40th Episode Free to All

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Mar 30, 2021.

1. FoolsFire Devoted Player

2. valiant Villian Well-Known Player

I pay 15 dollars a month to have access to all content. Since this new content is going to be free, compensate me. I want special gifts for members only.
  3. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Hmm thinking back, wasnt the death of Superman dlc permanent free?
    • Like x 3
  4. Solarbound Committed Player

A restructuring of the membership plan or rather the business model as a whole is something that has been needed within this game for the longest time. A lot of that is due to certain aspects of it feeling outdated, not necessarily keeping up with the way the game has supposedly progressed. It would be a great direction to go if all playable content moving forward were to be made free, while having greater emphasis placed upon other various items to be sold within the marketplace, and of course membership perks to follow that feel refreshed. But, honestly, this is great news to hear. Probably the best thing I've heard in a while regarding this game. +1 to you guys for that decision.
    • Like x 2
  5. Eve YouTuber

Late to the party but happy to hear that, can't wait to see what the new member benefits will be.
    • Like x 4
  6. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Uhh they dont need to compensate u for anything. "You hereby agree not to assert and/or bring any cause of action, claim and/or suit against Daybreak, our affiliates, and/or our licensors and suppliers arising out of and/or related to (a) any claim that you own any Virtual Currency, digital downloads, or Virtual Items, (b) any claim for the "value" of any Virtual Currency, game cards, digital downloads, or Virtual Items, (c) any claim for the loss of any "value" of any Virtual Currency, game cards, digital downloads, or Virtual Items arising out of and/or related to any acts or omissions of Daybreak, our affiliates, our service providers, and/or our licensors and suppliers which is/are permitted under the Daybreak Terms of Service and/or any other Daybreak policy, and/or (d) any claim that the "value" of any Virtual Currency, game cards, digital downloads, or Virtual Items has diminished in value as a result of any modification that Daybreak, our affiliates, our service providers, and/or our licensors made to any Daybreak Game(s) or Daybreak Game(s) related services."
    • Like x 4
  7. Proxystar #Perception

Event, not a DLC.
    • Like x 2
  8. Vicious Well-Known Player

Nah, I just wanted you to admit your hypocrisy, which you gladly did.

But they didn't take out the meat patty. You walked into the restaurant looking to buy a Big Mac, a 20-piece of nuggets, a junior chicken sandwich and a large McFlurry. They gave you a fries and a drink for free. They then allowed the next customer to walk in and get a single breadless meat patty for free while telling you that they're working on revising the price of everything you like on their menu to make it even more enticing on your next visit. You decided to spend the rest of your visit complaining about the other guy who getting a free meat patty while stuffing your face with fries and talking about how unfair the manager of McDonald's is.
    • Like x 1
  9. thedemonocus Loyal Player

So does this mean no more event versions of new content? I like the event versions ,they are nice when you just want to get quick marks or level up new toons.
  10. SilkyPawz Bunny

You must love McDonalds, you Hamburgular you .....

[IMG]
    • Like x 6
  11. Proxystar #Perception

Oh no, you caught me, I walked right in to your trap...

[IMG]

Look, I appreciate you have a differing view, but yours is an opinion of which you're no less entitled to than I am mine. It is not hypocritical to express disappointment at something simply because something "positive" happened at some stage in the past.

At no point have I expressed a lack of appreciation for previous things, (despite the fact they're debatable by the way we could argue the merits of a gambling system actually being a perk, but we'll keep things brief), I've expressed disappointment that something has been removed (which it has, whether you like it or not) and there was a lack of detail surrounding how membership perks would be changed in the future. Have you ever heard the expression, cart before the horse? That's what I personally believe this is. There could have at least been some sort of partial plan or perhaps even a discussion thread about future perks could have been put up at the same time.

It appears you believe people are fundamentally prohibited from ever complaining or being critical "simply because of things in the past" .. We're all entitled to our perspective on this matter and by the looks of this thread neither of us are certainly alone in our views, but I suppose it suits you to suggest everyone in disagreement is just a hypocrite, it certainly makes it easier to dismiss those views I'm sure.

Mepps asked in this thread for feedback, people are giving it and we're not all going to agree on the topic, Mepps wouldn't have asked for feedback if he didn't expect differing views, he'd have simply announced it and locked the thread.
    • Like x 2
  12. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Oh I new this time would come. Allllll the years ppl argue with me calling me stupid that this will and need to happened. And the same ppl that was against it years ago all the sudden for it
    And I'm just like

[IMG]
  13. LightningEl_ Level 30

This is great news. I see some here don't understand what this means and how good it is for the future growth of the player base

A major reason for the player base not growing is gated content they just usually drop off after playing what they can while some actively avoid games like this. There are other ways to monetize the game now like the Time Capsules

A benefit that could replace the content access in the membership I suggest is some free stabilizers. I'm sure there's other options too that I cant think of right now

Overall awesome move
    • Like x 2
  14. Dene Devoted Player

Now i'm just scared.. will it affect lifetime membership ?
  15. LightningEl_ Level 30

Okay I have some second thoughts after rereading this so your saying ONLY Episode 40 is Free

Well I gotta say now this change is pointless as all top tier players are most likely already paying memberships

This change will have no impact to player base unless all episodes are free for everyone so there is no payment wall for playing content. I see no point in making this change from this view you guys might wanna reconsider this to include all episodes to be free

Everyone having access to all the content has alot of benefits to the population and faster queues and groups being made for everyone to enjoy the content there at with monetization in other places

