Does anyone actually like the revive limit in Elite?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AV, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Great Architect Loyal Player

IIRC (please correct me if I am wrong) some of the Elite Feats require you to complete them "on the first attempt", so the slow wipe of players being slowly locked out does have some relevance, since a full wipe becomes less likely with unlimited revives.

Having said that, I'm not 100% sure about the revive system anyway, since a single revive can easily turn into a dead reviver, and cascade from there, if not managed well by the group.

One of the main issues I have is the period of absolute helplessness the character has after revival, and the fact that the window between a successful revive and the player actually rallying can be several seconds too - meaning the Healer has no real idea when to throw a burst or spam priority to actually help the stricken character. Even dropping a Supply Drop is touch and go for the first second or so when the character gets up and yawns stretches and is *completely* vulnerable.

If a revive occurred *automatically* (i.e not triggered by the player) - and without that vulnerability delay - *the second* that the gearwheel animation finishes, I can't see how that would break the revive mechanism.

As far as I can tell, the only use for it being a player decision when to revive is if you are still in an AoE DoT?
  2. Dene Devoted Player

Never heard of this happening - Officially, Non Elite content has no revive limits, maybe it is a bug/one off glitch that sometimes happens ?
  3. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I don't think this is normal.

Take a look at some of the Survival Mode videos - folks in there can die dozens of times and still get up.

Edit: As to the OP's question, I dislike the limit. It's one of the things that keeps me from playing Elite with any regularity. But that's because I'm bad at the game.

Might be why folks continue to campaign for the return of Survival Mode. It's a little more forgiving with its unlimited amount of deaths.
  4. Hraesvelg Always Right

Ugh, those domes. Makes things like US Elite that much more of a pain in the ***.
  5. Proxystar #Perception

It wasnt even really that they had insane health it was because of cr differential.

Damage eventually started doing next to no damage where it then became an exercise in perseverance and waiting for orbitals to come off cooldown while hitting pathetic numbers while also having your survivability tied to cr as well.

The whole thing really was a train wreck, it certainly wasnt impossible but you'd be in there for hours.
    • Like x 1
  6. xPhantom Atom Well-Known Player

Elite raids are a joke as it is. People spam the first boss or two to get maximum renown and they are done with full elite gear. I would love for them to actually have it so you need to get the completion of the raid or something before you can use your renown. Might actually keep people playing during quiet periods.
    • Like x 4
  7. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

I'd definitely do more elite if i didn't have to re wipe every 10 mins.
    • Like x 1
  8. Hollow Gohan Well-Known Player

It's more than that. What you say is true for some people, but there's another level to it for some of the population. They're easy enough to where all bosses of both raids can be spammed right now after the first few days for various groups. Making it so you have to complete the raid to get renown isn't a bad idea, but the raids are still a joke regardless.
    • Like x 1
  9. Proxystar #Perception

The trouble isn't that you get renown off the first and second boss its that theres no statistical distinction between those completing the content and those trying the content.

You can't take away the rewards from first and second boss because it disproportionately places too much focus on the last boss without enough reward being given to completing the earlier bosses, which is still progress.

The problem is that people that complete the raids don't see themselves as being seperated from those that don't and therefore get incensed at the insinuation that they're on equal footing with those they consider to be inferior elite players.

Even within the elite community there are those players that think they're better and maybe they are in the sense that they strive to get stuff done as quickly as possible as fast as possible in order to flex.

But you can't move all rewards to completion, all you have to do is create a distinction to seperate the achievement, it doesn't even actually have to be significant.

Maybe we could even put an artifact weapon like an op weapon behind last boss or a trinket of omnipotence, something unique like that is all you really need.
  10. Hollow Gohan Well-Known Player

I wouldn't say it's that people become incensed at the insinuation that they're on equal footing as other players, but that the accomplishment of beating an Elite raid seems diminished when so many different groups are completing them so quickly. For some it is absolutely an ego thing.

