Anime List

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Mini Lini, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Batman Beyond Well-Known Player

I see your number 1 is Hunter X Hunter so an anime I'd recommend is Yu Yu Hakusho. Its similar very much to it as they are both by the same creator. The characters of Yu Yu Hakusho make a cameo appearance in it. Also many new animes like Bleach for example have ripped off it. Its also an old Toonami and Adult Swim classic lol.
    • Like x 1
  2. Death Throe New Player

They are alphabetically listed but I do love Hunter X Hunter. It's fun and smart which is rare for most anime. I will check out your recommendation or at least add to the "to watch" list.
  3. Mini Lini Loyal Player

Wow... You are very organized. I like how you work. Haha.
  4. Death Throe New Player

I discovered subbing fan groups around the same time I got into torrent downloading. I was working for the cable company so had a very fast connection. I downloaded so much stuff I was starting to forget what I had already watched. Then I found myanimelist.net and started to organize what I had watched and what I wanted to watch. I used their search feature to find stuff I had not seen and that is how the list grew. I now mostly just check out what HorribleSubs is releasing for new anime but I do come back to the list every so often and update it so I don't end up downloading something I have already watched.
  5. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

Watch Paranoia Agent.
    • Like x 1
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Aww, man! I gotta list them again?! :confused:

I'm sticking to the stuff in my DVD collection, there's no way I can remember all the stuff I've watched over the years on Toonami/Adult Swim. That and I don't feel like digging out old VHS tapes to get title names. LOL
    • Tenchi Muyo- the original OVA series, Tenchi Universe, the three movies based off of Universe and Ryo-Ohki, which continued the story from the OVA.
    • Vampire Hunter D- The original and Bloodlust films. Gorgeous artwork in Bloodlust.
    • Akira- Isn't that one pretty much required viewing for anime fans?
    • Ghost In The Shell- only the movie, though. I liked the series but couldn't bring myself to buy it.
    • Excel Saga- "odd" barely scratches the surface of describing that series, kinda like...
    • FLCL- again, an odd one, but fun to watch and the music rocks.
    • Miyazaki films: Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke- No matter what I'm doing, if I put in one of those films I just get drawn in. Wonderful stuff.
    • Outlanders- a find from when I first started getting into anime. My only complaint about the re-release was that they changed my favorite line from the original release when they re-dubbed it. :mad:
    • Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure- Mix a little Tenchi Muyo with giant robots and you've got the idea. Actually a LOT of Tenchi, same creator if I remember right.
    • Rosario+Vampire- A fun take on the whole harem comedy genre, once you get past the fan service (something you have to do quite a bit in harem comedy series, it seems LOL). I will say this, I was NOT prepared for the opening theme song in the second series. o_O
    • Sekirei- First and second seasons. Again, harem comedy (I blame Tenchi for that lol) with plenty of fan service mixed with some fighting action as well.
    • Is This A Zombie?- Another one that can fall into the same category as Tenchi, Dual!, Sekirei and Rosario+Vampire. Odd stuff at times, and yet another song (closing this time) that I wasn't prepared for.
    • Freezing- Fighting action, fan service, a touch of the harem genre (not a lot) and a helping of Evangelion is the best way I'd describe that one.
    • Fate Stay/Night- Still working my way through that series, not sure how I'd describe it yet. But I'm not regretting the purchase, so it has that going for it.
    And as others have said, props to Death Throe on the organization of the anime list. Puts me to shame in how I keep track of stuff. :)
    • Like x 1
  7. Mini Lini Loyal Player

Rosario + Vampire! +1 to you willflynne. Loved that anime.
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That one was recommended by a co-worker and pretty much revived my interest in anime. I think what I liked in that series is that they took the harem dynamic and progressed it a bit. But even with all the fan service and odd humor, there's a lot of heart in that series. The feelings the women in that series have don't seem as forced or arbitrary as in other series. It just seemed a lot more genuine than what I'd seen before.
  9. Mini Lini Loyal Player

Ya, I usually don't like extreme harem anime, but that once was great. Made me really like all the characters.
  10. Naija born Well-Known Player

just to add to the already large list
    magi: labyrinth of magic
    • Like x 1
  11. Photocyn New Player

These are some of the ones I own.

