Does anyone actually like the revive limit in Elite?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AV, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Zneeak Devoted Player

And you've had that question answered, multiple times, by both me and Proxy. Didn't you like the answer you were given? Perhaps you'd like to tell us how to answer it in ways you can twist it and stray it further away from the actual point we brought up?
    • Like x 2
  2. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

You keep saying content has to be designed with the deal counter in mind, but what is it wasn’t, but we still had it?
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  4. Zneeak Devoted Player

Let me see if I can dumb this down and make it as easy as possible, as you like it:
    The revive limit directly and indirectly force the developers to having to design the Elite-content with the Revive limit in mind, because it limits the amount of difficulty, the amount of punishment the bossfight can bring, the amount mechanics that can be used, etc. Without the Revive limit in place, they highly increase the bar of various amounts of interesting ways they can use to bring difficulty to the table in said content.
    • Like x 2
  5. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Why does it limit the amount of difficulty and punishment a boss can bring?
  6. Zneeak Devoted Player

becase you can only die once? Die twice and you're out? That means, the bossifght can only be so difficult and so punishing and contain only so many mechanics with a Revive limit implemented. In SM for example, multiple attacks and mechanics could kill several members of your team more than once and the attention to pickups was crucial. If a Revive limit was placed, some of those certain attacks and mechanics would have to be dumbed down in order to remain.
    • Like x 2
  7. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Why would they have to dumb them down? Why not go all in?
  8. Zneeak Devoted Player

The actual Revive limit-function LIMITS the "going all in"-part. Going all in is what you can actually reach by removing it. You can only go so much with the Revive limit-function implemented.
    • Like x 2
  9. AV Loyal Player

Tuck the epeen away and read the thread, please. No one is complaining that the limit makes content too challenging, or more challenging at all. The point is that it's an artificial, arbitrary, contrived restriction that ultimately makes content overly rote in nature and therefore easier overall. As has been discussed for the last few pages, there's a firm cap on how challenging the devs can make a fight if people can only die once. Pre-limit content was allowed to be much harder, more dynamic, and more natural. Post-limit content is mostly test-taking: we learn the mechanic, memorize the mechanic, do the mechanic, and that's it. It's MMO design at its worse.
    • Like x 1
  10. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

Was neutural on the revive, but when seeing this many people started to pile up against it, i'm like let's put a little perspective here. It's not that bad.

If the raid has unfair mechanics/difficulty, then the fix should be with the mechanics. Which the game is doing with patches (how good or how fast?... different camps may vary on opinions).

If the raid technically glitches like not showing the tells, then fix the tells.

If by removing the death limit, the Devs will just magically start making mechanics more challenging. That assumption is bit of a leap. I don't have a direct line to the devs, maybe you do. I personally wouldn't put words in their mouth as to why the difficulty level is the way it is.

The limit gets a bad rep because when things go south it's last thing players see; the KO. Not necessarily what led to the KO. If that root cause is 'unfair' then address that.

I look at an elite boss like bowling a frame. Maybe a strike, split or gutter ball, but you get two cracks at it.
  11. Ringz Dedicated Player

12. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

What is the revive limit?

Most content I don't fall more than 2 times and usually that's when the group is rushing and/or I'm not paying attention.
  13. AV Loyal Player

You can be revived once in a fight in Elite content.
  14. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

That will teach you to be more cautious for sure.

It is L337 after all.
  15. ObsceneBoy Committed Player

Speaking as more of a casual player these days, I don't mind it, it does as some say force you to keep focused.

Focusing isn't really one of my strong points, so knowing I can only go down once is a real motivator for me. Team work too ofc, that's also a good motivator. Go team.
  16. AV Loyal Player

That's not the point. The issue is we get hella watered down mechanics because there's not a whole lot you can do when designing a fight if you're only allowed to kill a player once. The "hardest" thing they can do is have situations that require instances of perfectly coordinated action requiring everyone to block + be kept topped up and group shielded in order to survive a very specific attack under lab sanitary circumstances (eg. Ikon suit) without much or often any randomness thrown in. Not to mention they already had permadeath as a mechanic in their bag o' goodies vis a via revive-preventing AoE, which was significantly more dangerous/punishing without being so arbitrary. Lastly, how we handled a bad turn of events used to be an important and fun part of the game. Now, it's either a matter of having DPS switch as needed and the fight taking longer, electing to wipe as it'll be faster, or suffering a cascading failure if a key roll gets out and can't be replaced. All those outcomes are boring in comparison. Totally arbitrary and unexciting.

It would be better and less limiting if they'd introduce different death mechanics for different KO vectors (kinda like how sacrificing yourself to nuke the adds in UM doesn't hurt your gear durability), or really just had a more dynamic approach to the restrictions. Make specific moves not count towards the limit so the fights are a lil more chaotic/exciting and a lil less like taking a quiz. I get it that it's easier to tune for a fight if the revive mechanic severely limits what the dev can do but it's ultimately far less compelling gameplay.
    • Like x 3
  17. Schimaera Devoted Player

I get the feeling that most counter arguments don't take in consideration that we do not just want the removal of the death counter and to keep everything like it is. We want more engaging mechanics and I do have a decent feeling that some of them are coming. The last dlcs showed that the devs are trying new things. I just feel that their horizons can be broadened.

Sure, we could just remove the death counters and keep the existing mechanics. But then I want to rename "Elite" to "normal" and "normal" to "novice" and "event" to "free stuff".
    • Like x 3
  18. High Troller Loyal Player

are you concerned about being forced to get good?
  19. AV Loyal Player

Are you concerned that you failed to read the thread or properly comprehend the entire point of it? We want things to be harder, not easier. Death limit is weaksauce, arbitrary, contrived, and makes for simple, rote mechanics that can't overlap much by design.

Nowhere in the OP or the thread have I or anyone said they want the death limit to **** because "it's challenging." It's not challenging, it just pointlessly restricts mechanics and overall difficulty to a clear lowest common denominator. Playing a version of digital jump-rope specifically designed to not kill you too much isn't hard and being fully aware of the arbitrary limitation kills immersion/fun. It's banal.
    • Like x 2
  20. Blazing Bacon Well-Known Player

For normal: bring us back to the days of having an "easy" raid and a "hard" raid instead of a "short" raid and a "long" raid.

For elite: get rid of the rally limit and add inventive mechanics that make the raid a challenging experience that doesn't rely on one-shots.
    • Like x 1