Controller Role Truth(To The Devs): I'm Not Sure Why This Is So Hard To Understand....

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by TrueOlympus, Apr 9, 2014.

1. TrueOlympus New Player

agreed. I'n not quite sure what is being discussed anymore and I made the thread. Its gotten the most overall agreement of any thread I ever made, yet there still some sort of argument still going on. As long as it stays constructive I'm fine though:)
    • Like x 1
  2. Kiza Uzumaki New Player

i did anb 1 time with 4trolls 2heals 2tanks no dps and we did it in less than 45mins dps is 4 raid speed thats it. dps pshhh its nt a necessity if dc got rid of the dps "role" thier would be no harm done. raids would take alot longer thats it. take away the troll role thiers no power 4 ppl. take the healing role thiers a mass wipe because ppl health r rapidly dropping. drop the tank role well whos gonna attract the bosses attention so im nt getting hit while i spam my clip. so point made
    • Like x 1
  3. Dazuzi New Player

If being part of a team feels like slavery, I recommend you switch to some non-coop game. It's the same for each role, they work towards a mutual goal.

You are only describing bad players, bad players by definition are bad. There's nothing more to say about that. Also, as soon as you accept that trolling is not same as healing, as in you can't keep everyone's power bar full constantly, it gets more pleasant.

I've done three man Nexus without a healer a few times, it can also be done without a tank, does that mean we should get rid of the other five people, or the "useless" roles? I've also soloed quite a few of the lower tier raids (T2-T4), does that mean we should get rid of even more people/roles?

SOE could remove the damage role, but it wouldn't change the fact that you need to deal DAMAGE, it would still mean that damage is the only thing you really need, everything else is just icing on the cake. There is use and need for each of the roles, no matter how much you hate some of them.
  4. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

I blame DPS players and the game mechanics.
    When it comes down to it, it's not a problem with how much power that controllers generate; it all has to do with DPS players spamming powers and DPS-generated might-based damage.

I've said it before. It's true.

The DEVs nerf controllers to deal with power-spamming DPS generating too much might-based damage.

It's clear that Controllers are not to blame.
    It's the DPS.

As I have said before, I say limit the amount of power that DPS can regain from other players (mostly Controllers). This puts the pressure on the DPS player to pace themselves.

Perhaps the DPS power vitalization- rate from other players should be limited to that generated by a POT. (Yes, insta-power won't help DPS much at all - that's what they get)

Then when the DPS yells "MOAR POWER!", a controller can say - "See the POT is active? You are getting all you can get. Deal with it."

As for the power-generated by weapons, let DPS generate as much as they want.

This will change the End-game so DEVs can punishing others for DPS behavior.
    • Like x 2
  5. Kiza Uzumaki New Player

i in no way implied that we should get rid of the dpses. dps is my im bored role. its the role that just 4 fun. and i dnt hate dpses i just hate when ppl say potpotpotpotptopotpto recharge recharge recharge recharge recharge recharge like trolls can keep thier power bars full at all times. i love being a troll its really full but spammers kill me. i mean i dont complain but wow. i seeen a celestial dps 1 time with 00k power in no1 even came close but this guy out dpsed by like 1.5-2 mill i was like omg ur op. his name was sageoftenpaths
  6. Dazuzi New Player

If you're doing your best and it's not enough, then it's not enough. There's nothing you can do about it, so it doesn't matter what others are saying. To but it bluntly: they can **** themselves. It's up to the other people to deal with the amount of power they're receiving, same as it's your job to restore power and try to deal with the power usage.

As soon as you accept that you can't keep everyone's power bar full, trolling will get easier and more pleasant. You just do your best and let the others do their job, which is to convert that available power to whatever is the most beneficial for the group. If someone spams powers, then you just restore the amount of power you can. Just to note: there's some people who spam random powers like no tomorrow and don't do any damage, those are annoying and what people usually call "bad players". There's a huge difference between that and someone who actually knows how to use the power.

Celestial is also extremely power efficient, same goes for nature. Nature can keep three high DoTs up with minimal power usage. They only need to use one power once every ~11 seconds, the same power spreads those DoTs to other mobs. All powers aren't like that, there's basically two types of powers: burst and over time. The burst powers will always use more power, they can't achieve the same damage output with as low power usage, but these burst powers can generally speaking outperform over time powers clearly.

