Make Traditional Trolls Important Again (SM and < 8 content)!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by High Troller, Jul 18, 2019.

1. High Troller Loyal Player

Players on here keep throwing around the idea of 1-, 2-, and 4-player SM with improvements. Unfortunately this type of group makeup does not allow for a troll that wears purely troll gear to get to higher rounds. The community will shun them to the curve. This recent SM proved just that.

Furthermore, traditional trolls are typically not welcomed in 1-, 2- and 4-player content due to roleless buffs.

I'm pleading to the community and developers to create content that will make traditional trolls important again... and give consideration to include them in future content.
    • Like x 16
  2. SigmaAtom Committed Player

*Personally*

I miss Priority Power Heal a.k.a 'Charge'.. a one off massive power dump with no PoT'ing attached.

When this was removed, it was IMHO a very sad day for Controllers.

Y'see it's important for Trollers to have a Vita based dump.. OR you can just up all your power crits and pour the rest of your SP onto dom and resto.. both ways should be valid.. or it makes Vita useless with no priority power heal.

I see a symmetry with Healers.. although not a complete mirror.. when the priority power heal was removed it made controller that bit more further away from Healers.

I *would suggest*..the controller powers work as they do now.. but with Priority Power Heal:
    (Troller) Vita 75% + (recipient) Vita 25% = total output of priority power heal.

In raids.. back in the day, trollers were able to restore half a bar to an entire party.
    With our new power regen built in for DPS.. perhaps a re-introduction with a longer cooldown.
    • Like x 2
  3. High Troller Loyal Player

Back in the day, we ran 2 controllers... before WM and AM... here's a prime example:

you might even could tell i'm using brawling.. it was the higher vit weapon in the game aside from one-hand.
    • Like x 1
  4. Yaiba Committed Player

Traditional troll, battle troll, etc... in the end, they're controller, just different playstyle. There will be contents that one style will shine, be a better choice than the other, for example:

+ Raids: traditional troll > battle troll

+ Alerts: battle troll > traditional troll

+ SM season 1: battle troll > traditional troll

Troll is already important in alerts atm, you can look at TSS/DR where you will need troll for certain feats. Also my average time with those alerts is better when running with a troll.
    • Like x 4
  5. SigmaAtom Committed Player

While I agree with the sentiment.. let players play.. I for one am a very trad troller.
    The idea of a 'battle troller' abhors me.. I work hard on my 'no aggro' and not dragging angry mobs towards support.

@ High troller

Yeah :) Vita Troller and Debuff hehe
    • Like x 2
  6. Controller Devoted Player

Yeah I wish you well with this, OP...

I reminisce about the old days, too...even to the point of posting 70s, 80s and 90s music in the "What are you listening to now?" thread in Joker's Playhouse....

It seems THAT LONG since Traditional Trolls were used...and I'm not talking single Troll content that is so prevalent now..

I'm talking Nexus of Reality / Paradox Wave content - where TWO TROLLS were the NORM...

Now, we CANNOT blame the Devs IMO - somehow someway Solo Trolling became a thing with the community.

I've got a Battle Troll armory but have used it only ONCE over the last couple of years and it wasn't for the recent SM.

Maybe the Devs can introduce content where add(s) drain power..sorta like the drones in DWF...making it ESSENTIAL for TWO TROLLS, at least initially..

But I am certain that eventually the communities hunger for pew pew pew will take over and Solo Troll will eventually happen then as well.

I personally blame Spengler, myself....dude could NOT take his hands off that proton thrower. The community loves the pew pew like Spengler.

NOT blaming the community for this OR the Devs but I'd be shocked if we ever go back to the Old Days now.
    • Like x 3
  7. Heywiar Committed Player

Oh boy, I have quite a lot to say about this as a troll but I'll just keep it simple.
    The revamp absolutely SHAFTED trolls and seeing Avair's smirk as he said we're only batteries was super frustrating. My hopes for the future of the role I once loved so much are practically gone now.
    • Like x 8
  8. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I loved 2trolls i liked being the buff guy because those were the coolest lookimg powers in my set.

Sadly 2 troll would b hard today because every power gives pot now so thered b over ride issues
    • Like x 3
  9. Controller Devoted Player

If this is true Avair needs to be reminded that we Crowd Control, provide powerful shields to the party and debuff adds / bosses.

OH - we give power too - and are oftentimes the next role up for giving damage (right behind DPS).
    • Like x 4
  10. Heywiar Committed Player

Yeah, he was on a stream a while back and pretty much insinuated that the troll role was practically useless. I'll have to find the stream for ya.
    • Like x 2
  11. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Hold on 1 minute, if you are playing the role right, mobs won't be dragged anywhere near support but controlled so that support can move to a safe place during scripted attacks or when tanks haven't established aggro yet.

