40th Episode Free to All

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

[IMG]

WORLD OF FLASHPOINT IS FREE

We have exciting news about our upcoming 40th episode: World of Flashpoint! This episode will be free to all players, permanently.

As we look to this Summer, we are planning a major Membership update, and right now we want to explore a world where our content is not gated by purchase.

You may be wondering, why make World of Flashpoint free now if we haven't also updated Membership? It is a fair question.

We want to see how this works for World of Flashpoint and for you, and we also don't want to sell you an episode now and then give it away to everyone a few months later. We absolutely understand that access to all episodes is an important part of the value of Membership, and that this will be accounted for in our Membership update if we continue in this direction.

For now, though, get ready to enjoy World of Flashpoint for free and with all of your friends, who won't need to make a purchase either. EPISODE 40: WORLD OF FLASHPOINT will launch FOR FREE in April 2021 on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

Your feedback is important to us, so please join the discussion and ask questions below!

----

There is a lot of merit in wanting the membership update before a free episode, but ultimately we decided that we wanted to give away our 40th for free and learn more about what that membership update could/should be.

There are issues either way, and we see this single-free-episode as an opportunity to get your feedback and make a new membership offering better than it might otherwise have been.

Let me clarify a few things:
    • This only impacts Episode 40. Full access to every other episode still requires purchase or membership.
    • This doesn't change the structure or content of this or any future episodes.
    • We are looking forward to sharing and discussing the future membership update once it exists in a more concrete form.
    Also, current membership benefits include far more than just access to episode 40 - access to all episodes, $10 in currency grants, unlimited cash cap, slots, and much more.

Paying for membership during 40 vs. during 39 gets you the exact same experience - it's just others who are not paying also have access to this one episode - and you will perhaps have more friends to play with.

All that is to say, there's quite a difference between what we are doing with 40 - not requiring a purchase for one episode - versus what some of the comments seem to imply - as if we are removing episode access from membership and requiring some other purchase elsewhere to have the same benefit, which is not at all what is happening.
    • Like x 50
  2. Wildcat Committed Player

[IMG]

thanks!
    • Like x 2
  3. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Explain the difference between how it currently is with open episodes/events vs how you are saying it will be. Also does this mean open episodes is ending?

What i took away from it is that there will no longer be an event version instead everyone can run the regular version, am I correct? Also id like to take a moment to advocate for the event version, I personally use the event to farm source marks on my boosted toons so that i can buy catalyst ( you guys really need to fix the fortify system) and eliminating the event version will make the artifact grind even more rough for anyone whos like me that keeps characters below cr so that we can farm source marks.
  4. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Very interesting. If something as major as all future content updates being free continues then I'm excited to see what you all have planned to make up the membership price. Everyone having access to all content going forward is definitely a positive for the population in my eyes. I hope it works out.
    • Like x 13
  5. The Mighty Heap New Player

Wooo one more reason not to pay for a subscription. this is super great and saves me cash every month,
    • Like x 1
  6. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  7. zNot Loyal Player

Episode 40 livestream not today? :-(

Also... not sure if i will resub to DC if the episode is free but its interesting. If the Episode is REALLY good i will for sure stay a member not for a mediocore episode that is free...

either way but the main reason for me was having acces to the difficult content such as the Elite stuff. Since event versions were free anyways i dont think this is a big change for freeplayers its mainly something that questions us if we should keep on sub or not.
    • Like x 2
  8. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Saw this coming from a mile away. Good move.
    • Like x 3
  9. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

The event version isn't just there for free players. Its there for new players to the game who just started or who haven't reached end game yet so they can get a taste of the newest episode. So i imagine it will be staying
    • Like x 4
  10. Proxystar #Perception

As a paying member this is incredibly disappointing, it feels like you have had years to improve the quality of the membership system but have seemingly never got around to it.

It feels like your always happy to take things away from members, diminishing its value first but not the other way around and this has been happening for ages now in the form of perpetually existent open episodes, a significant part of membership was always DLC access, but that's been long gone with seemingly zero change for over a year now...

With moves like this it gets harder and harder to argue that people aren't just paying $15 a month give or take simply for a cash cap.

I get what you're trying to do here, but when your paying members are your most loyal and you're taking stuff away before at least putting some things in it leaves a bit of a sour taste, especially when we're told you plan to improve membership but don't tell us how and don't really tell us when...
    • Like x 16
  11. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Thank you!

I need more information regarding the membership side though. What will make up for this in terms of membership? Will the price change per month?

(this may encourage players to unsubscribe from the game if episodes become free)

What will become of Open Episodes and the event version situation? Will there be any changes?

Will this affect anything else in regards to future episodes? (amount of content, difficulty, rewards etc.)
    • Like x 2
  12. nawanda Loyal Player

I understand the rationale for piloting a free episode model. The only part missing from this announcement is the part where Members are given an incentive to renew their rolling subscription during the life of the new episode.

There has to be some incentive to be a member during this period, surely? Even if it’s an exclusive aura or something? Or are we just taken for granted? I’ve been a member for six years without interruption, explain to me why I’m not an idiot for letting my sub renew next month.
    • Like x 10
  13. Shark Dental Devoted Player

This is great for the game as a whole.

Feels bad for players who purchased lifetime subs though. At least I would think so.
    • Like x 2
  14. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I am not sure where I saw it maybe in one of the survival mode live streams where they were watching player's they talked about event versions were still going to be apart of episode 40 including Elite versions and regular versions.
    • Like x 1
  15. zNot Loyal Player

Lets see if the increase of freeplayers during this episode can make up for the loss of membership subsciptions this will cause for the next few months..
  16. SilkyPawz Bunny

That's me right there ^^^ lol so um yeah :eek:o_O
    • Like x 4
  17. SocratesGS Well-Known Player

So you're going to de-incentivize people to pay for membership until Episode 41 comes out... smart move. I can only imagine that onslaught of loot box items coming our way on an accelerated timeline now to help offset the loss of memberships.
    • Like x 3
  18. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Only until they roll out the updated membership benefits.
    • Like x 4
  19. zNot Loyal Player

Also alot of freeplayers with no skill and little experience of their roll and low artifacts 240 skillpoints will cry about the difficulty on Elite content just watch.
    • Like x 2
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

There won't be as many sub drops as you think....at least not for those who are active Broker dealers.
    • Like x 2