Tyto - Unofficial DCUO Android App

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Talon, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

Good point there. The apps tell nothing about any of the users personal information.
  2. Talon Well-Known Player

If you mean free Android apps, then there are a number of differences. Chiefly, there are no census-based Android apps on the market other than Tyto.

If you are talking about a comparison between Tyto and various census websites, then currently the key difference is the advice Tyto offers on upgrades. It's designed to take the trial and error out of CR calculation and to give you details on what gear you can upgrade to get to the next tier as quickly as possible. It will also tell you where you can get the new gear from.

Aside from the differing feature list, there are benefits to having this on a portable handheld device. Just think... what would Batman do?

I would like to add that no data is ever stored on your device after the app is closed. No data is transmitted anywhere other than to the game's server, and that is in the form of a request. Nothing is ever transmitted to anywhere which can store any data (although the game's server may log requests for analytical purposes - if so that's nothing to do with me).

I have very specifically designed this to never write to the disk other than the image cache which is wiped when you exit the app.
    • Like x 2
  3. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

:eek:

Start developing an iOS version right this minute!
  4. Dametria Loyal Player

I bought the app on my Kindle, very nice Talon. :)

but seriously would rather access it on my Surface Pro or my phone...any hope for a windows phone version?
    • Like x 2
  5. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Not before iOS!
    *shakes fist*

I've got some alts I want to get to cr99 or so, and I'm far, far too lazy to enter their gear levels into a spreadsheet I have floating around.
  6. Talon Well-Known Player

I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again...

Depending on the success of Tyto (from a financial point of view and how well received it is) I will consider other platforms. The main restriction right now is that I simply don't have devices to test on, making development impossible.

When I started work on Tyto a few months ago I knew nothing about writing an app for Android but I did have a bunch of devices of various ages kicking about, which was very convenient. Without knowledge you can learn. Without hardware you have to spend money. Whilst it would be a sound investment, at this stage I can't make that investment.

Dametria, hopefully you got Tyto via Google Play. I fixed a crash but have had problems uploading the fix to Amazon Appstore. I am working on rectifying that, though, and the crash should only occur when you resume the app from an idle state, so it's not massively intrusive.

I am pleased those who are using the app like it, and I am pleased there is interest for it to be released on other OSes. This is a very positive response and hopefully I can at least cater for the majority in due course!

Don't forget to leave a rating on your store of choice, too ;)
    • Like x 3
  7. Dametria Loyal Player

Yep I did. :)
    • Like x 3
  8. Katniss 13 New Player

9. Talon Well-Known Player

Thank you :)

You'll be glad to hear that work on version 2 is well under way and will bring new features, some of which haven't been used in any other census app/website.
    • Like x 3
  10. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

Great job Talon!
  11. Talon Well-Known Player

Thank you, much appreciated.

Someone asked me whether the app works for PlayStation players. Figured I'd put the answer here in case anyone else was wondering...

Yes, Tyto can find characters and leagues on all servers (USPS, USPC, EUPS, EUPC). All the same info will be available. Just make sure you choose the correct search options :)
    • Like x 1
  12. Talon Well-Known Player

I would also like to add that if you find any issues with Tyto of any sort, don't hesitate to let me know and I will fix them. I have developed this with very limited resources and no formal testing. I've done everything I could to ensure it is stable and that the advice it offers is accurate and such, but there will always be stuff I've missed.

Being a paid app I understand the importance of it being done right.
  13. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Does it factor modding into the equation? For example I want to get a character from cr97 (or so) to 99...I can do it with a mix of replacing a couple of bits of gear and upgrading some mods.

Also, have you considered special character substitution? For exmple, I know of a character who uses a number of Ô characters...it may not be feasible, but including characters like that when searching for a name that includes "O" would be pretty damn amazing.
    • Like x 1
  14. Radium Devoted Player

Done, good luck and here's to more features in the future.
  15. Talon Well-Known Player

Yep. Tyto's advice is based on three basic upgrade types: mod only, gear only and modded gear. It will prioritise in that order, so if you can hit the next tier by just adding mods, that's what it will suggest. It will also display a combination of upgrade types, with the aim to give the "cheapest" advice possible.

There is logic there to make the advice as sensible as possible but there are obvious limitations. For example, Tyto can't see a toon's currency and therefore there is a risk you might spend inappropriately. If you were advised to mod an item and that used all your MoTs, so you ran a couple of raids during which a higher level version of that same item dropped, you may have wasted some currency. It also can't factor personal preference in (such as wanting the stats more than the CR gain in the interim, or wanting a style).

I considered doing this but decided against it for a few reasons. You can search for toons using any character your device's keyboard will allow, but there is no fuzzy logic. It works on a very much "key it to see it" basis. It's not really sensible to substitute characters because suddenly a name with many vowels would have potentially hundreds of combinations of letters to search, resulting in hundreds of queries to the server.

I'm not sure of the exact list of allowed special characters on the EU server, but let's assume it's 5 variations per vowel, plus the regular vowel. The name "Bob" suddenly requires 6 queries to the server. The name "Boba" requires 36. The name "Boba Fett" requires 216. You can see where this is going... and that's just considering vowels.

I didn't see the need since you can do case insensitive, partial name searches (e.g. "a fe" would return "Boba Fett" among others), and considering you are probably looking up a specific toon (i.e. you know the spelling of their name). The only benefit would be for finding out if a name is already taken, in which case you'd need to double that 216 to 432 (216 for PS and 215 for PC).

Many thanks, and hear hear!
    • Like x 2
  16. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

I can see why it's not really feasible then! I wonder if it would be worth asking the Census folk to add a new name field....replacing the special characters.

The character I used as the basis for my example has special characters in every vowel...meaning that using "a fe" for a search (using your example) won't work...I'd be looking "R V". Which may not return many characters I guess...well, just checked - 1,000. Easy enough to scroll through!
  17. Talon Well-Known Player

You'd only need to resort to that if you're not able to enter special characters in the search, which would be a limitation of your device's keyboard.

For example, if you set the search settings to:
    Toon, Contains..., EU, PC

And do a search for note the accent over the í):
    íle

You get results. So you could search for that particular character with the exact spelling of their name, so long as your device's keyboard has those characters. On my primary device they're accessed by long-pressing the key and then selecting from the popup menu which appears.

Hopefully this helps :)
    • Like x 1
  18. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

:eek: holy crap, I did not know that!

I'd like, no love, your post more if I could....but sadly I'm restricted to one like.

Stupid like restrictions - get off my lawn!
    *shakes fist*
  19. Talon Well-Known Player

Haha, it's always good to improve someone's Tyto experience without having to write more code ;)
  20. Prosser Dedicated Player

Just something I noticed. My main, Prosser (USPC hero) is currently 114CR, Equipped and overall. When I bring myself up on the app though, it says I am 114 overall and 115 equipped :confused: