Why am i being downbalanced everywhere i go?!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jayk0b, Apr 29, 2023.

1. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 5
  2. Trexlight Devoted Player

You can still help your friend. You just cant carry them. And CR is about moving up through Content. It serves no other purpose than that. While I understand having your stats lowered in older content isnt ideal, its a give and take. Your stats are lowered but you get loot whereas before you werent. So youre still helping your friend AND getting normal rewards for it. Also this was done so high levels werent burning through content so fast that other players werent engaging in combat/mechanics and making it unfun for them.

Welcome to the new era. Adjustments will be made over time and Im sure this isnt the final form of it either but enjoy yourself. GLHF
    • Like x 2
  3. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

This is always seems to me a weird caveat that people just make...

Here's an idea. Let's have both.

Just let the game be the game... and let us have fun playing it.. and reap the rewards.

"But you can't have the best of both worlds!" (Actual argument)

Why not? You are literally calling it THE BEST of both worlds... Let us have the best... in the game that we put money into... and maybe we'll have so much fun.. we'll put more into it.
    • Like x 7
  4. the solowing Steadfast Player

Because youre going to need concessions, and getting full or even partial marks for being able to blast through content 10x faster then any clamped content isnt going to work.
    • Like x 1
  5. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

Beg to differ.
    • Like x 2
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's bad design. In a situation where the devs want people playing the game as much or as long as possible, that could lead to players playing less because of no challenge or getting things faster and then logging off, or worse gaming the system instead of actually playing the game.

I've seen it here and in one other MMO, and god mode in MMOs is just a bad idea.
    • Like x 5
  7. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

I... for one..... play the game a helluva lot less than I used to.... (and spend less money)

So... that's a FAIL (for me anyways).

The thing what makes a challenge fun... is overcoming the challenge... (and being made stronger for it)

I don't need the relative same challenge over and over again... to be made weaker than I would be naturally.
    • Like x 5
  8. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I have found myself playing less. This weekend I finally ran the new raid for the first time, and it launched last week. I mean, it’s literally just a transparent cube in space. Normally I would been on my 3rd or 4th run from buying replay badges but I have no enthusiasm to do so. I enjoyed getting strong and being strong, and then going back crushing those NPCs.

Under the new system we have, (August will be 2 years now), I don’t have any motivation to work hard at playing to get the best gear anymore. Or even try to go the extra mile to get a feat. I am of course talking entirely about End Game content here, not EEG.

IDK, I’ve lost my joy at leveling up because it really doesn’t mean anything. I am getting by just find with green gear in End Game content. I haven’t even mounted the new adaptive augments for this DLC let alone begun leveling them up. Maybe I’m falling out of love with DCUO? I love my friends and league mates so much, they are like my extended family, and I always will.
    • Like x 7
  9. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

SOMEBODY, PAY ATTENTION TO THIS.

THIS IS YOUR CUSTOMERS SAYING THAT THEY ARE GIVING UP ON YOU.

^Saddest song ever.
    • Like x 5
  10. Jayk0b New Player

no, i hate this change.
    • Like x 4
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Sorry, the spacing there just bugged me for some reason. LOL

I don't think it's about giving the players a challenge. Challenge is a losing battle that begins with the first time a player finishes a piece of content. For example, I've just reached Metal Part 1 on my character rotation, and each time I run through the Mirror Master/Red Death instance it gets easier each time. The only challenge I have remaining on characters is getting the 15 Years Bad Luck feat on the first playthrough for that character, as I tend to play each character differently and have to adjust what I normally do so that I don't break too many mirrors. Besides, if the devs wanted it to remain challenging I think they wouldn't have put our CR above the CR of the NPCs we face OR allowed for any sort of bleed-through of stats from things like Artifacts or SP.

My guess would be that engagement with the content is what they were looking for more than challenge. They want players to actually play it, not just sleepwalk through it or blink at something and watch it melt. When a player is in anything near god mode, there's no challenge and a lot less engagement, and speaking for myself that gets REALLY old REALLY quick. Back when the CR differential was in place and I could walk into some older alert and raid content, I found myself getting bored. Same thing in other MMOs where I was able to go back and melt NPCs that had given me troubles before. It wasn't engaging or really all that fun. And once the boredom set in, I usually moved on to something else pretty quick, which sometimes meant logging out of the game.

Right now I think it's at a decent balance between challenge and engagement when playing older content. I still have to pay attention to what I'm doing when playing older content, so there's a little challenge, but it's not so little challenge that I'm not engaged with the content itself. Plus as I progress, I see run times of content I've played before decrease, so I am seeing results for my progression efforts.

If a player is neither engaging with nor being challenged by the content they're playing, why should they get any rewards for putting forth little to no effort on their part?
  12. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

That's why I had always suggested that if they added an option: players wouldn't unlock the option unless they 1) did the instance before/got headline and 2) reached EEG or EG. Omnibus wouldn't have the option available, so it would work as normal.
    • Like x 3
  13. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

I respect your willingness to keep throwing hands in the face of it all. You might even be a green lantern one day... but sometimes you just need to accept that you're done. You have one leg, three fingers, and half a lung.