Regardless of the game, there is always going to be a competitive nature to it. Some competitiveness leads to toxicity, and thus always leads to a groan from the casual playerbase. However, healthy competition is what I enjoy in the game. I'm perfectly fine with loot rewards being the same as they are now. However, the most enjoyment I've had in the game in past 2 years was when I got the Elite Victory title. Didn't need to be an op weapon or anything like that to signify completion. Was just a title associated with a feat, but was quite fulfilling since it was quite difficult to get and only one other group had gotten it at the time.

Which leads to me to say that I think this reward for completion idea is actually tied with Elite raids and their feats, and how lackluster they've been recently. My opinion is that it would be better to focus on that separately, and to focus on the issue of people only spamming certain bosses for renown by itself.
    • Like x 1
  11. Proxystar #Perception

Short of making the bosses more difficult you're never going to put a stop to that, it's been happening since Blackest Day elite, it's been happening since Throne elite.

I actually don't see it as a problem, the problem really is the recognition of completion, you have to give the players something unique for completing it, like you say a title, a cosmetic, something to reward them for that part of it that is visible.
  12. Great Architect Loyal Player

Hang on. Elite ~= CURRENT Elite. Though I do recognise what you are saying. I've seen plenty of groups messed up by mass-quitting after Sea Beast in Throne E. I hadn't even considered that t was because they had got their renown drop and didn't want to go on o_O
    • Like x 1
  13. Nu31 Well-Known Player

I personally love it, it is annoying though that raids are broken and glitched most of the time, so you have to wipe due to the raid's failures... IE: Invisible Sea Beast charge in Throne E / Morgwar hurricane glitch in SSE.
  14. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Yuuup. spamming first boss for renown. Talk about cheese and getting paid for not finishing.
    There shown be zero renown given unless the raid is finished.
    • Like x 1
  15. Knarlydude Loyal Player

You can pop a cola to cut the animation when reviving. We have been able to to this for as long as I can remember.

I normally just pop a cola upon being revived just like I would use any other power that will clip an animation. If it is in a harder area. I click enter/cola/shield. :)
    • Like x 1
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

There is no revive limit in regular, but people do get tired of picking up the same squishy and will leave them bleed out after a few times in a fight. I've personally picked up people 6 or 7 times in one boss fight (1st boss in Escape is a good one for this) but that was more just to see if I could do it than because he needed to be picked up.

To the OP's question, I only have a problem with the 2 life pickup when the mechanics don't work properly. Getting 1 shotted while rolling out of the AOE or blocking through a boss's skull and the group loses 3 guys gets to be annoying. I do agree it's artificial difficulty, but it's probably the only way we'll see runs that are 'difficult' past base entry CR.

Disagree on only getting renown after last boss though. Too many rage quitters, disconnects, glitches. If I only got my 3 renown tokens at the end of a raid (or one big one), I doubt I'd have any Elite sets done. And I'm not one to 'spam' 1st boss and leave just for the renown.

Reinheld
    • Like x 3
  17. AV Loyal Player

That's essentially my core beef with it and it makes for too much of a luck/RNG factor. Way too much. Sometimes there's no warning or the visuals screw up. Sometimes you're dealt a no-win mechanic spawn that's outside your control. Sometimes you evade a kill shot only to have another spawn on you before you're allowed/able to move again. It's pure cheese, especially combined with the fact that it's already tough to revive in elite because there's a decent chance w/e killed the person is still a threat.

Content felt more challenging and less cheesy w/o the limit. The limit just makes for some serious retro arcadey RNG bs.

Edit: It also makes flying OP in a lot of fights where it allows the player to avoid mechanics most of the time.
    • Like x 1
  18. Zneeak Devoted Player

I agree with what many others have said about this topic, remove the revive limit so they can focus on actual mechanics and difficulty in Elite-content rather than mainly depending on artificial difficulty.
    • Like x 1
  19. AV Loyal Player

I should have realized we already had an effective soft-cap on revive anyways via the durability system. You could always only ever get up a few times before your gear went to **** and you were useless except for support. Difference being this made for some fun hail mary plays in pre-limit content, they could make content harder in general (traditionally, not via cheese mechanics), and we weren't arbitrarily over-punished for factors outside our control.
  20. Illumin411 Loyal Player

^^THIS^^

This pissed me off enough with my DPS/trolling. Now that I have an endgame tank toon, it REEEEEAAAAAALLLY pisses me off.