A Precision and Might Comparison

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Remander, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Radium Devoted Player

I can see a definate shift in Might modding when this drops live. The traditional weapon/ power clip will indeed be faster and Might damage will be exceding Prec damage in many cases.
    • Like x 3
  2. Remander Steadfast Player

DM, nice catch. If you use my version of the might scaling formula:

adj dmg = [1 + (0.0045 * might)] * base dmg

Split the damage into 2 equal ticks:

adj dmg = {[1 + (0.0045 * might)] * base dmg/2} + {[1 + (0.0045 * might)] * base dmg/2}
    = 2 * {[1 + (0.0045 * might)] * base dmg/2}
    = [1 + (0.0045 * might)] * base dmg

You can see more easily that whether you split the base damage or not, the slope of the function remains unchanged. The portion of the equation in [ ] is essentially a constant. The only variable is the base. An aggregate of DoT base damage ticks that equals a single burst base damage tick will have the same total damage, regardless of might.
    • Like x 1
  3. The Hornet New Player

Rem, I'd also add that most of the "precision" powers have melee capabilities that most of the "might" powers lack. As a rule of thumb, melee dps out-performs ranged dps. But not all powers have melee capabilities. Rage, Celestial and Light do, though.
    • Like x 1
  4. Remander Steadfast Player

Good point. Rage Berserk, Bloodlust, followed by Outrage spam = everything dies. ;)
    • Like x 1
  5. The Hornet New Player

Bingo, or even claw-ram-whip/ram-whip. Or for celestial I think it's blight cAdmonish (never meleed in a raid with cele, can't recall). Making matters worse, with armories I can carry a melee spec with melee moves and precision-precision gear, and then swap into a range spec with range powers/weapon and might-precision gear. For the most part, the "might" powers just don't have the same utility. To be honest, and I know it's a hot-button issue Rem, and I don't mean to derail this great thread, but I think the lack of worthwhile melee options among many of the powers is the most significant balance disparity in the game.
    • Like x 1
  6. Remander Steadfast Player

Not going to argue with you there. As for derailing the thread, because of the new information brought to the discussion by Sore and Shiny, this has become more of a generalized sounding board for the whole precision vs might issue. If there's anything you feel is worth contributing, please chime in. ;)
    • Like x 1
  7. Sore Steadfast Player

There might be more to that than just being tuned for melee range. Even without additional buffs, Outrage with the PI is frightening for what it can do to a mob of NPCs.
    • Like x 1
  8. Remander Steadfast Player

No doubt. Berserk, as pointed out by DM, is also quite ridiculous, if the adds are there.
    • Like x 1
  9. Aspar Agus Well-Known Player

I don't think that's what Sore was saying.

Take 2 hypothetical powers that do 100 and 200 damage respectively.

Now give yourself 4000 might so that each power does 10x the base damage.

The first power increased 1000-100 damage for a increase of 9 damage per 40 might, ie the slope .

The second power increased 2000-200 damage for a increase of 18 damage per 40 might.

The second power still does exactly twice what the first power, but its slope is higher to maintain that 2:1 damage ratio between the powers.
    • Like x 1
  10. Remander Steadfast Player

I think DM (and later me) were actually getting at the part of Sore's post where he mentioned that burst abilities benefit more from might than DoT abilities, because of their higher base damage. Well, if you have a burst ability with a certain base damage and a DoT with the same aggregate base damage, their damage actually scales the same with might. If the base damages differ, then, yeah, the scaling will be different.
    • Like x 1
  11. AlphaOmegaWolf New Player

now i dont understand most of what this thread is saying except that, what everyone's point in this thread sounds like is that using weapon combos (i.e. precision) overall is going to do more damage at the end of the run then using powers (i.e, might). i honestly don't know if i really believe this because i use both a rage dps toon and a fire tank/dps toon and when i use my powers rather then my weps (except when i need to regain power when i run out if there is no troll), i have noticed enimies die quicker when i use my powers versus using my wep combos. now i could be misinterpurting this entire thread and i am sorry for waisting everyones time who has read my but, thats just how i have expierenced the game thus far even though ive only played for about 2 months.
  12. Aspar Agus Well-Known Player

Yes, assuming the target dying doesn't preempt their full application which as any DoT based dps knows is always the problem with DoT vs burst damage.
    • Like x 1
  13. Burnt New Player

Wow, you guys are impressive with all these numbers. I feel like I'm watching Sheldon work something out on his whiteboard :D
    +1 for trying to educate and all the work that went into this post.
    • Like x 1
  14. Black Jaq Devoted Player

15. JuanDvdP New Player

so might > precision in PvE
    and precision > might in PvP?
  16. The Hornet New Player

Nothing really, other than to say I agree with what I think was an underlying premise to the thread, that the whole "precision powersets do more damage because might doesn't scale as well as precision, buff might" refrain is probably wrong, fails to account for a range of factors, and ignores the fact that just putting more might into the gear will still increase the capabilities of the so-called precision powers - at least until the jump cancel nerf wrecks hard light's ranged damage profile.
    • Like x 1
  17. TrueOlympus New Player

I think they need to un-buff the power cost to T5 armor. All might based powers suffer for it. And so do the trolls who actually wanna play there role. They keep talking about toxic game mechanics. That was toxic to the controller class. period.
    • Like x 2
  18. Remander Steadfast Player

Not as simple as that, though I would say precision plays a greater role in PvP overall. That's because trollers aren't capable of giving as much power in PvP, if you have a troller on your team to begin with. Spam ability casts in PvP, and you're dead meat.
  19. Remander Steadfast Player

FYI, folks, this weekend I'm going to work on revising the OP based on the information provided by Sore and Shiny. This will include corrections as well as clarity improvements that should make it easier to understand, so the conversation can continue. I'll post a notification when the revision is up.
  20. Remander Steadfast Player

Original post has been updated with more information!
    • Like x 1