Any signs of REAL improvements?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by LucidityKJ, Jul 31, 2016.

1. SuperNerdGeekOverkill Dedicated Player

why are you quoting my post & writing something completely unrelated to my post there?

Because if PS3 was "the best" 3 years ago doesn't matter today. This has nothing to do with anyone forgetting anything.
    The fact is: The hardware is from 2006.
    Try playing DCUO on a computer from 2006.
    Maybe this time you get the point.
  2. Backseid Devoted Player

I get the overall point. I'm just saying it's funny that less than 3 years ago, the PS3 was the best there was for consoles. Now people keep quoting the release date of the thing as if THAT is when it became outdated.

I meant nothing personal by quoting your post.
  3. ChromeWarriorXTC Loyal Player

:) Just wanted to be the Cerebral Assasin
  4. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

Ok, let me tone down my answers. I'm a Software Engineer with 18 years coding complex systems. What I stated about the complexity of the implementation of migrating to a new Engine I sustain it. It takes years and if they start today, you won't see a result in the next 5 years at least, and that's trading in consideration that all the current developers that are fully busy will be working on this full time.

I apologize for the way I reply to you. You didn't deserve such an aggressive answer. But without the aggressive tone, I stay upon everything the message said.

Am I trying to give you cheap propaganda as a blind customer? No. I'm giving you my professional opinion as an expert in Software Engineering.

Again, sorry for the tone. But still, the migration to a new Engine is unreasonable in terms of Budget and time, unless you propose that it'll create a separate game and the business model will change to something completely different and more profitable that Replay Badges, Legendary and Premium income.
  5. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

and 3 yrs ago PS3 still sucked so. . .

and I know this b/c I played on PS3.
  6. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Okay I was going to do this but Helderman did it for me. :D

to expand a bit

1. Granted the que system has always been kind of sucky. But there really is no way to fix it. These days there are tons of players that LIKE the idea of 3 DPS and one support role (usually prefer a healer but will accept tanks or trolls). Forcing the que to build a 1-1-1-1 will
    a. Increase que times if the que can't locate anyone willing to be the troll that also wants to run THAT particular instance

b. Force players to play ONE way instead of the way they like which couold ultimately lead to

c. Players get disgusted by the change and quit the game

2.. Okay frankly even back in those long gone days when we all had to chose need, greed or I don't want that at all everything boiled down to a roll of the invisible dice. The reward box was a huge improvement because NOW all that gear staring you in the face is unatunned so the days of walking out of a raid with a pile of Tank armor on your DPS/TROLL are gone Next back in those old days you got 1 choice now you get three. Two pieces of gear and a third that could be a recipe, a generator mod or even a piece of furniture for your lair. Now as Helderman said the RNG still applies so there is always the chance neither piece of armor is something you don't already have or already have even better (higher CR) but its still not useless.. Take the stuff to an R+D station and salvage it, take it to a vendor and sell it, take the salvage you got from the R+D station and sell it. Then do the same alert od duo tomorrow and your chances of a better drop improved .. its the way they have the RNG set now. I'm sorry but absolutely nothing that drops is useless... even that scrap salvage mobs sometimes drop can be sold at a vendor . May only get you & dollars but that is still better than NOTHING.

3. Your using PS 3 .. Hate to break it to you but your using an old system and its not going to get any better. Same is true with PC.. when I first started playing here I was on an OLD lap top with a Modem to connect to the internet and yeah I froze and crashed a lot. I have a much newer PC and a hard cable internet connection now . Still get some problems occasionally but no where near what I used to. I cant say how PS 4 or Xbox are doing but they are both newer systems so i'd imagine better then you get.
  7. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

LOL, I don't even know if I should believe what you're saying about your supposed profession. Because anybody could say that just to one up somebody in an online debate, like that's the end all say all. I can appreciate your apology, but there's no need to explain yourself in such a way. I'm not concerned about what you do for a living. I'm not a blind customer for one. I cut off my subscription months ago and won't give them another dime for the rest of the year because I'm tired of the ongoing negligence behind the development of this game. And everything you're trying to point out, I've already comprehended. I acknowledged that it's a process to make this happen in my other message. You're treating my response as if I implied they should drop the PS3 cold turkey. Again, regardless of how you say it, you can't ignore the fact that the PS3 is a big factor for the limitations we're experiencing. Even if a new engine isn't ready, it has to happen eventually to put real focus into improving this game as a whole. The sooner enough PS3 players upgrade to a PS4, the better, because it's necessary in this process we're talking about.
  8. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

But it doesn't matter what specs you have on your ten year old computer, it's still not going to run DCUO well. the same argument applies. the game has outlived some of the technology that it started on. It's not the first time, it won't be the last time.

Try running today's version of WoW on the computer you played it on when it originally came out.
  9. oasenhoheit Loyal Player

GW? You mean Sons of Trigon Episode? Those items are Mission-rewards though, no drop-items. The Drops in the Duos and alert are all still attuned and role-specific.

Same as the Home Turf Items for the bounties and inside-Missions, which can be attuned.

But true, in the T4-duos, which were added later, we now have "officially" the lowest dropping unattuned gear (not weapons, they can drop unattuned in some T2-alerts, too). :)
  10. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

Little correction:
    - Trigon Prison drops are tuned along the fights but last Boss fight drop a weapon that has been unattuned from day one. Is not a weapon box but still the weapon was in attuned.
  11. oasenhoheit Loyal Player

True. I should have been more precise then:
    Gear like in armor and accessories, so basically all except for weapons then, because unattuned weapons also dropped right from the start in T4-content (PBG, T4 8-man-OPs), so the weapons in So'T were not the first unattuned weapons introduced.
  12. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

It's nice that we are now talking and not continue trying to tear each other apart since that was taking us both to nowhere.

A few things I'll like to highlight:
    1) The "Holding us back" argument that has been used here in the forums a lot: This is how I saw what is holding us back. 20% is the PS3 and the minimum requirements for PC (this will require to drop the support for the PS3 and increase the requirements for the PC players). 40% is the Engine (We can't do much about this since no matter how much we look at it, the answer is build something new, probably a DCUO2). 40% is the non-used resources that the Developers are releasing little by little to have something in order to be able to keep releasing new content (if they used all of it, they won't be able to release new content because it will maxed out the resource available).

2) Besides that 100% of what is really "Holding us back", there's a TON of wasted resources in DCUO. And when I say a TON is a big TON:
    A) Every time your character paper doll loads in the Inventory or Styles menu it loads Batman first and then loads your toon. What is Batman paper doll doing there? Apparently it was a template, but it's consuming a lot of memory since it loads it's graphics, textures, etc, before changing it's appearance to your character. I discovered that thing glitching the interface during a client application memory overload.
    B) There's bunch of unused textures loaded in the memory that the player never see or use. Inside the Brainiac Bottles in South Gotham all the buildings have a fully texture and some of them even on the inside of the buildings. In order to not consume much resources the developers didn't finish the model making it solid and put a bottle on that thing. If you glitch it inside a bottle in south gotham, you'll see a bunch of great resources (graphics) wasted there.
    C) There's a bunch of unused A.I. and environmental sounds that can be trimmed down to free resources. There's a bunch of civilian A.I.s running around Metropolis and Gotham in areas where the players don't have content and that uses a lot of memory.
    D) There are full areas in the maps that consume resources unnecessarily. Mogo for instance take more memory than the Batcave. And the Watchtower looks awesome from the outside, but one is suppose to be looking at that textures unless you are glitching the instance.
    E) The UI have a lot of wasted memory of things that load up in the client memory that is never used and/or can be removed and changed to something that uses less resources. The leaked UI that was on development and was put on hold will have required to rebuild a lot of thing in the game since there's a bunch of thing that are dependant on the current UI definition, but still if those things were to be changed the final result will be of a more fluent UI that uses less memory resources and more functionality (and less glitches).
    F) There's a ton of developed and unused powers that never made to the power trees, animations, and the such that is still there in the code.
    G) There are still a lot of features programmed incomplete and disabled but still taking memory. Since you are from the early days, you might remember that there was a bunch of mechanics involving grabbing and throwing objects. That is something that players currently don't use in combat effectively and is not required in our current DCUO. Still that and many other things are developed and can be trimmed down.
    H) There's a bunch of unused things happening outside of the maps that are actively consuming memory and the player don't see or even care. Let's take the AF1 Duos for example, there are a bunch of NPCs combat going on outside of the walls where the player can't get (unless glitching the instance) and those NPCs are consuming memory. If you take them out and just put some noises in the background the player will hear that there's a combat going on nearby but it's not consuming the textures, A.I. Combat fights, etc.
    I) All the resources that loads for Hero's also load for Villains and vice versa but the features are disabled to the user. Also, all the content and features from all the mentors is also loaded in the users client. Meaning that if your mentor is Batman, your client application loads all the content for Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Joker, Luthor and Circe, but you are just using 1/6 of that content (without considering the gray areas were some share content) and the rest is disabled (is still using memory).
    J) PvP: Oh wow, this is huge. The amount of things that can be done in PvP and are just plain dead code in the application is frustrating. You can make a hole new game based on PvP only, or you can split the game in 2 client applications PvE and PvP and still have enough code in both sides. Still, PvP is treated in DCUO like a snack that took the chef the same time to make as the main course, also almost half of the fridge in the kitchen is PvP but players only can take the candies from the first shelve.
    K) There's a bunch of code and features programmed in the UI for PC that is impossible to use in the PS players due to the lack of a cursor. There are clickable areas in the interface that the PS can't use and is programmed there.

