Do you even like/need Trolls anymore

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ErickStrife, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Shalayah Committed Player

True. The leaderboard is cool and all but so is beating the content. Usually if I see a DPS trying to get extra burn in while somebody is down right next to them. I’m gonna call them out especially if they let a support role die... Too many times I’ve seen players standing next to the healer or tank down yet they’re just tryna get some burn in. It’s annoying as hell. Crazy thing is they aren’t even scoreboard topping so it’s not like they’re even doing it for a reason.
    • Like x 5
  2. Shalayah Committed Player

I ran the alert in elite yesterday. We had a tank, healer and 2 dps players. We struggled on Queen Diana for a while. DPS quits and a troll joins. We beat it first attempt. I’m telling you. Stacking DPSES unless the burn is immaculate will never triumph over having a troll that knows what they’re doing.
    • Like x 4
  3. Controller Devoted Player

Threads like this make a Grown Man cry.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I miss the Good 'Ol Days of Nexus of Reality Raid - where you NOT ONLY had TWO...DOS.......Controllers BUT you ALSO HAD mechanics...adds that actually drained power from the Troller and group at times.

Darkseid's War Factory? That CLASSIC raid had similar mechanics.
    • Like x 6
  4. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Trolls are needed no matter what players say. They may or may not do damage like a dps does but that is besides the point. Using debuffs can and will make the boss/ads go quicker depending on their mechanics. Trying to burn through a big healing boss without a healing debuff is self-defeating, trying to burn through a defense buff means you will be hitting for like 10% of your damage output, and trying to survive a big hitter from a damage buff could be enough to wipe the tank or group if not debuffed to a normal hit.

Power is also necessary to proceed unless you are precision in everything, including precision aggro and precision healing. We do get power back but nowhere near enough as when there is a troll who knows how to pot and dump power.

Group debuffs due to lack of roles. Hmmm, I never see people mention this one. There is a -12% damage effect for each role missing up to -36% damage debuff if all dps. So tell me how you do more damage when you lose damage output for the whole team. Ever wonder why your supercharge has smaller numbers, well, that's why.

Not having a troll can also be a domino effect for the other roles. If the troll doesn't do a damage debuff (because no troll) then tank takes more damage, healer has to heal more, tank dies, healer dies, now there are no support roles, and then you have 6 clueless dps who are dying one by one who aren't picking up the other roles, wipe, maybe asking if anyone can troll.

With all these artifacts that dc has, I don't know what to say about them besides that they have ruined the role. Other artifacts have too as they create unnecessary use of power spam for weak benefits like purple healing ray healing the ground or the amulet that kills yourself causing a crap ton of unnecessary heals for nothing.

If someone wants you to change to dps, then simply put them on ignore, stay as a troll, and know that you wont have to play with them again. If they don't like that, then they have the option to leave and requeue.
    • Like x 5
  5. myandria Item Storage

"Nods"
    • Like x 1
  6. Shalayah Committed Player

P
    Pretty much. Then thst second I do decide to pick somebody up. The entire group gets hit by a an attack that takes the majority of their health bars, can’t do nun about that when nobody else volunteers to pick others up.
    • Like x 1
  7. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

If it eases your mind, me & a friend helped a returning player thru crown last night, the content is pretty dead so we pugged.. the tanks (3 different tanks who came in & left) were so terrible, my friend was basically the tank in troll role. Without him we never wouldve finished, so not technically troll but he did troll + extra to pick up the actual tank’s slack. Trolls are always useful in 1 way or another even sometimes in unconventional ways :)
    • Like x 2
  8. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

A munitions dps burns pretty quick. Now if he was mental or some weaker end power i wouldnt have asked, some dps powers need artifacts & a bitbof skill to be good. Munitions does not.

When i was troll i put 30 into vit and everything else into might/power n wore full dps gear. Even w a spec like that i was useless nobody cares about the little debuff. Wasted all my time leveling troll artifacts and now im waiting to the next 2x weekend to dump them into useful dps things
  9. xXHeadlinerXx Dedicated Player

No, mental is actually a top tier DPS power now. It’s problem previously was that it didn’t have powers to compliment invisibility-> pain blast. That was before solar amplifier and the finisher buff on all finishers for single target purposes. That is no longer the case. Mental is now excellent single target, which is mostly what matters.
  10. High Troller Loyal Player

i stopped playing my troll toon altogether despite my forum name and the role i used to play since the game came out.

i tried addressing this same issue 2 years ago:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...olls-important-again-sm-and-8-content.303057/

especially with the advent of 4-player sm, this only warped the controller responsibilities even more (wearing dps gear in troll role for example).
    • Like x 1
  11. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