Perfect Blue
    Vampire Hunter D
    Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
    Spriggan
    SteamBoy
    Afro Samurai
    Afro Samurai Resurrection
    Akira
    Ninja Scroll
    Samurai X
    X
    • Like x 1
  12. Tobruk New Player

I own over 1000 Anime DVDs, this does not include my VHS collection, so my list would be rather long. I guess my top 10 would be, in no special order -

Cowboy Bebop
    Last Exile
    Eden of the East
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Tenchi Muyo
    El-Hazard
    Summer Wars
    Spriggan
    AKIRA
    Infinite Ryvius
    • Like x 1
  13. ObsidianChillSucks New Player

bleh haven't seen the best ones on here yet :(

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
    Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
    Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
    • Like x 2
  14. Mini Lini Loyal Player

Some people don't like Gundam.. I actually liked the SEED ones though.
  15. Statman New Player

I've only recently gotten into anime more, so my brother has been introducing me to some of his favourite ones... and I was absolutely blown away by Eden of the East! I didn't know what to expect with it only being 11 eps and 2 movies, but it was simply amazing, I watched it all in a single day I was that captured by it, lol.

Apart from the above, I also love Dragonball/Z (g t f o GT!), Naturo/Shippuden, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood, Deathnote and I have some Bleach to watch still. For sentimental reasons, I also love Beyblade, Zoids and Yugi-Oh too :D
    • Like x 1
  16. Tobruk New Player

Yeah that was one of the great things about Eden of the East. Unlike how alot of anime series that have movies that either just retell the series or are a seperate story unto the series, these movies actually continued and ended the series.
    • Like x 1
  17. Brit Loyal Player

I'm an old school Robotech/Macross fan. And the non-western Sailor Moon, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Ronin Warriors.

Of the newer stuff, Magical Girl Madoka and High School of the Dead are the only ones that have really caught my interest.
    • Like x 1
  18. KnightxWalker New Player

I have seen most that were already mentioned like SAO, Death Note, Deadman Wonderland. Currently watching One Piece and Fairy Tail.

I'm listing others that I like that haven't already been mentioned.

Highschool DxD
    Black Rock Shooter
    ToraDora
    Panty and Stocking With GarterBelt
    K-ON
    Steins;Gate
    Gurren Lagaan
    Ga-Rei-Zero
    Angel Beats
    • Like x 1
  19. Rabidbunny New Player

I've watched a ton of anime over the years but... a short list..

Sailor Moon
    Tenchi In Tokyo
    X-Men
    Boogiepop Phantoms
    Serial Experiments: Lain
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Trigun
    Vampire Hunter: D
    Ninja Scroll
    Perfect Blue
    Ouran Koukou Host Club
    Lucky Star
    Chobits
    Princess Mononoke
    Azumanga Daioh
    • Like x 1
  20. Physique Dedicated Player

LOL. I won't even begin to tell you how many hard drives full of anime I have... That said, my anime-watching goes back to being a kid on a military base in Japan (way back in the 1970's)... Just off the top of my head, things I think people should take the time to watch if they haven't already:

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
    Megazone 23 (Parts I & II)
    Macross: Do You Remember Love
    Wings of Honneamise: Royal Space Army
    Dirty Pair: Project Eden
    Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer
    Project A-Ko
    Gundam: Char's Counterattack
    Be Forever Yamato
    Otaku No Video

Those are all films which changed the standard by which anime films are done and directed by a lot of the guys who are either still working today or inspired the people making stuff today. A lot of these films are ancient by today's standards and, by no means, are the only ones I would recommend however for writing, pacing, animation, story, and execution, these are some of the best that haven't already been mentioned.

Bubblegum Crisis
    Record of Lodoss War
    Fight!! Iczer One
    Moldiver
    El Hazard
    Shinesman
    Combustible Campus Guardress
    Giant Robo
    Gall Force

These are all OAV's of variable length with BGC, Lodoss, Gall Force, and Iczer all coming in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Moldiver is a great riff on superheroes as is Shinesman but, sadly, a lot of things on this list are now hard to find (their heyday was on video tape and many of their publishers have folded). The funny thing is that a lot of the animation on this list along with many of those listed by you guys have been produced or inspired by AIC, Artmic, or Youmex. Also, there are a number of things produced by Production I.G., Gainax, Xebex, Gonzo, and J.C. Staff which are all very, very good.

Of the shows I've watched (or re-watched) currently:

Major
    To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
    To Aru Majitsu no Index
    Space Battleship Yamato 2199
    Rideback
    GIRLS und Panzer
    Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride

Of those, Railgun (S-series) and Hyakka Ryouran (Samurai Bride) just re-started new seasons on Japanese television. Both look to be very interesting. GIRLS und Panzer just finished eps 11 & 12 to close out their story arc (which did not finish on Japanese television but, rather on direct release video).

There just so much stuff out there to watch that narrowing down to a simple list of one or two is difficult. Also, I've found that the more you watch, the harder it is to pare your lists down to something manageable. I tried to keep it simple with films at the top -- most of those you can find pretty easily still whereas the older OAV's and series may be lost to time. My most recently watched stuff, you can find pretty easily with Railgun, Index, and Rideback being commercially available through Funimation...

Have fun!
    • Like x 1