This is how I put the damage dealing and power usage issue in other topic:
  7. Kiza Uzumaki New Player

dude trolling isnt all about power outage thats wat makes trolling so boring. is when ppl just want u 2 spam pot and rechargge no debuffs no crowd controll no nothing trolling doesnt feel like trolling it feels like slave work. trolls get chewed on more than any other role. healers and dpses have it easy tanks depend on every1 and every1 depends on trolls. i love playing all roles. healing is probably the easiest. then dps then tank then troll. im done responding to u cause u keep saying the same thing and so do i its pointless.
  8. Dazuzi New Player

That's the core of the role, so you might want to switch role if you consider it boring. It's like healer saying that healing is a minimal part of the role, and healing's what makes it boring. There is absolutely no need for CC or debuffing when the mobs die instantly, in some situations you can freeze the mobs, but even that's rarely useful. You can debuff bosses, but that's minimal part of trolling, and doesn't really chance anything.

You are delusional if you think trolls have it the worst. You only need to look at the most hated role to see how wrong you are.

Damage dealers: if you can't keep up with the top damage dealers in the group, prepare to get kicked and called different names. Also, there's a good chance the people in the group won't invite you ever again to any group, because you've been marked as a bad damage dealer. That's not all, there's also trolls who start raging at you if you use any power, tanks who stop tanking if you get too close to bosses/mobs, healers who won't even try to heal you if you get too close to mobs/bosses. I've also seen topics where people have clearly stated that they don't revive damage dealers, if those damage dealers aren't playing in an acceptable way.

You've clearly spent some time on these forums, so you've probably seen all the topics blaming damage dealers for everything and demonizing them. You still think trolls have it the worst? Are you kidding me? Trolls only get yelled at if you don't do you core part of your role: power restore. That's the only thing you need to do.
  9. HHAAZZEE New Player

This guy is delusional^ I could write an essay longer than all his previous comments combined as to why but why bother. Dude your just a great example of the kind of fool who replies for the sake of reply on these forums and its really getting tedious reading this drivel, I need to stop coming here.
  10. Derio 15000 Post Club

You could just fix your problem by stop running with crappy dps
  11. Phantasy2013 Dedicated Player

^ This times 1000. I really wish people get over their egos and know it all attitude. I have had "so called" experts try to tell me how to Control but couldn't heal a cold, hold aggro or burn an enemy. I love it how those who played for 3 months and skipped content and tier gear, haven't beat Prime Battleground yet with 40 or less skill points think they can tell me about how to be a great Controller. I have been leagueless since Day 1 so no league ever carried me through content and been playing a Controller for almost two years this September and been invited by many many leagues and Control for many friends. I feel I am a darn great Controller and I feel that if you feel Im not doing my job(s), not how you feel I should do them but in general, then go on your alt,main or whatever and Control then.

I NEVER felt like just a battery because I know my role has other benefits to my team besides giving out power and no one can tell me otherwise. As long as you are getting power that allows you to do your job, then one should keep their opinions to themselves and carry on. To sum it up, I play how I see fit and make my own decisions when it comes to crowd controlling, giving power, protecting my group with my shields and debuffing. Believe me, every Controller should know their worth. I laugh at groups who try to disrespect me and I leave and seconds later looking a Controller....seconds turn to many minutes later...and I have completed a few runs by that time lol.
    • Like x 2
  12. Phantasy2013 Dedicated Player

I love the challenge of being a Controller. It should be tweaked a bit but knowing I truly hold the power of life and death makes being a Controller that much blissful. Without my power...how do you heal? How do you use your powers? When that blue bar is empty, you are as good as dead in a mission. Colas and supply drops can only help so much.

Please consider a change in the mechanics devs and content. I ♥ being a Controller. Most times I think its the misinformed players who are either envious or just have to hate on something that have issues with Controllers. Seems like at times, the greatest issue is the mindset of the community.
  13. Kiza Uzumaki New Player

the core of the controller role is crowd CONTROL. and yes ur right unless ur a power such as earth ur supposed to be putting out od damage amd half the ****** dpses be noobs who be 99 cr qith 86 sp thinking they gonna do damage. you know wat udont even troll. trolling has changed over time and and so has dpsing.my last statement is this dps is only 4 speed. theres no neeed to revive a dps simply because ur job can be put on hold if u die. if the tank dies then theres no1 taking in the bosses if the healer dies then thiiers no1 to heal the group 4 a certain amount of time and if the trolls die then thiers no1 2 1 debuff boss to keep tank from dying 2 debufff adds 4 quick burn 3 restore power. it was good talking 2 u but im done.
  14. Kiza Uzumaki New Player

I AGREE WITH THIS 100% BUT SOME PPL (MELEE DPSES) CAN DPS WITH A EMPTY POWER BAR POWERS LIKE EARTH AND ELECTRICITY ARE MELEE DPS WHICH MAKES THEM HARDER TO USE.
    YOU GOT THAT RIGHT ON THE MONEY.
  15. junglejim New Player

Cant believe this still going, so whats the consensus here? I dont believe any experienced controllers think the role needs reinventing. Nor do I believe they have issues powering a group or using cc when they deem appropriate.

