The real reason behind SP

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by drzdonn, Sep 15, 2014.

1. drzdonn Well-Known Player

I see the issue with SP being brought up all the time. Some say they are useful others say that they are not. But here is the true reason why I think people ask for a SP requirement when looking for a group:

The main way (aside from personally knowing a player) to evaluate how good a player is, is by knowing their CR and SP.

This is NOT a direct cause and effect relationship, but a strong correlation. Meaning that a high CR and SP count does not guarantee a good player but does minimize the risk of a bad player.

Walk through the logic:

A high CR means you have a certain amount of gear, which in turns guarantees that your stats are at a certain level. Now if you are a bad player, having high stats means nothing, but with high enough stats an average player can be a great benefit to the group.
    A high SP count means that you have spent a certain amount of time in game doing other things aside from gear hunting. Now if you are a bad player a lot of SP means nothing, but someone with a lot of SP has inevitably spent a lot of time in game, which is assumed has resulted in that player gaining even more valuable experience playing through content.
    Even if it is an alt who got their SP by feat unlocking. That player would have needed to earn and spend the time gaining all those feats in the first place.

The only fault here is that the community assumes that more play time equals more experience which in turn should lead to a smarter better player.
    • Like x 13
  2. True Despair Well-Known Player

The main way (aside from personally knowing a player) to evaluate how good a player is

i laughed then i stopped reading because you are so wrong
    • Like x 12
  3. drzdonn Well-Known Player

Then you have no right to post a reply to something you have not read. Just proves how ignorant you are.
    • Like x 22
  4. Seismicfesr Dedicated Player

Also a bad player with high SP amount might now be as harmful to the group as a high CR badplayer with less SP, those SP can relate to more health, more defense, more Crit chances. A dps with high SP will do more damage then a high CR low SP player just on crits and other factors. The dffference is across all roles, now remember we are not talking about skill but players with out skill
    • Like x 3
  5. Seismicfesr Dedicated Player

Just to clarify my above post, I am comparing players with no skill and low sp to players with no skill and high sp
    • Like x 3
  6. drzdonn Well-Known Player

Right, yea that's fine. The main idea is that having a high CR and SP has a stronger correlation to good players not because of the actual numbers but because of the in-game time and experience that those high numbers (more often then not) promise.
    • Like x 3
  7. drzdonn Well-Known Player

LOL, yea, I did have to re-read it once or twice to make sure I was coming away with the correct message.
  8. Seismicfesr Dedicated Player

I understand cwhat your saying I think a more simple version would be the chances that a CR 108 179sp player being offel is significantly less then the chance that a CR 108 45 sp player being offel is.
    • Like x 3
  9. justvin New Player

[IMG]

You can not judge how good a player is based off of their SP/CR for if you never run any sort of content with them and judging off of their performance. Don't let those high stats fool you, I did TD a few weeks ago on my main and this guy from my league was asking me if I got the tank from walmart.
    • Like x 4
  10. GreenLanternForever Well-Known Player

Pointless stats are pointless, its all about IQ and hand eye coordination :p
    • Like x 8
  11. Radiohead New Player

Doesn't matter how "good" a player is or thinks they are.. If you have low sp and high cr and you aren't a friend or league mate then I don't want to run with you. It is my choice. I pay to play this game the way I want to and If I am in charge of gathering people for a PUG and you don't meet the standards I set for group then you will not be invited. If you set up a group and I don't meet the standards and you choose not to inv me then so be it. I promise I won't lose a wink of sleep
    • Like x 8
  12. drzdonn Well-Known Player

Agreed. But there is a strong correlation with high SP and CR to decent players.
    • Like x 7
  13. drzdonn Well-Known Player

Yea. I would hint that at least part of the reasoning behind you not wanting to run with people who do not meet your requirements is for the reasoning that I mentioned in my walk through the logic.
  14. EPICQ New Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  15. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

I'm going to post the same thing I did in another thread based off my own in-game experiences and what others have told me:

I'm currently CR 98 and only have 73 SP. Before I started my hiatus back in March, I used to play on DCUO at least 5 days a week, for 8-10 hours at a time, and I was constantly working on leveling up my toon and trying to get good gear. I've been told multiple times by other players I've ran with that I'm a great controller, and even though my vitalization isn't as high as most trolls at my rating, I know enough about strategy to keep all players in a group at 50+% power at all times.... Now, just looking at my SP, you wouldn't know what I was capable of, because you'd just say, "Oh, she only has 73 SP, she must not spend a lot of time on her toon to know what she's doing", but the fact is that I tend to do more PvE content, so where I lack in PvP, I more than make up for in PvE, regardless of what my statistics say.

Just an example on how knowing a person's stats doesn't necessarily mean you know enough about the player to make a good, educated guess on their quality.
    • Like x 6
  16. randomkeyhits Dedicated Player

here we go again.

More SP is better than less SP (duh!) if properly specced

Higher CR is better than lower CR unless the lower CR guy has higher Item Level gear with low mods

More skill is priceless

The last you only find out about by running content along side someone.

Thats all it takes, run content with someone because if they are good they'll be making up that CR/SP deficit pretty quickly.

The one thing that is never mentioned alongside CR/SP/Skill however is attitude. No matter good someone is, if their attitude sucks then thanks but no thanks, I want to enjoy my game time but the only way you get to know is to run the content with them first.
    • Like x 10
  17. drzdonn Well-Known Player

Agreed. But like I said, there is a high correlation between high SP and CR to better players. The numbers themselves do not matter, what matters is the in-game time and experience those numbers potentially represent.
    • Like x 4
  18. Archangel Rafael New Player

OP restates common knowledge
    • Like x 4
  19. LordStrongsword New Player

I had over 100 SP before I was 98 CR, and I didn't do much PvP then. 99.8% of my SP were from PvE content.
    • Like x 3
  20. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

I guess I can agree with that. Honestly, I'd have a lot more SP if I could afford Legendary again -____- My only options for racking up SP right now are either spending all of my Marks to finish the style feats, or to try to get some more Legends feats, and honestly, I'm kind of a terrible PvP-er, so the latter is kind of out of the question (at least I'm admitting to it!) :p
    • Like x 3