How quick someone can burn is not relevant to my point. They (and everyone) can all burn much faster w/a troll and the burn is faster than if the troll didnt do their job and swapped to dps.
    Also, u say no one cares about the buffs an debuffs? Better go back and re-read this thread. Seems most of us do care, want, and need the troll.
    • Like x 2
  12. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Whether now, or in the past, it has been a rarity to find a troll who did them anyways. DPS who don't do them are just as bad as well
  13. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

But mental taks skill, you have to know how to actually effectively use stealth -> pain blast, or like you said have solar amplifier leveled up. But if your someone who mains as a troll and you switch to dps chances are they’re not really familiar w stealth painblast and how to actually be effective with that, i mean yea it crits for 50k+ but you have to actually know how to do it and where to get damage between cool down,,, and as far as solar, i mean thats if they have it leveled up. My issue was / still is because now im grinding tank arts.. is that i only focus on one roles artifact before moving to the next, luckly i have trans leveled up but thats my only dps art right now... which im actually gonna dump into venom next 2xp..

A munitions person can have 0 dps artifacts, not be running solar or have any experience in the dps role and be more then effective, a mental person.. I personally dont think thats the case, it certainly has a learning curve
  14. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

This guys name is high troller and even he left the role behind! 2 years ago he made a thread about this issue, its been a brewing issue for a long time. I actually ran ff ( regular) on Friday without a troll, someone like me who could care less about elite content would just be wasting time / money leveling troll artifacts. Mostly because when you get in the mission we get messages like “ do we really need a troll? Im prec ” Or “ healer has his arts we dont need a troll for this”

Heck even i asked someone to switch roles the other day, i hope the devs archive this thread and reflect on how to give the role value. Maybe your talking about in elite content like raids? But i run the elite alert just fine 3 dps me as earth tank with lasso of truth
  15. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

If you are anyone is else is asking ppl NOT to troll then you and anyone else just doesnt understand the mechanics of this game. Its bad advice to suggest the group not use a troll. Its not founded in any fact or data or function. Every piece of content in the game that can have all roles is better and smoother and easier to run with all roles period. Anyone suggesting otherwise is simply wrong and/or misinformed AND spewing terrible advice and sadly anyone suggesting the group not use a troll is either the ones spreading this bad advice and/or being dumb enough to think its good info.

Not sure how many times in this thread we can say this....... someone stupid asking you or anyone to not troll means nothing. Laugh at their stupidity and move on. Misinformed ppl wanting you or anyone not to troll doesnt mean that troll role doesnt have value. It means they dont understand the game and nothing more.....
  16. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

But if no one in the group needs power, and no boss heals or does does enough damage for you to need the damage debuff.. the only real purpose a troll serves is for the defense debuff, which in regular context the adds end up getting fried in 15 seconds regardless of the buff or not, again .. im talking about regular content
  17. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

And again im talking about any content that can accomodate ALL 4 roles. Its better, smoother, easier, and faster with the troll.
  18. testerz New Player

Trolling is at a great place and this is coming from a controller main with every troll artifact at 200. Its just unimaginative players and bad suggestions that will ruin the role.
    The meta is buff trolling and or battle trolling. Thats it.
    Maybe people here miss being batteries, idk.

The meta would need to shift due to content design, artifacts and a "balance" pass for another style of trolling to be preferred.
    After that happens there will be a similar thread such as this one where players are complaining about something they lack, dont want to do or feel bored.

Also, any troll running a 160+ Rao is a great benefit to a group. Anyone forcing a troll to go dps is just plain ignorant and a testament as to why this game is in the state its in.
    • Like x 3
  19. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Facts!
    The biggest thing the “stack as many dps as possible” and “we dont need a troll” ppl are missing and/or not understanding.
    Each dps bring with it a damage penalty %. A single troll brings with it a set of buffs and debuffs.
    Now it doesnt take any sort of genius or even common sense to see that adding 1 troll brings 2 sets of positive net gains while bringin in the extra dps brings with it a net loss in dps. Im not sayin that 3 dps’s can out damage 4 dps’s (as an example).
    I am 100% saying that 3 dps’s and 1 troll will severely out damage 4 dps’s tho. Its not even close.
    This whole thread concept is backward and makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Its dumb on a record setting scale to suggest trolls arent beneficial and its even stupider to suggest its in any way better to have a dps in that slot. Theres not a single raid/alert in the game where it’d be better to not have the troll.
  20. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

The thing is, people complained about being batteries when that was the role’s sole function lmao. Ironically, now that there’s other troll playstyles, suddenly the role is broken? And I absolutely used to hate being a battery only, especially during the pre WM days
    • Like x 1