Seems to me that its less experienced guys struggling . Someone made the point that there's lots of good trolls these days as the community standard for having a good troll now is staying powered throughout the instance. Sad but its brutally honest. Most wouldnt know a good troll if he jumped up and bit them on the ***.

My rules are simple I keep my pug rules same as my solo rules. If im providing enough power for the next move or 2 your planning its ample. If bars arent dry its fine. Ill still debuff cc and combo whenever I see fit cos thats how I like to play. Im not hard headed about it if my style is not meshing seamlessly with the groups then ill adjust and play old school battery but I honestly cant recall a stand out time that happened.

I feel like myself and other experienced controllers can help wuth info and tips but its just regurgitating info already on these forums . We wouldn't be bringing anything new to the table. The biggest issue I find is lack of info for new guys who arent the forum types. Geez I know day 1 players that had to have the differences between gauss debuffing and foam debuffing healers explained for pvp.

Im not saying get on our level im saying if your struggling and want to get better then seek out the info we all did. A loading screen pointing to all the great player made role guides on the forums wouldnt be the worst way to start for the devs
    • Like x 1
  16. Thedumme103 Well-Known Player

I honestly hope the devs don't pay attention to this forum because I love the controller role the way it is. If you can't keep a group powered up and throw a debuff in every now and them, you should work harder to figure out ways to spread power much better, not complain on the forums that the game is broken. Not to mention, learn what your weapons and powers do too. I recently placed Warped Reality (a weapon proc move) into my loadout just see of it would do anything since any enemy that hits has a chance to be floated, so with handblasters spreading damage to all of the adds in front of me (don't use solar flare, the tap range after the hold range spreads to a larger area, almost the whole field in front of your character). I have no problem wih powering up groups and including this and my defense debuff into alerts.

Sadly people don't realize that if the controller role was super easy and used little power to power groups, we would end up only having 1 troll in raids. :(
  17. Dazuzi New Player

That may have been the original idea, but the gameplay has evolved quite a bit since the release of the game. Currently tank does most of the needed CC, damage dealers nuke the mobs to death and trolls restore power. There's some room for CC, but it's extremely rare. Of course you can spam CC whenever you want, but it won't help your group. As an example, I ran Nexus today with one of my troll characters, our tank had to go AFK, but we continued anyway. I rushed ahead and stunned the mobs, damage dealers nuked them to death and that was it. That's one of the rare exceptions when CC can be useful.

Yes, damage dealing is only for damage, which equals to speed. Damage dealers aren't necessary at all, but damage itself is. Damage dealers are the most mistreated group of players there are. Everyone's damage dealer by default, so the bad players give bad reputation for all of them, so people think all of them are like that. Have you seen all the troll topics about how trolls are mistreated and so on? Who's the real victim here? If you think of it, trolls have it the best, healers come next and then damage dealers and tanks. You can easily get in raids as a troll or healer, even with extremely bad stats.

Also, it doesn't matter if some of the other roles die either. You can do pretty much all of bosses in the game without a tank, healer or a troll. Note: without one of those, not without all of them. Losing one role doesn't mean anything. As an example I've personally done Nexus in tank+damage dealer+troll setup, and I've seen people do it in healer+damage dealer+troll setup. Change that to a full group, and missing one role means nothing.
  18. Ilikecookies New Player

Bump, wish devs would listen to this
  19. Mister Majesty Committed Player

Regardless of how any one individual person feels about the controller role, the role itself is slowly dying off, due to a mix of how the community abuses the role in general (and no, I'm not referring to how YOU personally, sitting at your computer right now reading this post, treat controllers. Forum posters only represent a small percentage in general), as well as how the devs have evolved the role themselves through a mixture of altering mechanics and pumping out content that is more dps and power out-centric.

Eventually, (and judging from the LFG chat on any random day, it is already happening), the controller community will walk away from the role itself, leaving many a raid group without a troller to feed them power.

It may not be our fault, but that doesn't change the fact that it is happening.