40th Episode Free to All

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Mar 30, 2021.

1. El El Committed Player

I hope we get better perks finally.
    • Like x 3
  2. Engendro Nefasto Well-Known Player

No loot locks for members...that would be nice!!!
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'd guess there will still be an 'event' version for players who are too low to run 'regular' content (probably CR 321+). The difference will be for anyone over 321+ they will be able to run reg and elite whether they are a member or not. That's exactly the same as legion or any previous DLC, minus the $10 DLC purchase as we are getting it for free this time. I'd figure your source farmers (I have a bunch too) are still going to be able to farm.

If they went the other way with no event it would be a callback to pre-AF3 (I think) when DLC launches were out of reach of any toons not at the proper level...so a possibility I guess, but doubtful.
    • Like x 1
  4. Control Creed Well-Known Player

IDK, as someone who has done long stretches of membership, AND long stretches of premium purchases of content... it could be a really good move IF the benefits of membership are increased in some way.

If upper levels of game competency is gated with the artifact system, more substantial rewards of say seals catalysts would probably entice people to keep up their membership rather than just purchase additional inventory slots etc.

If this is aimed at getting more people to play, I think alternating the open world episodes with old school duo / solo / iconic solo content (I'd like to see some iconic duos as well). The issue as I see it now is that when everyone is done spamming open world content the interest is gone, two duos give as many marks or more and you have the variety of playing with many different people with different powersets / strategies. The open world thing ends up just being "pew pew pickup, pew pew pickup" pretty quickly.

I think the idea of adding little wrinkles like rewards, feats and mechanics to duos like they have done with open world stuff could extend the life of such content, it's a real drag begging people to join a group to complete open world stuff compared to duos that have fast popping queues for the entire relevancy window.

I'm not sure what the new rewards are going to be for membership, but the rewards must be stepped up if people don't need to buy or be a member for the latest release because, people are spamming and bouncing constantly right now.

The amount of open events compared to the constant old school monthly drops of content kinda makes membership irrelevant if you enjoy that kind of thing. That where I think something like a membership locked iconic duo where you queue as one of the two characters in a reworked old duo that rewards artifact food and seals might be the trick, people love grinding for OP artifacts for some reason...
    • Like x 2
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

yes...I'm saying I know very few people (other than PVPers) who are really 'free'. Again, I don't have numbers, but in the wild I'm not sure I've ever met one...save people who were just starting out or farmer 'alt' accounts. That's why I said there are no real 'free' accounts. Yes I know there is a 'free' tier...but no one stays in it for long that I've ever met or heard of.

Personally I've always believed it's dumb to play this game and not spend the $5 at least, and once you break that seal...well, dropping money on this game can be easy if you want...most do.
  6. Proxystar #Perception

Daily lockouts is not a membership perk.

But i have to laugh at your spin... it's next level...

The introduced open episodes with a longer loot lock because they knew full well giving everything away for free wouldn't go down well...

Never has daily loot locks been sold as a perk, it's the default status introducing a slightly worse position in open episodes doesn't make the prevailing normality a true perk.

That's nothing but BS spin you'd expect from the likes of a politician when they want to make what you've always had seem somehow more appealing, calling that a perk is embarrasing and laughable.
    • Like x 3
  7. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

The thing about loot locks is, it takes away from the player experience with your league and friends, and joining in whatever they are doing. You want to help someone but also gain progression while helping or just simply having fun with your friends and league. Once your loot locked u have 3 choices jump on next toon or play pvp, and we know what that's like, so option 3 would be to play another game till reset happens, and I don't think thats right at all not a good way for the game to grow and keep everyone active. I think so far this is a good direction I definitely seen this coming for years now
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I think 'Daily vault runs' is actually in the membership description. However I think he's more referring to the 'extended' loot locks that a premium/f2p with open eps has that a member/owner does not. 2 weeks for raids, 1 week for alerts and 3 days for duos....which membership does provide an advantage over...worth a lot of money? Well, no, not really...but it's as much of a perk as opening promethium boxes, access to all powers and any other 'perk' out there IF its the one you want.

I get your point, it is the norm...so not an added 'perk', but assuming some version of open eps is coming permanently, it is likely going to be listed as one of the membership benefits.

Also, if you really believe the membership is being devalued by the open or 100% free eps, I'd say drop the sub when the next DLC comes out. If they see the numbers drastically drop off they might re-think the decision. It's a free market. Dropping sub will speak louder than coming in here to post a message. If you read the posts in here over the last year, most members say the membership is not worth it anyway...only that the cash cap is what they pay for...so maybe DBG is just responding to that sentiment.
    • Like x 3
  9. Proxystar #Perception

Loot locks are in place to slow progress, replays make substantial money, removing loot locks would not only entirely eliminate that revenue stream but would entirely undermine controlled progression.

At the moment there's already people spamming completion with badges if you eliminate that financial barrier, everyone will be done in a day and then they'll just all leave, or alternatively progression will just blow out so hard that even without lockouts what you buy will account for the mark yield increase.

With respect you're living in fantasy land, your model doesn't work, if you want to play with friends you can already do that if you put aside your self centered desire to obtain gain from every instance you run and just run locked for fun ;)
    • Like x 1
  10. Proxystar #Perception

Yea I'm not talking about the vault, I'm talking about the normal loot locks.

My point being introducing a nerfed loot lock in open episodes doesn't make the status quo a perk, suggesting so is incredibly disingenuous and is again akin to political spin.

In terms of my membership, I have no intention of canceling, I appreciate that might provide Daybreak with comfort that I'm fine with what they're doing here, but at the same time I am going to express my disappointment.

