200$ for Comic shaded material? y'all are wild.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dianatique, Nov 9, 2023.

1. Dianatique Well-Known Player

It's really wild to be selling something that's an in-game cosmetic material, I have never seen any other online mmorpg game doing this, and if they do, it says more about them as a person than it does about the playerbase.

Just my two cents in.
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Except you aren’t buying the material for $200. You’re buying 20 booster packs + the material for $200. Pretty big difference.
    • Like x 8
  3. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Um... A game is not a person.
    • Like x 1
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They've been selling auras and materials for years now. A few years ago $300 would have netted you a life time subscription and an exclusive Diamond Material.

Did you want to gamble $200 on a chance for Comic material or did you want to buy it outright? Because I can confirm people have spent hundreds of dollars trying to get Comic material when it first came out.
    • Like x 7
  5. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Sadly some people are stuck saying you pay $200 just for the Shaded Comic material.

They are not saying you are buying 20 BBs..... just the material. :confused:

Nothing can reason with them sadly. :oops:

Since we had BBs.... buying 20 BBs would cost you $200.... $180 for Subs.

This year.... 20 BBs still cost $200..... but you also get the Shaded Comic material.

You get more then the previous years for the same $200.

But.... people say DCUO is selling the Shaded Comic Mat for $200. :confused: :oops:

Yes..... DCUO added the 20X pack with the material to "encourage" more people to buy 20 BBs......
    .... but saying that DCUO is selling the Shaded Comic for $200?? not even close to being true.
    • Like x 4
  6. Alushaun Well-Known Player

7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, I'm not fan of the bundles 'value', but buying 1 at $10(not including any other discounts)...then buying that same single 1 19 more times costs $200. You get 20 in the $200 bundle....the comic is a 'bonus'. If you are dumb enough to buy 20 booster bundles, you might as well buy the $200 pack and get the otherwise desirable material that ALSO sells for $75+ on it's own elsewhere.

The only drawback is the non-tradability....if you have no need of the material on your own toon, it has 0 value....which again makes it a crappy bonus....but it's still a bonus.

Still not enough to make me buy a bundle.....but if I were buying 20....I'd buy the $200 pack.
    • Like x 1
  8. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

The funny part is you have no idea how many ppl buy booster bundles hold on to the materials and sell them later for billions of in-game cash. 200$ real money is only 20bil in-game cash alot of players have 10 toons with maxed out cash to buy these boosters from ppl with real cash. In a few years what's in the booster will net them 2000$ real cash. that's why these things are expensive real cash. When there is a booster bundle if you plan to max out your characters in game money this is the way to do it
  9. Irvynnge Loyal Player

thanks for supporting the game, I guess? seriously, while I admit I'm not a fan of bundles or capsules, what everyone says is true. you're paying 200 quid for 20 bundles, not for the Shaded. the Shaded is a bonus you get for opening the bundles. now, I guess it could be argued that, yeah, but the only reason I bought the 20 bundles was because I wanted the shaded, but that don't change what it is. you still got a whole ton of other stuff for your 200 smackers, not just the shaded.

edit. when I say "you" I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm talking to whoever shelled out 200 on bundles.
  10. Jaelia Committed Player

Everyone been crying for this specific material to come back and here it goes it’s in BB. They knew people would pay for it, smart money tactic can’t get mad at them even if you wanted too.
    • Like x 4
  11. Sollace Well-Known Player

I'd be curious to know how many players decided to say "goodbye to the game" when they were still hesitating whether to continue or stop playing, but when they saw the buster bundle it finally helped them decide.
  12. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

I just don't get why the thing isn't sellable on The Broker??
  13. Alushaun Well-Known Player

wait long enough and it will either end up as a free event item, vault reward, Doctor Fate reward, permanently added to the marketplace at a discount or maybe just thrown in everyone's Granted Items one day after a long maintenance.
  14. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

How many players quit because of a single cosmetic, that they couldn't get before and can't afford now? My guess is - not a whole lot. And the ones that did, probably needed a break from the game in order to touch grass and set their priorities in order. It's just a stupid material. Nobody actually needs it.
    • Like x 3
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It won't. Shaded Comic was released in a late 2020 Booster Bundle and then again in the 2022 Booster Bundle Remix. It's obvious they plan on milking this item.
    • Like x 1
  16. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Trivial trivial point, but you don't actually have to open the bundles to get the Shaded. It just drops when you buy the package. When you get around to opening the bundles is up to you and can be done at any time. (Presumably there isn't a time limit, though I don't know that as a fact, of course.)

I'm, of course speaking on behalf of a friend! I'd never be so foolish as to spend $200 this way!

;)
    • Like x 1
  17. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

To keep it relatively rare, of course.

People who either spent billions of in-game cash to obtain the material, or who spent $200 real world to get it, would in many cases be inclined to be irritated to find that their choices to spend that much turned out in the long run to be pointless.

Which is why I don't expect, contrary to the views of some, the Shaded to start dropping in other ways, probably ever. Why would Daybreak want to damage their credibility in order to... make less money? Where's the logic in that? What would be the point?
    • Like x 1
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Why would someone quit a game just because the game offered for sale something you had no interest in buying?

So you don't want to spend that much money. Fine, very sensible decision. Why care about what other people do? Why care about what Daybreak offers for sale that you're not interested in? Are you harmed in some way by either act?

"Oh noes, the makers of this game are trying to make a profit! Who knew that that's what they were after!?

I am shocked, shocked, to learn that this game is run as if we live in a capitalistic society where companies are out to make profits!

Selling stuff is evil?
    • Like x 1
  19. Grip Committed Player

A lot of factual clarifying info here that may hopefully clear up the misunderstanding that the Shaded Comic is being sold one for one @ $200. Thanks to those putting in the time. While not everyone agrees on the details, there's a general consensus it's the most unique and eye-catching material we've seen so far. If you want more like it and are safely able to do so, vote with your wallet and support your devs' efforts, guys. Otherwise, please don't try to keep up with a movement. There are thousands of styles to pick that don't cost a cent :) Those of us who didn't buy a 20 BB package can breathe easy about the whole thing. Nothing's being taken from us. If sales are low *shrug* maybe adjustments will be made going forward. I love reading community engagement when it comes to things that affect you (general term), but I hope a few non 20 buyers will join me in letting those customers love or hate their purchase without us breathing on it LOL but do what you please, fam. My character looks okay, I think.
    • Like x 2
  20. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

For me?

To sell more.

I'd be far more tempted to buy the pack if I thought I could convert some of my real-word cash into in-game riches.

It seems to me that they would sell more.... and, therefore, make more money.