I understand the mentality of thinking all instances and situations should be the same, but in itself is just wrong and people should speak up.
  12. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Ironically Nexus and Dox actually started it, even though it was being done with 3 trolls or more during that time.

In those raids it become notorious for the bad burn and to supplement that groups started adding more burners.

The AM times helped to reinforce it though.

I would only hope they restore the durations from CC effects and somehow figure out the trinkets.

CC'ing is our job, seems pointless to have the ability to control... for 1 second.
    • Like x 5
  13. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

They got rid of the power dump? When? So trolls can only debuff and give p.o.t? Please tell me I read this wrong.
    • Like x 1
  14. plumcrazy Well-Known Player

I remember coming back and seeing that every power now gives pOt and was like really? It also seems pOt does not last as long anymore now as before I remember double ticking however it could just be that now since everything gives a pOt it's throwing off the timing idk.
  15. High Troller Loyal Player

please elaborate and speak your mind.
    • Like x 2
  16. Rainnifer Committed Player

I'm not an old player, and my first and current power choice was Quantum. I've grown to love being a Troll but I've already come across similar frustrations. I avoided survival mode altogether, didn't try it ONCE because I knew I was not fit for it. People want battle trolls, and I wasn't about to drag the team down because I am only a "traditional" troll.
    As I play, I try my best to make my role viable. Debuffing, powering, stunning, even making it my job to be the pickup thanks to my teleporting/aggro-losing shield. I do most of the mechanics as well since I have a lot of flexibility with my role as long as the group isn't way too power heavy. I also use the supercharge shield to help when I see the whole team struggling, to give some break for the healer. I tell myself that my defense debuff indeed helps a lot. Sure I could just be another DPS for extra burn, by why would I do that when I can debuff the enemies which makes everyone else's burn more effective, take less damage for some extra protection, power them so they can continue burning anyways, and I can also help out in other ways?

I still believe the Troll role is viable even for Alerts. I hope the next DLC can help shed more light on the need for Trolls.
    • Like x 2
  17. Heywiar Committed Player

Essay incoming...to Google Docs I go!
    • Like x 3
  18. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Dont spend to much time on it, devs troll us with the existence of these forums... day after day we pour our passion into trying to show them what potential this game has, and day after day they let us down by keeping us out of the loop, throwing us lootboxes & taunting us with a LPVE weekend after telling us the bugs that exist arenf a priority for them to fix.. oh yea & remember the pvp aspect of the game? Probably 100+ threads on it & you could search for hours and wont come up with one good response as to why its been abandoned

Then they tell us dont post anything that isn’t feedback on here but its way past feedback, its becoming us begging
    • Like x 3
  19. Pinky Well-Known Player

The only viable instances where controllers are useful now are

1) open world raids like Doomsday in Doomed Metropolis
    2) open world bounties like
    Starro Conqueror in Deluge
    Giant Robot/Fearsome Five on Teen Titans Island
    Large Brine Hulk/Trench Mother in Atlantis
    Shogg Lord/Elder Demon in Chaos Gotham

There, a single defense debuff from a Controller affects the boss for both factions and will greatly accelerate the kill-time for the boss when large numbers of damage dealers are present to take advantage of the defense debuff.

No one bothers to switch to controller role in alerts, because 90% of the players are Superpowered with plenty of power regen of their own to keep themselves powered, and together with the role-less buff, makes the controller's power regeneration ability unnecessary.
    • Like x 2
  20. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

As I read this I thought of all the hero's around the world and I don't mean the ones getting paid for their services either, I mean those who help others as in some cases don't get a thank you or anything of gratitude.

As someone who mainly played the Controller role, I say your welcome.

I don't worry about not being thanked for keeping that add from smashing the healer, it does not bother me when the 2 or 3 DPS dive into a mob who are kneeling to Zod, I don't even get concerned about not being recognized for anything that I do in any run.

What gets me are those who throw on troll gear, throw powers as if it does not matter what they are doing because they bring nothing to the table and expect Tanks to do their job.

Burn is the thing for all but 1 fight in 1 alert is the game, most don't respond well because quite frankly there really is no threat in content and if it is somewhat of a challenge, it becomes even more difficult for people because of a feature called block.

There is more to the role than just throwing power, I just wish that there was a way to teach the role to others who need simple instructions without having to keep dumbing down the game so that people can dress the part, but not know how to play the role.
    • Like x 2