They aren't going to give you what you want for sitting here and crying about it. You have to get out of bed and suffer like the rest of us. Sorry.
  14. myandria Item Storage

Hmm..

I think you are finding your "cruise control" as far as DCUO. I've been playing the game similar to what you are experiencing now for many years. I have yet to finish feats in Infernal Kandaq and I haven't fully level up those augments or the OP head piece. Why? Because I don't have to "keep up with the crowd" to enjoy playing this game. I can complete feats when I want to. I don't have to beat myself up in an Elite raid to feel "relevant" as a player. At this point of my gaming experiences I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself, and I don't have to stress too much about doing that, either. There are many ways to enjoy playing an MMO.

So, you are not "falling out of love" with DCUO in my opinion. I suggest allowing your instinct to guide you and cut back on your playing time as you recently have been doing; you will be more inclined to participate in an episode/event that you like when they come around. For example, I always put in the extra effort for the Spring and Halloween seasonal events as they are my favorites. I also suggest taking a small break to refresh and renew your perspective about this game.
    • Like x 3
  15. Trexlight Devoted Player

Im certainly a fan of having it Optional like in FF14 but you can't have the best of both worlds here. Its give and take. Its balance. You shouldn't be rewarded when you can one shot stuff. You one shotting stuff also shouldnt be a hinderance to the group. What we have now is still playable (except Lost SOuls!!!!) and its better for longevity. If youre looking only at the now, yeah I guess it sucks for ya. But if you're looking at it from the grand design, this is better.
    • Like x 1
  16. Trexlight Devoted Player

This^. Its absolutely the Cruise Control mentality. I stopped playing almost maybe 3 weeks after SoBA launch and now Im currently back for Shock but Im sure in a couple of weeks, I'll be out again. Its really, you can only do the repeated missions over and over again before it gets stale. Stat Clamp didnt make this happen, its been like this since honestly Amazon Fury Part 3 when this format came about. It worked/works to some degree. Every MMO certainly has the repeatedness and you're gonna hit Cruise Control at some point but the pength of time get there varies heavily and here, you get to it quicker. Im not hating on DCUO and obviously Im here for the EPisodes, eff the Time Capsules, and I have fun for a small amount of time. Until i get bored and then Im waiting for the next Episode. Now of course I have the Omnibus to run which is great but do I ever feel weaker in it? No. Still doing impressive damage. I care about my Stats in Current Content. Everyone sees themselves getting better gear to be stronger....for older content? Thats backwards thinking. THATS a failure of Progression this game presents and my good BumblingB and others have said loudly. I get gear in this Episode to be stronger for this Episode and the ones that are considered End Game. No one should have the though "I need to get current Episode gear so I can beat FoS1".
    • Like x 1
  17. KidKretz Committed Player

the funny thing is, there are plenty that were pro-clamp and very active defending it on the forums, that have now left the game. completely quit despite getting what they wanted.

reminds me of real life, where we get a new boss, they come in, make all kinds of terrible changes, chase away the good employees, then they leave, leaving us with no staff and horrible changes to deal with....

i acknowledge that prior to the clamp, there was a small voice on the forums that wanted to run thru content without someone who is super strong and they wanted to feel the way the content was at release. however, all the clamp did was a complete 180. it solved nothing. now those players happy while others now are not. and several did leave the game or drop memberships due to the clamp. no denying that.

has it helped ppl with source marks? absolutely. no denying that either.

in the end, its their game, they can do what they want. i just wish they would continue to fine tune this all in decision they went with. the clamp can stay, but adjustments for certain content still needs to be made :(
    • Like x 5
  18. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

I've mostly stayed out of this discussion, because I don't have a horse in this race. I don't care one way or the other about the clamp. But I have to point something out: Fine, you give up. You hate the game and you quit, right? But you and the other hypothetical players who are quitting because of the clamp are not the only players. The devs have to weigh what you want versus all the people who would be quitting if they didn't do something about players being able to cheese content.

They are never going to be able to please everyone. The only thing they can do is try to find some compromise between the people who want to blow through every raid in 10 seconds flat, and the people who want there to still be a challenge. A good compromise would be cases where the clamp would be optional, right? Yet, even that can't be agreed on. People on both sides of the clamp argument have said "No, it should only be the way I want it."

Is it any wonder the devs don't do anything about it? No matter what they do, they've got people screaming "You've ruined the game! I'm gonna quit!"
  19. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

That's why I'm more about options that make everybody (or optimally the most as possible) happy....
  20. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

And the same people who will point out that there were several threads from people making the complaint that those who were "overpowered" (because they faithfully played the game for years) are "ruining their experience" as a justification for the clamp... are the same people who complain that there are now too many "The clamp sucks" threads every other day.
    • Like x 2