Along with many other bunch of things I didn't highlight and things that I haven't discovered.

Number 2, is a bigger problem than number 1. There are more wasted resources in what I mention in number 2 that the resources that we are not using in number 1 or the things that are holding us back.

The big frustrating part, is that if they fix the things that are stated in number 2, it will make a more response game, better quality, have a better experience for all platforms and maybe we will not have this conversation and have more powers, weapons and content in the game.

My 2 cents.

PD. I'm not lying about my profession, It's what I do for living, and is also fun to do. I like coding :) specially in C++ and C#.
    • Like x 1
  13. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

But the T4 gear that was unattuned back in the days were the ones you crafted from the Hand of Fate DLC, because the drops you got in the instances were attuned originally.

Edit: Correcting myself. Battle for the Earth Raid dropped an Unattuned rare weapon.
  14. Menelaos Dedicated Player

Lost me at PS3...

The game is not at its full potential because almost 3 years later (PS4 launched November 2013), they still have to cater to PS3 users.

I don't know your financial circumstances, but if $12 per month for the past circa 3 years is not doable, then perhaps gaming shouldn't be a priority for you.

Regards,
    M
  15. seek76 Committed Player

I'm sorry, didn't know you were just talking about dropped items. GW - Gotham Wastelands- Sons of Trigon. Never had a weapon drop for me in tier 2. Had tier 1 weapon until central city opened up lol.
  16. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

That's quite the list there and I've noticed quite a few of those myself. Yet, the way you mapped things out, it sounds as if they may as well give us an entirely new game. Which, I wouldn't mind, but we're at a point where everyone's patience is running more thin by the second. If they were to apply all the changes needed based upon what you highlighted, how long do you think it would take them to accomplish such?
  17. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

Some of those things like trimming textures shouldn't take long.

Mogo for insurance could be improved in a hotfix. Do you remember when they revamped the textures of the WatchTower? Well it should take around that time in development in some instances, since it's trimming textures and not adding new things.

In other instances it'll take more since they'll need to create some textures to substitute and simplify.

About the A.I.s, if the were developed as object classes in the code, it will be commenting those lines of code and testing. Debugging a lot of lines of code can be tedious, but could be published in progress by areas.

Changing the UI for a new one could take a lot, but with some extra programmers, shouldn't be impossible. Take some time from those that are still in DBG and worked at DCUO but currently are in H1Z1, Everquest, Planetside2, etc. for a short time (nothing permanent), do the UI and send them back to their current projects. Those developers know the code, they have been expose to other implementations like Planetside2 that revamped the UI recently a couple of times.

PvP also will take a lot. There's a Ton of code there and trying to fix it could broke it if done incomplete or in a hurry.

Most of those things can be a constant releases of hotfixes that will optimize the game. Some things takes weeks and the players will see the difference instantly, others takes months, but while they free resources step by step the players will have a better experience and they'll have plenty to create new content. They could even release another open world map around the size of GW without having the performance of Mogo.

I use Mogo a lot in my arguments because it wasn't designed to be an open area for many players and put a vendor. It was designed for an alert/raid amount of simultaneous players. On the other hand Gotham Wastelands is bigger than New Genesis and it behaves better.

If you ask me, I'll say to start trimming textures and A.I.s, that can bring at least a monthly hotfix with a little bit here and a little there. At the end of the year, they'll free a lot of memory.
  18. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

The reason PS3 struggles is its lack of RAM... Try playing the game on a PC with 512mb of RAM.
  19. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

Well, let's just hope during this 5-6 month content drought, the time is utilized to tackle such things. I often feel like there just isn't a lot that they're telling us. Not for the sake of secrecy with upcoming content and updates, but more so in regards to covering up their nonsense with this game's overall development. It's a big reason why I've grown so tired. All I want is for this game to feel truly alive again and I know that's something they can't accomplish overnight. Yet, I've been around since Feb 2011 and I feel something just has to happen now. So, I'm hoping whatever they do over these next several months gives DCUO real hope for the future.
    • Like x 1
  20. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

The most interesting post ever lol.
    • Like x 1