A Precision and Might Comparison

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Remander, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Remander Steadfast Player

Ah, I gotcha. I totally agree about the new WM innates and the equal might/prec values. Doesn't make much sense to me either, because even though they could be 1:1 in some instances or even favor might, for the most part precision scaling of damage values seems to be greater, which is due to this unknown slope value in the prec equation. Honestly, I don't have a problem with it, because I think their intention with all these balance changes and the addition of WM is to improve efficiency in order to expand the controller role. I guess the real take home message of this analysis is that you, as a player, should understand the might/prec balance of your powerset, loadout, and rotation. That will help you choose the best approach to modding. Now, I've never been a fan of full might builds, but do you go balanced, might lean, prec lean, or full prec?
  2. Ice Lantern New Player

yup
  3. Anhur Committed Player

Cheers for your insight, Remander!

I personally enjoy Quantum, followed by Mental, and the reliance on powers rather than weapons the most, and so pre-WM I went full Might because speed of powers and clipping allowed that to be a viable option, that was great for me and I enjoyed it - post-WM though I'm going to Mental (due to the DoTs available) and more or less balanced Precision and Might (leaning towards Precision slightly more).
  4. Remander Steadfast Player

That's what I'm thinking for my Mental toon. Can runs DoTs in the background with WM enhancement of burst. Damage ratio will favor precision with any significant use of WM combos--even the shorter ones--so, I think at least a precision lean will be the best approach. For those that want to use the longer combos, full precision might be better. When WM drops, I'm going to spend more time DPSing on Moe and Tanker, for sure. Already been trying different loadouts. ;)
  5. Arachninja Active Player

Actually, so far in my testing Quantam is totally different with WM b/c the burst damage from both Singularity and/or Grav Bomb/Inspiral Waves (so long as PI is up) is huge. I'm seeing 3K+ . . .

WM helps a lot with that burst. . .and power usage, but powers with very few DoTs are still at a disadvantage b/c they just can't dish things out quick enough.

even without WM, mental beats quantam just cause it has more dots, although it depends on the situation (boss fight vs mobs) where Mental has less going for it in terms of AoE (same for Gadgets).

On my toons I go Might Gear, + mostly Might+Prec mods with Might in the combo ones.
    Even with WM, going full Might still seems to make NO SENSE unless the power you are using has a significant number of viable DoTs.
    Mods are tilted towards Prec. I still don't understand why I single Might mod (exp V) is +50 and Prec is +51. That makes no sense. . .

Looking at it from the Quantam perspective, Singularity, Grav Bomb, and Inspiral Waves all have the same basic base damage, (25-35).
    The only difference between them is how they react to PI, dps modifiers, power , and the 3rd/4th tiers have a bit higher possible top end.
    (yes singularity has a small 3 tick dot which actually makes it the most efficient).

Given that. . .+50 might is a 22.5% increase in base damage == a + 5.625-7.875 dmg increase for those powers. Yet +51 prec is + 5.1 dmg guranteed with no power cost.

If you're talking about DoTs (especially ones with 5+ ticks) then Might is worth it (hence mental), but if you're talking about Quantam, you really should spec in combo b/c the math makes it not worth it especially when you consider the power. WM takes the power a bit out of the equation, and raises the bar on the burst. . .but it still seems to me that might mods need to have a higher bonus (like +65-75 vs 50).

Don't get me wrong, WM helps those powers with fewer DoTs a lot. . . but I still say Prec / Prec based powers will win most of the time b/c they get WM too. . .
  6. Arachninja Active Player

I'm curious Anhur. . . do you really get more dmg from Quantam via full Might vs Might / Prec?
  7. Anhur Committed Player

Pre-WM it is/was Might & Health in Blue, Might & Power in Yellow and Might only in Red - I am fortunate enough to play with some great Controllers who can enable my power burning habit, and power execution is/was fast enough, so I essentially just rotated AKA spammed Singularity, Warp Barrage, Warp Barrage, Singularity, Warp Barrage, Warp Barrage over and over (while applying PI and 60% modifier in between), and Rifle Grenade spam - I am/was using powers so much that Precision would detract from what I could yield - this is not to say that my way is the correct or best way, more Precision might be better, though I have never seen anything different and never tried it TBH, but this is what matched my preference.

You are correct, but the issue for me is why do I need to bother with pausing doing weapon attacks for an instant hit power when I am meleeing with WM and achieving 3K as an average anyway, this is why power sets like Quantum are suffering, as you are correctly pointed out, power sets with a plethora of DoTs are going to out perform the power sets who do not - rather than weapon damage followed by power damage, it should be power damage in conjunction with weapon damage (AKA DoTs).

I've switched to Mental on Test (as I plan to on Live) to give it a go with WM and the results are amazing - I've modded Precision across the board (sitting on 3914 Might and 2203 Precision) and DoTs are fantastic - look at this;

[IMG]

Now this is just one DoT, Mass Terror, on one target, resulting in 3021 damage - imagine this ticking alongside 3 other DoTs and weapon damage will be a boss melter.

Sorry to detract the thread folks :oops:!
    • Like x 1
  8. Arachninja Active Player

Yeah that's what I would expect. . .(hence why I was surprised that you go all Might in Quantam). . . and yeah that's what I've been worried about. Even with WM, and it not effecting crits on DoTs, Might based powers with DoTs such as Mental, and Nature (and to some degree Gadgets), will have a field day since the power cost gets reduced, and some DoTs (such as Mass Terror which is sort of a psuedo-dot) will also enjoy high crits.
  9. Arachninja Active Player

I just don't see the advantage of going full Might unless you can stack dots like that b/c you only can gain +60 might in total (over Might & prec).
  10. DCMERCENARY New Player

I'm Quantum/Hand Blaster I have two PvE DPS builds one with all might with max dam from the tree 45%/50% loadouts & one with might/Precision with max dam 45%/50% dam loadouts. It seem like I kill faster with the might/Precision with max dam 45%/50% dam loadouts. Than I do with the full might with max dam from the tree 45%/50% loadouts . That with clipping and non-clipping on both builds. Is it just me not seeing something ? (I also have a Troll build & PvP DPD build)
  11. Remander Steadfast Player

In my experience, full might builds are just hard to pull off, unless you have great controllers. Most I've gone is might lean. I try to mod based on the proportions of damage. With Celestial, I can go full precision, because the proportion is so slanted toward precision. With something like Quantum, the power costs necessitate a good amount of weapon use in most cases, so going full might usually won't pay off as well as going might lean. When WM drops, going balanced or even precision lean will probably do better, as the precision damage from the WM combos is going to shift the proportion significantly.
  12. Misashini New Player

I love this guide btw
  13. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

All this math and x=y stuff ahhhhhhh!!!