Controller Role Truth(To The Devs): I'm Not Sure Why This Is So Hard To Understand....

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by TrueOlympus, Apr 9, 2014.

1. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Yes I will use that as an argument because weak controllers use the argument that they can't keep groups powered as reason for change. Their is nothing wrong with current mechanics. Controllers should be able to power and control within the needs of current content. Their are a score of players who don't take the time to learn the mechanics and then complain because some DPS/Tank/Healer yelled at them.

Its amazing you don't understand that the reason I'm talking about aggro is that if your playing with a smart controller, their CC is not going to get in your way. At all. And if immunity does occur pulling doesn't matter because the adds are already grouped*(if the troll is working with the tank immunity doesn't matter if it occurs. And shouldn't happen much at all anyways). I'm not saying controllers should run ahead of the tank and start just throwing CC everywhere and stunning/possibly granting immunity all over the place. I'm saying controllers should be working within the group and the tank. CC is done passively thats how controlling works. That's the way attacks work for controllers. Its all done passively.

Your wrong about how the role should be played at the highest level. The best controllers in game do not play the role that way. They'd tell you they can power and control at the same time. This thread does not exist to ask for more content that would make controllers more than batteries. The question proposed by the OP is was is it necessary? The answer is a little more complicated than yes or no. It depends on group make up, group CR level, group skill etc. I do think we'll see more content in the future where controllers will be expected to control more but its always going to depend on how overgeared everyone is. I don't play the same way in Khandaq as I do in Nexus. The adds die to quick. It's more beneficial to be a battery since the group is so overgeared. I don't play the same way in raids as I do in Alerts or Duo's. I also don't play the same way in a conventional group set up as I do when I solo troll with 6 other DPS. That's where adjusting to the group comes into play.

As stated by many other players their is content all throughout the game where CC can benefit the team. It just depends on the groups level and skill how much of a benefit that is. We'll likely see more content where that's beneficial. It is a want from the community and their adjusting AoE attacks(GU 36) which would point to that.
    • Like x 3
  2. krimzonk Committed Player

Spot on! Couldn't have said it better myself.
    • Like x 2
  3. daplatobah New Player

jajajajaja aahahahahaaa

Thanks.
  4. Darth Loyal Player

Currently there is a set amount of power Controllers can put out in certain amount of time and at a certain power cost. This is because power is meant to be a limited resource, unlike health. No matter how many power moves they add, they'll likely be looking keep the amount of power you give out the same as it is now at a specific Vit.

To add a power giving AOE they would have to do a lot of balancing so that the maximum amount of power/power cost you can give in a certain amount of time does not surpass what it is now. It may seem like a good idea but it would require a lot more work than I think most people realize. I don't think it would be as viable as people think because they might have to be stacking them in the same place to keep up with the current powersets' power out (unless they limited you 2 one at a time of course).

Adding more power giving move to Controllers would require a ton of work. Way more than people realize. They would have to balance it's power out/time and power out/power cost to the same level it is right now. If you think about that, you'll see that it means a ton of work. I'm not even sure if there's a way to do it properly. I haven't been able to think of one. The power mechanics are perfectly balanced right now (other than Instant Power's VPC). If they can keep the same balance though I'd back the idea.
    • Like x 1
  5. Drakejunior New Player

I agree power is already balanced the way it is adding another mechanic would be a hassle and a waste of power or............ they can make a (official (kind of..)) second tier branch off the 4 bases we have and. like battle troller nd battery or MIGHT nd PRECISION BASED DPS or idk make something up for other roles.
  6. J Zmooth New Player

Let them put in the work for it then. Change is inevitable and I doubt they keep things the same for trolls forever. They've done massive amount of work for GU 36 and the WM which will be a change for the history of DC. Why not make changes to the most complex role in the game?
  7. HHAAZZEE New Player

Never been a pure battery as a troll and never will be. When trolling I can keep pot up constantly, necessary debuffs on constantly, keep the group powered, pick up when needed, cc anything cc'able e.t.c. if you cant then dont blame the community, blame yourself...

All id ask for is some small tweaks and more content where trolls are crucial like A&B last boss.
    • Like x 1
  8. Darth Loyal Player

That's a question of time and money actually. Should they really put that much time and money into fixing something that isn't broken just to make the people who haven't learnt the role yet and the community that would rather be healers anyways happy? I doubt that's a good investment at all.

