Daybreak layoff 70 employees

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kuno, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah of course I have the same experiences, I just mean we should keep it factual. There was probably just an agreement to cut the fat, it doesn't necessarily mean the game is at death's door of course and the other thing is what goes first, personally I'd hazard a guess H1Z1 would collapse before DCUO because H1Z1 has way too much competition and it's quite frankly seen as the inferior product amongst the ESports and streaming community.

I'd also expect to see Planetside go by the wayside first as well, unless of course the entire studio crashes.
  2. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Ohh no, by no means is DCUO at deaths door but I could see why some people would be concerned.
    • Like x 1
  3. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I figured I would toss in the links earlier to try and help people understand what is going on. This kind of thing always happens....Especially after mergers, buyouts and when new investors are brought in. That's why I originally chimed in. Trying to help players understand without freaking them out.
    • Like x 1
  4. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

and OG Plasma and OG smoke auras in the market place for $15 bucks a pop / $20 bucks for both. Also all Booster boxes $5 dollars each / 7 boxes for $20 bundled. 100 unlocked time capsules for $40 dollars. 1000 replay badges for $7 dollars. etc etc

Its a fire sale everything must go!!!!!!
    • Like x 4
  5. Proxystar #Perception

yeah absolutely, a context often missed by many because they don't understand how business works, remember when Daybreak was formed there were massive layoffs as well. Companies often go through restructures and although it obviously and rightfully so causes concern it doesn't actually mean imminent closure.
    • Like x 2
  6. Knarlydude Loyal Player

LOL

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  7. Sivulla Dedicated Player

Protect Megan and her smile.

Megan is the key to all of this.
    • Like x 4
  8. Soul Dedicated Player

9. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Doing this right before Christmas is unconscionable. I hope everyone involved finds good work soon.

And if anyone from DCUO has been let go - thank you for all of your work over the years!
    • Like x 2
  10. Shark Dental Devoted Player

These articles are based on third-party impressions from social media, one article from Variety and the since-deleted and impossible to verify impressions of a former employee with significant ire towards the company that used to employ him.

You'll forgive me if I don't find any of that reliable.

These entertainment organizations are clamoring over themselves to re-report the same data, but it all has the same single source, leading to humorous articles such as the following, from ***********:

[Update] We now understand from sources that those laid off may have been working on a secret game with a top IP (at the Austin studio – now confirmed publicly by Variety). It sounds as if the core MMORPGs are safe.

Then look up the source they cite, Variety, who, instead of supporting the claim made, actually completely contradicts it. Lol. Gotta love impromptu journalism.
    • Like x 4
  11. FoolsFire Devoted Player

*Type into Google Translate*...

We now understand from sources that those laid off may have been working on a secret game with a top IP

*Hit Enter*

Uncle Bob's second cousin on his mother's side saw an animal which looks like Grumpy Cat outside the building.

----

Reader: "Since when is Grumpy Cat a top IP?"

[IMG]
  12. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Yeah I just saw.

It's also strange to me how they can't get the number of people... One article says it's 70, some article says it's 60 to 70... and the Variety site says "Lay offs hit Daybreak Studios, rumored to be 70 people"...

Is there actually any lay offs or did someone like John Smedley jump the gun? The more you read into these articles, the more they truly do contradict each other and seem less credible as a result...
    [IMG]

Now I do think some folks did indeed lose their jobs, but I'm having my doubts as to how many employees exactly did lose their jobs, especially if these news articles can't agree on if it's 70 or 60 people lol.
    • Like x 3
  13. Shark Dental Devoted Player

That's the trouble with rumors.

It may turn out to be 70. Or 60. Or 20., or any other amount.

It doesn't mean you can't trust the news, it just means that it's important to always check the sources.

Otherwise you'll end up with a coconut oil toothbrush and a Tesla, lol.

No, what do I know, maybe Tesla's are the greatest automobile ever. I've never had one.
    • Like x 2
  14. Proxystar #Perception

I sent mine back to Elon, it's now in orbit.
  15. Kuno Loyal Player

I think we will have some short of announcement or explication about Daybreak current situation. I know they are not going to tell us the details, specially if they're nasty but with this kind of news you just can't pretend nothing happened (#transparency, remember?).
    We have to wait and see.
  16. TheOtherLeague Well-Known Player

Man, if this is true, this bites. Especially during the holiday season. I seriously wish there was a law against firing people in the month of December (granted, there's no good time to lose one's job, but the end if year particularly hurts.)

Above all, I just hope the people who have really made this game shine this year, like Megan, Ocean, and NerdOfPrey aren't affected by this. They're too good and have done too much to be shown the door.
    • Like x 1
  17. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Along with the Batman vs. Superman Swag Bags! ;)
  18. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

First I heard about it was a public tweet yesterday from one of the Devs that I follow...

[IMG]

So that's 1 laid-off employee confirmed.
    • Like x 2
  19. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

There are more examples:
    • one newspage claimed John Smedley is a president of Daybreak Games
    • another claimed Daybreak Games has a Studio in South Korea
    Another newspage claimed they have found signs that they are working on another Battle Royale style game and might be nearing the announcement of the title.
    • Like x 1
  20. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

Yikes, that's not good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.