If you guys know about what people on the outside say about this game they normally say to avoid playing because the content is gated. It becomes very clear why am saying this even if the intent is oh well they gotta make money somehow. Well I say if there are ways to not gate content and monetize else where do it. some games in this genre is already in that boat so expect it to be compared to this conclusion
  16. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

I'm optimistic and looking forward to the Membership revamps I guess? Been keeping my subs going for years so any progress to the game is wanted I'm sure for both Daybreak and us the players. If the free episode gets more players to DCUO well more the merrier. It might seem like an odd time to drop this on us but it seems but hopefully even if this seems like a bit of an inconvenience for Legendary, Premium and Lifetime members it'll probably be good in the longrun. I just re upped for April so I'm in anyways regardless.
    • Like x 3
  17. Jafin 10000 Post Club

No, it doesn't mean that. Event versions will still exist.
    • Like x 2
  18. Kaladin Well-Known Player

All I can say is that I hope whatever perks they add for legendary status better be worth it. Membership always gave early DLC access, then they took that away. It always meant we got all new content as part of the cost, then they made the new one accessible to everyone every time. Now you are going to completely toss that with DLC's being free? At the cheapest membership is 120 a year with an annual renewal. Part of me wants to tell my friends that quit and hope it brings them back, but the part that works hard for my money wants to know what I am going to be getting out if it now? Will keep watching and hoping it will feel worth the cost.
    • Like x 1
  19. Warmonger Wayne Level 30

Members mad... that's new! :rolleyes:

Anyway, my thoughts:

I subscribed only a few times. My playing time do not justifies the month fee for me. So I always went with the other option: buying DLCs to level at my own pace (and even having spent a lot of money to unlock DLCs, powers, and other sutff, I never got mad about open episodes). Yet, because of that, I always suffered with the 'trade game', that other important part of DCUO. But I always manage to have my sutff, even if I have to spend days not playing, but only trying to trade.

Members complaining about the free DLC got their reasons, of course, but membership is way more than open episodes and they know it. Don't lie telling you won't resub only because of that. It's really shameful.

I do believe, though, DCUO needs a huge update in its business model.

Open episodes is cool. The way things were done during those chaotic times was very nice. But there should be a limit. Like: we have 40 episodes, make the first 20 free, not the rest. As new DLCs get launched, one of the old ones goes free. Example: 41th goes live, 21th goes free, and on, and on, and on.

Aside from that, free mode should be kept as it is right now. Because, well, it's free.

Premium, like I said several other times, it's the most unfair class in DCUO system. Take players like myself, for example, that spend a lot, bought lots of stuff and played the game for years. We have the same limitations, no matter if we spent 500 or just 5 bucks. Premium should be divided in categories. The more you unlock, the more you get. The cash limit is dumb. I mean, there must be one, sure. But 3k is a disrespectful joke. When they increased from 2 to 3, that felt even worse. We can't even pay repairs for the highest gear, Jesus! When the game was launched, 2k was enough. But that was ages ago.
    Create Premium Tiers. You spend X dollar you unlock Y cash limit. Or, each bought DLC raises your cash limit a bit more. That's the only change I believe is needed. Because that really impacts the playing time. And some Premium players really put money in this game. So we deserve a bit more respect.

Members have enough. The crying about a free DLC is just a spoiled child tantrum. I'll just paste from the website in case some of them can't remember:
    • Access to all DLC Packs
    • 150 Free Replay Badges Monthly
    • Unlimited Prometheum Lockbox Unlocks
    • Unlimited in-game currency
    • More Inventory Slots
    • Free daily Vault Access
    • Form a League
    • 14 Additional character slots
    • 20 Broker slots
    • 36 Additional Bank slots
    • Trade items and cash
    But yeah, they can be mad about open episodes. They have the right. But if the company decides do give a DLC for free to everyone, just take it. All the subscription benefits remain the same. I just think we should set this to something like I suggested before. Repeating:
    We have 40 episodes, make the first 20 free, not the rest. As new DLCs get launched, one of the old ones goes free. Example: 41 goes live, 21 goes free, and on, and on, and on.

DCUO is a great game. And it will always mantain a good amount of players. But we already passed the time to implement some changes. I just hope they do it right. Because the last big change, the market currency update, just send a lot of players away. But that's another discussion.
    • Like x 1
  20. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I just want to throw in a couple of corrections here. We didn't "always" get early access to DLC with membership. It was there for a while, not even from the beginning, and they always made crystal clear that it was not an official membership perk and that it was a bonus they could provide every now and then. While all new content has been accessible for free to all players for a while now, it's the event version of the content. That means that a lot of feats are still locked behind membership/buying the episode, as well as the regular/elite versions of said content being locked behind a paywall. As far as I'm aware the new styles and OP items are also only accessible by people who either own the episode or have membership.

I get the points of both sides. Some of us see all content being free in the future as a good thing, as it gets more people into the endgame population, but I also understand why people are upset that something that is part of their membership is being given away for free. Everyone has their own opinions about it and that's a good thing, because opinions and how people feel about it will likely factor into what the devs decide to do going forward.

Would it have been better if they had laid out what the future plans for membership updates are in this post? Absolutely, I don't deny that one bit. Unfortunately that has not happened and people are free to decide whether or not they want to continue subbing. Of course that isn't really an option for people who are on multi-month or yearly subs so I also get the frustration of those people who actually can't decide to not renew their membership during this period. Like you I am also hopeful that the membership updates coming this summer are worth it. Only time will tell. Hopefully players will get some input before it all goes live.
    • Like x 2