Best Tank Power

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by TurquoiseShadow, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Ultimate Alpha Well-Known Player

Case closed.

If I had a dollar for every time my Fire Tank pwned an ice tank in a one-on-one duel, I'd be a rich man. One vs one, if your self-heals and might are maxed (120+ SP) you will eat them alive every time (assuming similar gear and skill). As a Fire Tank, you are forced to learn every aspect of Tanking: aggro holds; mob movement; juggling; healing/survivability, AND....blocking!!
    • Like x 1
  2. BomombRook New Player

No matter if they raise the def cap, your damage mitigation will always be 75% only. So even if your def increase your still gonna take 25 percent of the damage. I don't know why you two are making a big deal out of this....
  3. BomombRook New Player

I have played all tank powers but my fav is fire really. sure it has no shield(except iconic one) but it's still good with it's health increase and the heal buff. Also since they have a lot of health it can help with random 2k or 3k dmg hits that sometimes happens out of the blue. But that's my opinion, just find the one you enjoy a lot and the one you like, is the best tank power for you.
  4. recespieces31 New Player

I am not making a big deal, I was simply stating how armor penetration works now...myself and Mia were having a civil conversation amongst ourselves and that's all...it got turned into a big deal by others
  5. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

The best tank power is love.
  6. Stitch Well-Known Player

Too much love will kill you in the end.
  7. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

That's why ever good tank (needs an even better healer) behind them.
  8. recespieces31 New Player

Hoo-rah!

P.S. Glad you are back Meta, I have missed you so! ;)
  9. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

Thanks! Nice to be back.
  10. Foxe Well-Known Player

Having played all 3, ice is most forgiving but I hate it. Good for learning how to tank but boring. Fire is great fun, healing, crowd controlling and a more immersive play style but much less forgiving to learn. Would recommend leveling with fire.

Earth I'm enjoying, harder than ice and fire but a total beast at staying alive. Brick can be a total life saver as well by taking aggro away and has stopped me wiping many times.

No 'best', there are easier power but all can tank any content in the game.
  11. Willydon305 Well-Known Player

Ice is definetly the easiest, but fire tanking (IMO) is the best because of the self heals...Wonder woman's lasso has been buffed, so team that up with backdraft and you have a formidable aggro combination there.
  12. Dee Pius New Player

There's a similar thread in this very section not even half a week old called: Fire vs Ice vs Earth. In that thread I rated all three and talked a bit about each one, as an experienced Tank of all 3 power sets, this is how I ranked them in End-Game PvE content:

Earth: 9.5
    Fire: 9
    Ice:8.5

Close, probably even closer than the scores indicate, but I have to give the edge to Earth over Fire for sheer enjoyment factor, ability to dual spec, Tanking potential, and ability to have a Pet & put out damage/CC without sacrificing toughness/self-healing.

Besides that, Earth looks the coolest, and is probably the rarest.
  13. chaoticreign New Player

Let's look at some numbers from test. This is with gear and mods from test venders so like CR83, not high end but not bad. I used a respec token so exact same gear etc all with a power activated.

Fire
    health 8567
    def. 3545 (49.9% mitigation) & (3545 x.6 = 2127 /71 = 29.95 mitigation with 40% ignore)
    Dom 658 + 752 rest

Earth
    health 4388 =
    def. 4203 (59.2% mitigation) & (37.08 mitigation with 40% ignore)
    Dom 658 + 752 rest

Ice
    health 4388
    def. 6735 (94.86% mitigation) & (56.92 mitigatin with 40% ignore)
    Dom 658 + 752 rest

So let's look at the 75% cap and say we are t4 content ignoring 40% defense...
    1. Fire = 8567hp & 29.95 mitigation = 8567/.7005 = 12,230 effective HP
    2. Earth = 4388hp & 37.08 mitigation & 50% absorb = (4388/.6292)/.5 = 13,948 effective HP
    3. Ice = 4388hp & 56.92 mitigation = 4388/.4308 = 10,185 effecive HP

Now here is looks like earth > fire > ice. However, this does not account for blocking, heals or shields etc. Where with those in play they become equalized as ice shields > fire heals > earth shield & fire block > earth block > ice block

They are very equal, just play different and each has a strength and weakness.
  14. Matthew1237 New Player

Thats really not what hes asking though, lol I only say this because these sorts of responses are kind of maddening. It's like saying hey, if you like knives and the other guy likes guns, then you can bring a knife to a gun fight and it will be balanced cause you like knives.
  15. BRUDHAWALT New Player

blah blah blah blah,,,, i never once went down with ice with this new content, i solo the solos just fine,
    Kristyana's guidepost is a whole lot-a- what if's, what if they don't rais this and what if they dont raise that

example..... what if they blah blah blah blah blah THEN ICE WILL BE LEFT BEHIND blah blah blah blah blah defence cap! blah blah blah blah ice will suck! blah blah blah blah blah

ICE IS FINE! IT WILL NOT BE LEFT BEHIND! WITH NEW CONTENT AND GEAR THE DAMAGE MITAGATION OR DEFENCE CAP WILL BE RAISE IDC HOW MANY NUMBERS YOU THROW OUT HERE THERE HAS NOT BEEN ONE SINGLE POST FROM THE DEV'S ABOUT THIS " DO YOU KNOW WHY"? BECAUSE THEY DEEM IT UNWORTHY! THEY ALWAYS INCRESS YOUR _________
    ' YOU FILL IN THE BLANK " FOR EVERY SINGLE POWER TYPE....... BE IT RESTO, VIT , DEFENCE. AND THEY EITHER DO IT VIA A HOTFIX OR GEAR OR A LITTLE MAGIC LEPRECHAUN!
  16. Matthew1237 New Player

lol this guy is ******...funny though.
  17. BRUDHAWALT New Player

Im just sick of people saying this crap about the defence cap..... its all WHAT IF THIS AND WHAT IF THAT......
    am i crazy? i dont think so! ive been playing for 2 years and ice is just fine its has always been "just fine" and now its great again like it was when i first started playing!.....
    it will not be left behind, and to the people who think it will...... FINE! change your power type! more tanking oppertunites for me.
  18. PKMN12 New Player

-_- this thread is full of trolls, all three tanks are fine, the best one is your favorite.

i think the mods should close this thread at this point

BTW, i think your caps lock was on.
  19. BRUDHAWALT New Player

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLL....... i love you man!

20. Kristyana New Player

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink ...

Ever since update six the maximum mitigation has always been 75 percent. As long as you know how to play to the powersets full potential and can read fights knowing how to block, as long as ice relies on high defense for mitigation it will not be able to take the sheer damage the other two tanks can. I know the reason its not terribly apparent is because the current content doesn't hit hard enough to stress a good team.

Even the buff to the shields is more of a bandaids and doesn't address the main issue of the mechanic ice tanks rely on becoming more flawed. Every ice tank that knows the game mechanics knows this.

At SOE LIVE I brought this up with the developers and they agreed it was a problem that they were going g to look into. Maybe something tat helps negate the armor piercing

As long as ice relies primarily on something with a cap, any of the other three primary stats that increase a tank's survival - Health, Dominance, and Defense - get used by Fire and Earth better than Ice.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have stated since Update 6 that even with armor piercing, the main mechanic behind how an ice tank absorbs damage is flawed and armor piercing only postponed the issue without fixing it.
    • Like x 2