Best Tank Power

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by TurquoiseShadow, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Mia Skye Well-Known Player

There is still the mitigation cap and the armor penetration works different as well, read Kristyana's guide for info on the defensive cap he explains it really well.
  2. recespieces31 New Player

The damage mitigation before it was just updated, was based off 100% Dominance score and 13.5% Restoration score (Bitter Winds, Shattered Restraints, and Winter Ward) and Reflection was based off of 100% Dominance score and 50% Restoration score on top of a max 10,000 Damage reflected back
    Now WW, SR, and Reflection (+ the 10,000 reflected Damage max) all have a mitigation damage base of 100% Dominance score and 100% Restoration score...Bitter Winds mitigation was not changed
  3. Mia Skye Well-Known Player

Those are shields...those are different than damage mitigation from defense.
  4. SLEVINKELEVRA New Player

FIRE TANK #1. ICE IS OK. EARTH IS THE WORST.
  5. recespieces31 New Player

I agree...damage mitigation from Defense is the 71 Defense= 1% Damage mitigation at level 30, plus the armor penetration from certain content
  6. BRUDHAWALT New Player

am not assuming, they raise it after t1 came out, they then raise it after t2 came out then yet again after t3 came out and guess what then again after t4..... with each new gear tier the defence goes up.... it has to in order to keep up with the new Npc's because if they did not they would just melt you like butter..... yes there is a cap.... yes it will be raised when t5 comes out.... me trying to tell you something that you think theres some kind of dam conspiracy too...... priceless!

do you really think the def cap is the same as when fos was the hardest thing to run in the game? ITS NOT!
  7. BRUDHAWALT New Player

There is no Defense cap...there is Armor Penetration, which T2 content ignores 12% of Defense and T3 and T4 (I believe, but not 100% sure) ignores 25% of Defense...My Tank is sitting at 7,771 buffed Defense

ty recespiecus
    checkmate Mia...... your move
  8. Slado Active Player

Checkmate?

This doesn't address damage mitigation and exactly what that 7700 defense actually does.

Like Mia said, please read Kristyana's guide. You will educate yourself instead of quoting what other people write.
  9. SLEVINKELEVRA New Player

GOTTA AGREE WIT BRUDHAWALT N RECESPIECES. THEY WON THE ARGUMENT.
  10. BRUDHAWALT New Player

i " educated " myself with 2 years of ice, new content = greater defence or damage penetration, thats it plan an simple
    you can sit here and debate tomato and tamato all you like, but the fact is New content = greater defence or damage penetration
    Prove to me where in the past it has not! Ice will not be "left behind" if you really think that well...... you know what they say about people who assume......
  11. PKMN12 New Player

Maybe it should be this: Everyone has their own opinions and playstyle, some people like ice tanking, others like fire tanking, some like earth tanking.
  12. Slado Active Player

I never said it won't get raised. I said read Kristyana's guide so you understand exactly what the powers do by the numbers. Based on your comments you don't really understand the finer points of the powerset and how it works.

That said, EVERYONE should read Kristyana's guide to tanking. People new to tanking and vets can learn something.
  13. Manny254 New Player

Please explain to me how Earth is the worst.
  14. TalonHunter New Player

Honestly i have found Earth easier to use as a tank in a Solo play situation (which is primarily what i do, since i suck at paying attention to others) though i do like ice and fire (hoping GU23 improves ice/fire for me)
  15. Mia Skye Well-Known Player

If you watched the last webcast Jens answered the question on armor penetration, you can read about that in Kristyana or my guide. There is no longer t1 ignores so much, t2 ignores so much, etc. Each enemy now ignores a certain amount of defense ranging up to 25%, a t1 enemy is able to ignore 25% of defense.

Looking through the update notes and to all my time playing this game they never increased the mitigation cap it was always at 75% (somebody please provide PROOF where it was lower at one time).
  16. Kristyana New Player

They have never raised the defense cap, not even once. There hasn't BEEN a true defense cap for almost a year and a half now. They have raised armor piercing to give you the illusion that you're getting tougher with more defense but in reality nerf you with new content so you need more defense to get the same mitigation you had before.

Defense USED to be hard capped at 5278, which means Ice tanks had the highest mitigation possible in full T2 gear. They never had to block because there was no benefit from it; they didn't take any less damage.

To counter this, the developers added Armor Piercing where every mob and boss (now) dynamically ignores anywhere from 10-25% of your armor, and even if you get your defense high enough to bypass it, the maximum mitigation possible is still only 75%. The only thing they've added which changes this is the Fortified Blocking mod in Home Turf which raises your mitigation to 80%.

The increase to ice shielding helps but it is not the godsend that fixes ice and brings it in line with the other two tanks. The mechanic they mitigate damage through is flawed and needs to be fixed, because as content gets harder the gap between ice and the other two is going to grow larger.

It's not something a skilled ice tank can't overcome because no content in this game is quite that hard yet, but at least on the PC side when Black Dawn and Vengeance were instanced, and the new bounties were available, Ice tanks were dropping like flies the first week or two until they learned they actually have to block.
    • Like x 1
  17. Thebluegoose New Player

I think being successful as a tank really boils down to learning 2 things:

A. How to play the tank role in general.
    B. How to play the tank role for your power set.

I still see to this day many tanks who just do not know how to tank, no matter what the power set and I see many tanks who play expertly on every tank power set. So regardless of the power type, armor pen., damage mitigation, shielding, self healing, damage redirection etc, etc... every tank class can be a great tank if properly utilized. As for which is the best that is up to each player imo. I have been playing an ice tank since the beginning of the game and through all the game mechanic and content changes I have to tell you that I have never had an issue with staying alive and keeping aggro. I love ice and have tried fire and earth and do not like them so for me Ice is the best. However for others it may be earth or fire. At the end of the day if you can hold aggro, not tax your healers to death, and stay alive then you are doing your job. All this BS about which is better, easier, has the biggest ******, etc... is just that, BS.
  18. kilkulan New Player

Iin terms of tanks ice/earth are the best. Fire is more of a mix of dps/tank, and specialize in self heals( imo healing is a healers job).

id say ice/earth are even with ice beibg a little stronger with ice being stronger with aoe tanking and earth being stronger with single target tanking
  19. PKMN12 New Player

At this point, i do not think many of these people can understand this, their minds are too focused on their own views
    • Like x 1
  20. Ultimate Alpha Well-Known Player

You all just got served!