Battle Roles...yay or nay?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by WesPypes3679, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I agree we don't require it. But being able to make adjustments and min max just a little does help. I'm always a supporter of having choices
  2. krytine Loyal Player

I actually understand that i do. But a vast majority of players trying this give those of us that can do it right a bad rep. And by far most cant do it. So i honestly do believe some kind of limit needs to be put or direction mapped out. I had an electric healer that thought in healer role every power healed it doesn't and he wouldn't even take the time to learn a basic loadout gear and specing. So after almost an hour of my time wasted he ended up on my ignore list. So i really get what your saying I really do but i also hope you see my point. The masses need better direction on how to define thier role.role gear should be role gear only dps gear should only be dps now op gear should be for both. And being that i can hit with soders can even be at over 14k might. So for ppl to say they need the option to wear dps gear to do damage i can never agree with
    • Like x 1
  3. Drathmor Unwavering Player

i get what you're saying and I agree new players or people that are unfamiliar with the game or their role shouldn't try to hybrid play as it will only make things more confusing for them and they won't succeed at anything. that should be reserved for experienced players that really understand their power
  4. krytine Loyal Player

The only thing is how do they determine experienced and novice? Some long term players can't to complete roles. And some newer ones can. The only way to help get it under control for a time they do need to lock the gear to each role. This way it also keeps each role more unique. I do believe that high crit damage should be specific to dps crit heal to healers and power crits for trolls damage mitigation to tanks. Each role has its place. As well as hybrid sub class. Each brand needs to be different to each other.
    • Like x 1
  5. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

If you're referring to soul bolt, if it detonated on allies the heal radius is around where it detonated. So yes it heals if blocked by ally. Doesn't registe r damage if blocked though. And wirh 85 in resto 65 in might, it damages around 3k and heals around 5k for me. And completely spammable.

• Like x 1
  6. WesPypes3679 Committed Player

Fire can Battletank. Tried and tested. Anything under latest content raids I can battletank and finish towards the top in damage with no deaths. Fire has shields and heals. I use a couple of dps powers...and the rest are tank powers. As long as I keep alternating shields, use powers that return health and keep the burn going I do not die. I spec some into Dom some into Health and some into Might/Power. I also have my damage crits. I wear 5 pieces of OP gear and a couple of dps. Low contributing pieces to cr like feet hands and shoulders. My weapon is also dps. Those OP pieces make up for defense and health lost with dps gear. Wildfire and backdraft both heal me plus do damage. I use 1H WM into DW Flurry with a hybrid focus to boost my support stats and to get my power back. I am completely self reliant if others in the group get knocked out. I have solo'd many of bosses short of latest content raids. Alerts are no issue what so ever. I may be in the minority with using Fire to Battletank...but I spent alot of time on test making this build formidable. I was a former earth dps/tank for the longest time. This build has been fun to use and I dont miss my old powerset a bit. I keep an armory for full tank. Resto. Dom. And healing crits for when my battketank build isnt cutting it. My 1st objective is to tank...the damage is secondary. I do whatever is needed for the good of the group 1st. Battletanking has brought a new way to play for myself...and it has me on DCUO more than I've been in awhile. I'm currently only at 160sp and gaining more by the day and it has all been do able. I am working towards perfecting this build or something close to it for high end raid content.
  7. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Yes
    • Like x 1
  8. Surtur Well-Known Player

Do one job great or do two jobs mediocre.

Now, with that out of the way.
    If you Q in as a support role your first duty is that and that alone. If you can do your job and pick up some slack then there are no issues but.......... too many times players just outright suck battlewhatevering :confused:............ The biggest culprit use to be Celestial healers trying to so called :confused:battleheal:confused: ( NOW, that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one ). Those battle healers would see their healing out and think they were doing outstanding but they would never look at their healing in. Those knuckleheads were taking as much or:eek: more damage than the tank.:eek:.. Yeah, they thought they were master healers ( They were master failures ) LOL........... they were healing themselves and constantly a power drain on the groups & controller. I've kicked more than my fair share of battlewhatevers because they were absolutely bad selfish players that were more worried about damage than doing their actual role. DO YOUR JOB FIRST & ALWAYS then you will not have any issues if you want to battlewhatever.
    • Like x 1
  9. krytine Loyal Player

Healed is healed is it not. Power and d3buffs are going and tank holds aggro and pulls all adds so you would want those guys to just sit there and do nothing and hold block or would you like to have supports speed things up with a little help
  10. Surtur Well-Known Player

When they are healing themselves while the rest of the team goes down because of not being healed or zero power is not healing it's called a selfish DPS minded goof. Like I said if they can do their job first without issues then there are no issues.

