DC / Marvel Universe Online

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by LucidityKJ, Oct 3, 2014.

1. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

Okay, so, there's been speculation / rumors (whatever you want to call them) about Disney also purchasing DC Comics. If this is true, that basically means that the creative rights to almost the entirety of both DC and Marvel would be found under one roof (Disney, unfortunately, but still).

That being said, IF that happens, what do you guys think are the odds of this game incorporating both universes into the game? How do you feel about the idea of a Batman-mentored hero fighting against a Magneto-inspired villain? Working alongside Mystique to take down Nightwing? Could we see this in DCUO?

Because let's face it... Marvel Heroes was just extremely disappointing compared to this game hahahaha
    • Like x 4
  2. dngnb8 Devoted Player

First off, I have no issue with Disney. This organization has a history of spending to make things right. They can afford to big budget projects because when they have a hit, they make Billions. They are on the forefront of upgrading technology and sinking research into making better tools to build better stories (animated or not)

Cross over hero stories are always popular (Avengers - Justice League). I think the introduction of these arch types is not a bad thing.
  3. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

I was hoping to touch more on the ideas and possibility of merging the Marvel Universe into DCUO than on the negatives and positives of Disney. Perhaps I should have left the Disney-bashing out of my original post.

Regardless, with the success that crossovers have for the most part, would you enjoy this game more with Marvel characters included? Less? Indifferent? Why?
  4. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

If this ever happened the population boom would be to much for the servers to handle...

Some folks won't even give this game a look because they are such Marvel fans!

This would be huge!

IA ARMY
    • Like x 2
  5. Juxes Committed Player

I demand a Galactus / Silver Surfer DLC
    • Like x 3
  6. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

Perhaps you're right, but look at games such as World of Warcraft. Their population is (or at least was) gigantic, and they simply added more servers. With the additional income found by the merger, I'm sure SoE/Disney/whatever would easily be able to account for it. Really it would only be overcrowded for a month or so while they tested everything out to see just how many servers they would need.
  7. Alex Denton Dedicated Player

That would be awesome. After all, Brainiac wants to have access to the multiverse, maybe he creates a breach, maybe heroes from two universes have to unite against this common threat.
    Still, I don't think that's gonna happen in DCUO (they would have to change the name first ^^).

I was pretty exited when I first heard about Marvel Heroes, but you are right, I was extremely desapointed when I learned more about it. A video game that only lets you play the iconic characters should be a solo game, with a multiplayer option (like Borderlands or Fable 3). I don't want to play a game and meet 50 captain americas, 30 hulks and so on.Marvel could have done something interesting, different from DC : allowing the player to make his/her own hero and recreate the iconic places found in the Marvel universe, but not in state of eternal emergency. You could fly through New York and do normal superhero stuff. And then some events happen regularly (alien invasion or whatev) and that open up instances and stuff. I would play this game and DCUO, because one wouldn't be a copy of the other.

But that's enough rambling. I like your idea. Who do you think would be mentor in the Marvel Universe? I would choose :

Heroes :
    Iron Man : Tech (although casting the hulk here would be hilarious XD )
    Amanda Sefton : Magic
    Thor or Rachel Grey-Summers (MarvelGirl): Meta

Vilains :
    Doctor Doom : Tech
    Morgane Le Fay or the Enchantress : Magic
    Magneto (of course ^^) : Meta
    • Like x 1
  8. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

Seriously, though. Just imagine a DLC where you are working with Rocky, Groot, Reed Richards, Johnny Storm, SS, and Captain Marvel to take down Galactus and Lex (who is paving the way for Galactus and preparing him)

Or, on the villain side, attempting to help Lex invite Galactus in while fighting Drax, Gamora, Star-Lord, and Kilowog.
    • Like x 2
  9. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

Ugh.... really? Disney has to ruin Dc comics for me too? Man F you Disney. Disney ruins everything imo. Stick to your dumb shows on Disney channel. Stay out of the superhero stuff!!!!
  10. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

Oh for Mentors? That's difficult because Marvel (in my opinion) has more iconic characters than DC. Hmm.

Hero:
    Tech - Iron Man
    Magic - Dr. Strange
    Meta - Xavier (and in any fight scenes involving Xavier, you're fighting with/alongside Cyke, Logan, or Storm)

Villain:
    Tech: Ultron
    Magic: Dr. DOom
    Meta: Magneto

Alongside the currents of course!
  11. Aren Sul Committed Player

Fascinating.

Actually, I think it all boils down to Sony which has the rights and control of this game. And it's anyone's guess as to how complex Marvel's licensing agreements go with other studios like Fox. (All this is a corporate lawyer's dream).

[IMG]
  12. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

Aren Sul, isn't that strictly for cinematic rights, though?
  13. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

If it were to happen the chances would be less than 0. They're still 2 totally different companies.
    • Like x 1
  14. Juxes Committed Player

Mentors could be

Heroes.

Tech: Iron man
    Meta: Wolverine
    Magic: Thor

Villains.

Tech: Doctor Doom
    Meta: Deadpool
    Magic: Loki
    • Like x 4
  15. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

Greenman,

You never know. If they're both owned by Disney than it actually could happen. Then, they may be two separate companies, but the characters' rights would all be owned by the parent company of Disney.
  16. Aren Sul Committed Player

P.S. Wonder where Stan Lee would crop up in game? ;)
    • Like x 2
  17. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

As a new collectible. Stan Lee Action Figures or Stan Lee Cameos from the movies. Liek the audio bytes you find, but they're audio clips from all of his cameos hahahaha
    • Like x 1
  18. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

I'm a bigger Marvel Fan than I am a DC fan. In fact, I didn't play this game at launch because it was DC. I only picked it up because I was broke and needed a new game. That being said, I hate Wolverine more than I hate Supes ... I wouldn't touch this game if Wolverine was a Mentor.
    What's he going to teach us, how to smoke cigars, yell at people, and claw things??
    Wolverine - "Look, Magneto; I'm gonna claw him!"
    Wolverine - "Look a Sentinel; I'm gonna claw it!"
    Wolverine - "Look, a meteor! Colossus, throw me; I'm gonna claw it!"

(To help explain my disdain of Superman, replace "Wolverine" in the above quotes with "Superman" and "claw it" with "punch it" or "laser eye it.")
    • Like x 1
  19. Delta795 New Player

As long as Shazam gets to smash Marvel and take his friggin name back!
    • Like x 2
  20. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

I agree, to be honest. I'm tired of Logan being the frontman for everything. That's why I went with Xavier. Either have Xavier use his mind powers or have a random X-men member fight in his place.