Breaking the Stats Revamp - BROKEN and you won't believe HOW

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by tiempo, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Have you actually trolled on test server? Coming from someone who has, the amount of power that the trolls give compared the power that the passive regen gives is negligible. People will look at this video and think this is the most effective way to do damage and copy it. If you have 5 dps doing this monstrosity in a raid, the troll will not be able to keep them all up, guaranteed. Maybe 1 or 2, but not all 5. That's why they force you to spec into power, so it decreases your damage and doesn't cause any balance issues between the playstyles.
    • Like x 5
  2. tiempo Well-Known Player

I know it's bad news, but someone had to say it, haters gonna hate. But you heard the old saying, Don't shoot the messenger!
  3. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

I've done this in duos with no problems with power. Sure i had to mess with my spec to get it right but it can be done and from what he's said and from what i was reading in server chat they were using it in raids also.

Don't be so quick to judge stuff unless you tried it. I have yet to do it in a raid but if i can do it in a duo thats enough for me, we don't need anything like this going on.

And another thing for some people, when this update goes live some groups will run 2 trolls if they need the power for optimal dps just like we used to run 2 or 3 back in the day so things like this could become more common if this isn't looked into.
    • Like x 2
  4. tiempo Well-Known Player

I'm off to work now(real job), but I have more footage using this method in DWF with one troller. I'll see if I can get it on here for all to see by tonight.
    • Like x 5
  5. Celestial Powers Committed Player

Uh, sparring targets or not, if the best way to dps is to spam one power over and over you can bet anything dps will stack trolls to support the playstyle.

Simple fix would be to half the damage an ability does if used more than twice without other inputs
    • Like x 1
  6. BumblingB I got better.

3 trolls was used mostly for Hybrid gameplay. Primarily for Phase Dodge clipping, but not limited to.

I can say that because of the loadout that Shin-O-B gave me with Gadgets as a simple pftt option, we are supposed to have a multitarget spam power. I feel this attack is fine, but maybe splitting should be looked at. In my test parses, pdart is a bread and butter for pftt gadgets if you have lower power pool, but I started see I could sneak in other higher costing powers. Like in the medium range, like Gauss and started doing more damage.

So if you look at it, with infinite power, I could probably do a Gauss Grenade spam and gain higher results. (If it hits...)
    • Like x 2
  7. DistantWalker Well-Known Player

t
    See, you just made a situation that would never happen just to defend PftT LOL. 5 dps doing this same exact thing? Please stop.
  8. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

You mean like they do now on live server? Yeah you're right that's totally not possible.
    • Like x 4
  9. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

This right here.
    • Like x 1
  10. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

I think players like it op so they can brag about their god skills damage lmao.
  11. Tsavorentless Dedicated Player

Oh ya and this was exactly the wm exodus . Lets hit one power over n over spam. Wut happened lets go play sonething else.

Again this why I only want hybrid. If they can do it ok but there are so many variables. Obviously this is test to figure things out but wut will happen when they try n fix this it will break something else.
  12. Tsavorentless Dedicated Player

Plus 1million I didn't even need to read the 2nd page and I thought this.
  13. Moja Developer

Thanks for testing and finding the damage splitting bug with Anti-matter Bomb. We'll be fixing that. :)

This video is an excellent demonstration of the value of Power as a damage stat. In the full spam rotation, you're using Power consistently and never sitting at full, but in the hybrid rotation you're overusing weapon attacks and thus sitting at full for too long, which is why it's not performing as well (with the infinite power from the sparring targets). We're going to be removing the power return on sparring targets to give a more accurate representation of DPS conditions to mitigate this issue. But, given infinite power, you could be spamming even higher cost abilities and greatly outperforming DPS from spammers (100 cost 0.5 cd abilities).

There are two other issues that this video illustrates which we've already said we'll be addressing, but are not ready for Test yet:
    1) Controllers as power healers disproportionately benefit PftT builds over hybrid and weapons. We are working on solutions for this internally, and will let you know when our plans are more final.
    2) Weapons have not had a polish pass yet. This will make longer combos and weapon mastery abilities more competitive.

I will also note that we're not aiming for a Solar Flare spam fest either, and we may make adjustments to some of the shorter weapon combos with long animation times to reduce (but not eliminate) the benefits from clipping.

Thanks again for the feedback. Videos like this are always helpful.
    • Like x 17
  14. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

Seems to me an easy fix is to have each power do X amount of damage based on their animation time. Then this type of thing would not be an issue. Of course this type of thing should have already been done. It just makes sense to have powers do damage based on the time it takes to cast them. They should also have a correlation with how much power they cost. Fix that and this should not be an issue. unless I am missing something.
    • Like x 1
  15. Elusian Crowd Control

The whole combo power system is also part of PftT. You sure as Light player that you dont wanna be able to be competitive with combo gameplay?
    • Like x 4
  16. The Jelly Bean Dedicated Player

Good luck balancing all that crap. True gameplay is hybrid style. Jellybean did not come to play dc just to use a weapon only. And if there is a weapon playstyle, then all their power specific feats are to be removed as they as 'power' less.
  17. Tsavorentless Dedicated Player

Yeah it is and i'd still rather it be hybrid. I'd rather there be balance over everything.
    • Like x 1
  18. Roocck Committed Player

It can and hopefully it will!!!!
  19. Karasawa Loyal Player

Interesting. I agree that abilities that don't split damage are just too good on mobs. Terror Tendrils, Arc Lightning, and Tesla Ball have the same problem. But it sounds like your primary concern is that spamming one low cost ability is overperforming other (more complex) rotations. Is that correct? Or is your concern that PftT is out-performing Hybrid?

If you're worried about Hybrids then don't be too concerned yet. Avair said previously that weapons are underperforming at the moment and would be getting another damage pass to increase the damage of longer combos, adjust the CC, etc. which should also buff Hybrids. We should probably hold off on the PftT vs Hybrid comparison for now.

If you're worried about low cost abilities being too strong then I agree it will be a problem for PftT builds if their best rotation is to spam one button over and over again. However, I'm a bit skeptical that that's really the case just from watching your video. All the abilities, including the low cost ones, should have similar cast times between 1-1.2 seconds. So if you added a 200 cost ability with the same cast time to your rotation it would theoretically increase your DPS over the 100 power spam (at the cost of more power).

If you're willing, then I'd be happy to test this theory out with you or your league. We would need to settle on a standard PftT spec and record parse results. I suggest only using parse results with 166 CR gear with the same exact mod setup.

Edit - doh, Moja explained it already.
  20. BumblingB I got better.

What is the formula for splitting? So we can figure out if any other power is not splitting properly. I know that terror tendrils was not splitting before, which made it very good power to utilize.

Also, are we intended to have some powers not split? During GU36's changes, they made all powers that were multitarget split after 2 and hit up to 8 enemies and all supercharges split after 8 and hit up to 16 enemies. Is this still correct?