how DCUO the game and mechanics work.
  11. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

How about before assuming I can't play or don't know mechanics you look at my toon. I just don't like a whole aspect of the game that started off meaning so much, now mean very little and almost not even worth doing. Which is why most people when new episodes come out, they just work on getting the gear then disappear until next episode. BTW, people learn how the game and mechanics work by... GUESS WHAT... DOING FEATS!!!!! If you don't worry about SP, your not worrying about doing the feats, which means you don't learn mechanics. That leads to idiot players or doorsitters who cheese their way to top gear and can't survive a teir 1 raid. (seen it)
  12. Metallix Active Player

I'll think y'all should change source mark and change it to DC marks to represent the game and the title it's self
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They're called Source Marks because they represent a story element from the DC Universe.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/The_Source
    • Like x 1
  14. gemii Dedicated Player

Hey not sure if this has been answered but I just wanted to know will this update give premium players access to extra inventory space or will it still be limited and we’d have to still buy the inventory slots?
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I think they said everyone is getting +7 inventory slots, members are getting 7+7.
    • Like x 2
  16. king of games New Player

question: is everyone going to have access to all powers when creating characters or will thw powers like munitions, water, light, etc. still need to be purchased with DB cash?
  17. Proxystar #Perception

• Full access to all Powers, Shield (Weapon), and Skimming (Movement Mode)
    That is still listed as a membership perk, so you will need to either be a member or pay for the power.
  18. Miserable Dedicated Player

If I may ask, why do you feel it's important that "features" be so coupled with membership, as opposed to just being features of the game agnostic of access level?
    • Like x 2
  19. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Probably because they need to give something extra to persuade people to pay their wages. If everything was available to all access levels, nobody would pay anything.
  20. GoldenDodge Dedicated Player

Sending you a dm reply.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.