The same would occur with any product i purchase where something happens I don't like, giving feedback doesn't by any means ever have to mean cutting ties

I think being honest in that way while also giving critical feedback is far more appreciated than feedback going in hand with a pretend threat to cancel membership when we all know they'll never go through with it.
    • Like x 1
  11. Akaiko Well-Known Player

I would just like to point out the following as a FTP that was a member for 3 years and is currently premium.

I now have Birds of Prey for free due to the 290 CR skip (that I haven't used yet) in January 2021. Birds of Prey was the first DLC of 2020.

I have had Justice League Dark for free due to the 255 CR skip (that I have used) in January 2020. Justice League Dark was the first DLC of 2019.

I also have access to a couple of other episodes for free due to different CR skips but I don't remember exactly when they were.

Assuming that we're still going to get a CR skip for free during the anniversary event in January 2022 and the recent pattern was going to hold, many of us are only getting Flashpoint for free earlier by several months.

I'm only pointing out the above since many of the complaints I see are about this episode being free, when I personally was expecting it to become free anyway in January 2022.

As a premium who can afford to re-subscribe at basically a moment's notice*, the official notification of the revamping of membership has my attention. If episode access was enough of a perk for me, I'd still be a paying member. I'm extremely curious what the plan is for the new perks. There have been some great suggestions made in the Gotham City forum over the years. I am hoping some of my favorites make it. If we could choose our benefits that would be great, but I don't know if that could be implemented at all. So, I'm just hoping that there is a bit more variety in the perks and not just increasing the amount of loyalty points and replay badges given (as I'm guessing those will probably be increased).

*As I refuse to pay with credit cards, I have to have advance notice to have time to pick up some gift cards to get my wallet to have the correct amount of funds to afford annual membership. I don't pay monthly when annual is an option for anything.
    • Like x 1
  12. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Sounds good. Dlc have had event mode for maybe 2 years now and i still buy them, not sure what people are talking about in this thread. This is a good change.

Im hoping you guys will go the battlepass route as well and cut out the gambling that is time capsules. That way we have a 100% chance at finishing collections, 100% at getting gear and 100% for the material. No there wont be rare stuff anymore,, but look through this thread.. do you really wanna feed these peoples egos? Id recommend trying a battlepass once just give it a try.
  13. Zenphon1 New Player

I for one welcome this news as i am a premium player with all content bought without membership, max inventory and bank slots so i dont feel the need to buy membership, although i wish they would give a few perks to premium players who have spent a certain amount of money on the game like V.I.P benefits such as bonus cash cap of 5000 as premium after buying 3 episodes or spending 30 dollars or giving free items exclusive to spending a certain amount of money on the game.
  14. C3alix Committed Player

Can I assume members will be getting bonuses throughout the DLC, like being able to acquire more marks, daily's and weekly's switched to hourly's and daily's, larger renown, "members weekly" events, and easier access to styles?
    • Like x 1
  15. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

16. inferno Loyal Player

I think this is a good idea.

Strangely, enough my subscription is ending on the first week of April and this is the first in many years that I would have to end up paying full price for the annual fee. I wondered briefly if I should sub for a whole year or just wait for another sale on membership, which was very disappointing that it did not occur last year.

So giving the next episode for free? Sure, why not. In fact, as a paying member, I think the last year's decision to allow players access to all DLC's ended up for the better for the game. So I'd vote yes to continuing that as well.

As for my subscription, I just had to be honest. I'm with dcuo until the servers shut down. We are stuck together like Poo and Honey. So I can only hope that you will justify membership costs beyond what we are getting now. I can tell you a few things that should be included in Membership:
    Seals of Completion, and Seals of Preservation.
    Increased bonus of the Nth metal drop on the vault.
    Maybe increased drop rates on rare items?
    Bigger discount? or probably better would be higher loyalty points.
    Cr skips?

I'm sure beyond the discussion of giving the episodes free to keep and increase a higher population, a better discussion would be how to incentivize people to pay for membership.

p.s. that should be Pooh with an "H" because You can't have Pooh the Bear without thinking of Honey. Which is completely the wrong way around with Poo and Honey. Soo... Umm, yeah.
    • Like x 1
  17. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

There definitely needs to be something for members with this new episode if it's been given away for free. I know they're promising a revamp of membership benefits but let's be real we don't have a date or any info on what to expect so it's about as set in stone as a fix for PVP is .
  18. xxsniperxxjacob Level 30

I for one think this is a welcome change. Although i wish they would make changes for premium players who spend alot of money on the game like me. I have all content bought, max inventory and bank slots and have spent thousands of dollars on the game if they added V.I.P or something like it at certain levels like buying 3 episodes 10 dollars a piece you gain an extra 2000 cash cap raising your max cash to 5k as premium. Rewarding exclusive items or perks to players who are committed to playing the game i believe would be a welcome change.
  19. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

no mebership needed ? this episode is free permanently well that sounds great for me i personally got a membership but i dont see a problem in this idk if thats a one in a lifetime thing i hope not tbh with that episode but for me i stay behinnd that idea 100%

bcs a membership should give us cosmetic exclusive stuff but not stuff that changes the game can only say nice go on like that ;)
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

They were in the middle of the stats matter revamp. Originally there wasn't going to be a new episode for at least half a year if not longer. People threatened to drop their subs off of that announcement, quite a few did. If you look back on that episode drop you'll also notice the higher-than-usual increased prices for that episode because they needed it to last longer as they worked on the stats revamp.
    • Like x 1