Let's get out on the football field and have you play guard and quarterback at the same time and see how that goes.

Do your damn job first then do battlewhatever...........period.
    • Like x 1
  11. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

Wait....what are battle roles?
  12. WesPypes3679 Committed Player

A "true" battle role is doing damage while fulfulling their duty as a support role (tank, healer, or troll).
    • Like x 1
  13. WesPypes3679 Committed Player

I totally get where you're coming from. There are those who want to contribute damage and cannot fulfill their Duty as a support role. I can see why that would put a bitter taste in your mouth. Not all are like that. But I can see where that is a growing problem because we are still relatively new to Stats revamp and to this option of being able to do damage and support role at the same time. I cannot speak for trolls or healers but as a tank... Tanking is my priority grabbing ads, keeping the attention of a boss, and trying to control the fight by keeping aggro on myself. There are a lot of new people trying this different type of play style. I have seen it first-hand and it can be frustrating. I think with time people either give it up or learn how to do it well, I had the luxury of trying it on test server first starting sometime back in February when the idea came to me to try it on a different Power other than atomic. I had months of testing trials wins and failures to get to where I'm at today OnLive. Not once have I been kicked from an instance nor told that I wasn't doing a good job. By no means is that mean I'm the best at doing it I have found a balance through a lot of practice to fulfill my role and add damage in doing so. Tanking has the best potential as a battle role in my opinion. That does not mean the trolls and Healers cannot be formidable in doing the same I have just now ran into one yet. So I'm with you and I get why people are against it or on the fence about it because of those who plays selfishly and not for the group.
    • Like x 1
  14. Surtur Well-Known Player

Tanks ( mechanized infantry ) are a different issue than medics ( healers ) and battlefield commanders ( controllers ).

edit: This is coming from a person that likes to tank as both turtle and active tank.
    • Like x 1
  15. krytine Loyal Player

The analogy would be more like the tackle or guard pulls out to receive a pass. Or a fumble happens the scoop it and run it in if the offense is failing some then a little help from the defense or special teams is needed to pull out the win.
    But i agree they have to do thier role first
    • Like x 1
  16. Surtur Well-Known Player

LOL, now you're trying to move the goalposts. We are not talking trick plays. We are talking doing two jobs at the same time.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Three really good QB's at doing their job.....not so much at others. Which is fine.
    Great teams have great team players. That is players knowing their job and when to do it.
    That goes for any game.
  17. krytine Loyal Player

Exactly people that know thier posting and continue to look for the next block the next move. It's doing everything that might be needed and not limiting to just 1 thing.
  18. light FX Steadfast Player

Here is my issue with battle support. Not many can do it and if anyone sacrifices heals/pwr/aggro because they are focusing on dmg well the boot is coming out mighty fast. Im not against options for how to play the game but it seems all anyone can think of is damage out when it comes to making something better. And imo thats sad.

A battle support role is simply 1 that attacks. Wearing some dps gear or having a higher prec/might stat in support role is not anything special. Anyone can do this. Executing it is where the issue is for most people. Its comical to me people say "idc about dmg lets remove the scorecard" but then say "i wanna battle support." Either ya care about the dmg or ya dont. Cause if there was no scorecard me attacking with my HB as a troll with a full troll spec would be the same thing as battle support. Because enough dmg isnt being done by support players to speed up runs significantly. 1-2 min difference in completion time is meaningless. Imo when trying to make support more fun or improved upon we should be thinking outside the box instead of the focus always being about dmg.

I also think the power sets should be as close to balanced as possible before the battle support convo even happens. And right now they are not.
    • Like x 2
  19. krytine Loyal Player

You have a point. But something i have been saying is gear should not be switched out you loose your primary stats. Through sp and mods is where someone can increase there damage or survivability. So if you dont have the strongest dps around which not all of them are great but supports can make this up. Now if you want to run the 2s set up you would still have quality damage and increased survivability and plenty of power and debuffs to go around
    • Like x 1
  20. VioletSorceress Committed Player

Not all healer power sets have enough hybrid superpowers and when they do, damage in healer role is way lowered partially by the lower Might stat and role penalty.

I also thing that it is enough that Healers' hybrid superpowers cant clip other superpowers, so using too many of these can cause problems, no need for the damage reduction as well.

Like Ive posted before, Healer power sets' supercharge generators should be all reworked to have Healer role effects to push Healers' effectiveness and damage. Right now only Controllers have reason to use SC generators and only if its the right Debuff type and not an encasement. Tanks' SC generators hardly have a useful tank role effects beside a 10% CC resistance. DPSers using SC generators is a bit questionable choice and needs a very well though and SC centered loadout.