From what I've heard, controlling has changed quite a bit between the alpha, beta and first few months of the game's release. Hasn't changed much in the past 2.5 years but that might just be because it was hard enough finding a proper balance in the first place.

Personally, I would hate if they changed the most complex, versatile and challenging role in the game to make it more simple and bland for those who can't figure it out. I'm a Controller and I love my role. It doesn't need to get turned to easy mode.
    • Like x 3
  9. TheDark Devoted Player

Tanks... :rolleyes:

Just taunt and block. Most NPCs will run towards you.
    • Like x 2
  10. warpax New Player

acording to pc test. there is no need for healer in alert, and is the fastest way to the alert. what is your suggestion controlers should do? try core strenght mod, and do wepon materies combos to maximize your dmg. it will feel like dpsing but without the use of superpoers to do dmg. for me still a better solution than beeing a healer and not be needed in alert at all.
  11. iSimply New Player

LOL be a tank to be in control of an alert? Yea, no. Too many pew pew dps see a tank in the group and just try to rush through everything and leave the tank behind.
    • Like x 2
  12. J Zmooth New Player

Adding an AoE wouldn't make it simple or easy. It would be adding more variation to the role. People enjoy the other roles because there's Variation.
    You might hate it if they change it but it will be changed like it or not. There has been multiple posts on the matter. And of course you'll love your role because that's your main Toon. I'll assume that's your only according to your signature but its going to be easy for you compared to people who aren't fully nodded with 90 gear . You have a high vit and you've played Dc a long time. Many players make a Troll and don't understand much about the role at all and you really can't expect them to because there's no in-game guide on how to play your role. Whether it be DPS, troll, tank, or healer.

I met a guy in FOS 3 that thought that quantum didn't have an IPH, so he was only casting POT. Until I explained to him where his IPH was in his Power tree. I know for certain he is not the first and won't be the last.
  13. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

please increase cooldown for IP, that is all.
    • Like x 1
  14. Dolfo Dedicated Player

As I said a few pages back there are alot of dookie dpses out there who don't understand power management at all yet they try to consider themselves "OP". The highest damage doesn't always mean great job dpsing when those who are right up there with you use a fraction of what you did as well as have less death.

(I'm talking to the Rage Crashers and DooDoo dpses who refuse to not take damage or even make an effort in avoiding it.)

Yet they don't consider the effects that all this has on the raid/alert or the DCUO community itself. The players are big problem in themselves. It's no1 elses fault that we as a community 4-5dps on a consistent basis, even though there is little difference within how fast the content gets finished. Especially when we add inadequate dpses in the mix.
  15. JRsoFLY_123 Committed Player

I miss saying this but...

Sgt Archer Approved!

True can you help me on how to put images on this text box its not working for me xD and I need my stamp of approval!
  16. TrueOlympus New Player

You have to upload any pictures FROM photobucket.

So basically:
    Step 1. Make a photo-bucket account
    Step 2. Upload photos to aforementioned new account
    Step 3. Simply copy and paste photos from your gallery into whatever you want
    • Like x 1
  17. JRsoFLY_123 Committed Player

IMMA FIND YOU A COOKIE SIR FOR YOU!
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. Darth Loyal Player

Personally I could care less about variation. The only reason anyone should care about variation between the Controller roles is if they have multiple Controller toons with different powersets for some reason. If they don't than it shouldn't matter if there's variation because its not like they're using it.

The reason why I enjoy the Controller role and know I won't/don't enjoy any other role as much is because of the versatility and complexity of it. No other role can do as many tasks as the Controller role. Tbh its good that there isn't an enormous learning curve between the different Controller powersets. People have trouble enough figuring out how to be an effective Controller right now. Imagine if there was a variation between them making the learning curve that much more steep.

I know I'll be able to adapt to what ever changes they make to the role. Adapting is the biggest skill a Controller needs to have in the first place. The question would be whether I enjoy the changes or not. If they make the role too simple, force me to put out less damage or turn me into a blue bar healer, I guarantee I won't enjoy them and will most likely stop being a Controller.

The biggest changes to the Controller role right now should be fixing the VPC and maybe (and its an iffy maybe) make the IP cooldown longer and increase its power out to scale. Maybe something around a 20%-50% cooldown and power out increase. Don't quote me on that second part yet.
    • Like x 3
  19. Gadget*Switch New Player

FYI all Adds in game gives back a 110 power orb when it dies. There is a HT chest mod that gives back a 200 power orb when a target dies.
  20. Alexonic Committed Player

non in instances
    • Like x 1