Daybreak layoff 70 employees

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kuno, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eve YouTuber

In the article:
    • Like x 1
  2. Shark Dental Devoted Player

How do you know it was 1/3 of the developers?
  3. Belthazur Dedicated Player

Layoffs in December of ALL Months is just HEARTLESS and CRUEL..SHAME on the Powers that Be
    • Like x 4
  4. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

I’m not going to argue with you. Obviously I don’t know it was 1/3 because I don’t work there. It was an estimate given in news articles based on comments from developers and the former head aka Smedley.

An update seems to suggest that the core MMOs will be fine and that the layoffs were for an upcoming IP.

Hopefully that’s true and if so it’s good news.

Still cause for concern tho.
  5. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

hopefully everyone opening up their exiting gift boxes will get the piece they need to finish off their severance pay.
    • Like x 2
  6. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

7. Masm Active Player

This announcement coming shortly after the FTC announces they are going to be investigating loot boxes in video games......Interesting..
    • Like x 2
  8. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

uhm... 70 seems more like a rumor. It could be 10 or 100 as far as we know, but the truth is: We DON'T know.
    • Like x 2
  9. Magnificent Loyal Player

It definitely depends on the people making the decisions. CoX was reportedly still profitable when NCSoft pulled the plug. Marvel Heroes was still actively in development when Marvel/Disney suddenly ended their relationship with Gazillion just over a year ago.

SOE/Daybreak has gone through these before, the worrying part to me is that the last one was just back in April. A company having multiple job-sheds during a single year is not a good thing.

For all reading this... if you enjoy the game then support it with more than lip-service. Get a sub, buy SC and talk others into doing the same.
    • Like x 1
  10. Magnificent Loyal Player

It's funny you mention that...

Yesterday there was a thread on here where someone was calling out a specific player for being a jerkwad. Naming names like that has always been verboten on the boards yet it remained up for a good chunk of the day whereas in prior years it would have been taken down fairly quickly.
    • Like x 3
  11. tukuan Devoted Player

Sorry but I've never gotten the "I'm investing mentality" for gaming. If the game gives you enjoyment then consider if it's worth your money. If not play for free or if that's not viable find another game.

As long as the content is fun I'll keep my sub up.
    • Like x 5
  12. tukuan Devoted Player

I agree but the sad reality is that for corporations who's fiscal year is the same as the calendar year they often announce cost cutting measures to offset poor quarterly of end of year statements so investors don't panic. Of course it's never great to find out you're getting laid off but this is even more compounded by by major purchases in November due to sales only to find out in December that money is needed to shore things up. Ideally employees should get at least some sort of indication that changes are coming but that's rarely the case, so it's the perfect storm of crappy circumstances.
  13. DaPhun48 Well-Known Player

Weekends basically there is no mod here. It’s been like that for a fair while now. The post is still there!

I sincerely doubt they gaf about the forums of an 8yo game, when jobs are on the line.
    • Like x 1
  14. Trexlight Devoted Player

This was reportedly late lastnight from both *********** and even Variety. I havent read the Polygon article so Im not sure they mentioned it but most if not all Layoffs were from an Unannounced Game at the Austin Studio. Again, pure rumor but they have "sources" but all conjecture unless people speak up who were actually there.

This completely sucks and I hope for the Devs to be able to find something soon.
    • Like x 3
  15. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Some speculation in the later comments of the mmorpg article point out this could be related to Daybreak’s move to mobile gaming with things like EQ and H1Z1. If that’s the case, there’s no reason to make changes to the DCUO team because I’m sure it can’t be changed to mobile due to the licensing agreement.

DCUO is a unique beast within Daybreak because of the licensing agreement. They have certain requirements to meet or DC / Warner will pull the plug. I imagine it’s kind of an all or nothing affair - if they change too much with DCUO, then they’re effectively shutting it down entirely.
    • Like x 2
  16. Isif Committed Player

Engaged. Best of wishes to anyone who loses their employment this time of year.
    • Like x 1
  17. Schimaera Devoted Player

Well this could also be a matter of stating a truth without giving an answer.

"That is not correct" targets the assumption that the layoffs were concentrated in Austin.
    "Our Austin office is not closing" is not an answer as to whether people were laid off or not.

Whelp we can all still hope that it's "just" layoffs in the overhead. Usually these are way too big.
  18. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

19. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

The fact that Smedley tweeted it and then deleted it tells me that he still has friends there and they probably texted or called him about it after it happened, so I would trust his numbers.

Just my opinion tho.
    • Like x 1
  20. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Oh yeah, that sucks for them. What a thing to do. I’m just exasperated at people using the situation to declare that the end is nigh.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.