Star Wars, The Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Anyone who was a fan of "Willow" should read the follow up book(s)
  2. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

3. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

I heard that Ehrenreich just let loose that there are 2 more Solo films after this one. You think that's a good idea?
  4. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Not quite.

What Ehrenreich mostly confirmed was that he signed a 3 picture deal. That's a fairly standard deal in Hollywood, basically it secures the actor with all the pay and other stuff set if any sequels get made. It doesn't mean LucasFilms was planning for any sequels, just that they are keeping the possibility open.

I feel Solo is going to be fun but the way people are already putting what/who they want to see above the reality of what we actually know about the movie, I can see the backlash just over the horizon.

More Solo movies isn't a bad thing per say but I'm not sure it's a necessary thing. I'm kind of in the middle on this, I do like seeing stories about the character I know but I would like to see more of the SW galaxy as well.
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

As long as they tell the story(s) well, then that, to me, is what matters, even if they go against what was already told (and yes, those other stories are legitimate, not fan-fiction, what we have now are alternates, and they are both valid)
  6. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I see that you have come to the calm state of "as long as the stories are told well", so I will happily avoid the debate you brought up in quotes.:D
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Have always felt that way, it's not me who keeps vomiting out tripe about the Thrawn trilogy being fan-fiction
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It was never official, top-level canon, either though. Great as the Thrawn trilogy is (along with Zahn's other SW books), there was never a guarantee of any sort that it would be how the saga played out in any future top-level canon projects. Even if Lucas hadn't sold to Disney and had gone on to make a new trilogy, he could have ignored every project (book, comic, game) set in the post-ROTJ time period in the same way Disney ignored/set aside those works.

As much as I liked and preferred the depiction and representation of Mandalore and Mandalorians in the Karen Traviss Republic Commando books, the vast majority of that was ignored in Mandalore's depiction in the Clone Wars series. That's the prerogative of the person/company who owns the license: they get to make the rules.
  9. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Of course it wasn't "top level" because the only "top level"/only real canon was the movies, which George later added the Clone Wars cartoon series.

There was a complete guaranty that the Thrawn trilogy and ever other book ever written in the EU would never be made into movies by George Lucas.

George Lucas not "could have ignored" but WOULD have ignored everything that he did not write himself.
  10. Helderman Dedicated Player

I'm gonna watch it solely because i love Emilia Clarke
  11. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Is it truly fan-fiction? No, not really but in a loosest interpretation it could be viewed that way.

George Lucas stated main times that nothing he didn't do himself or had involvement in was canon. So all other SW writings and content fall into the category of not being official material (not canon), which then gets near the fan-fiction area but in a licensed context.

I have been a bit harsh on George Lucas for the mess he allowed to happen with the EU but in reality there wasn't any precedent for canon as we know it now back then.

The use of the word canon originated as a reference to scripture, known as Biblical canon, those books that were accepted to the narrative of a religion, with non-canon being called Apocrypha. The term was first used for fiction to refer to all the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels written by Sr. Arthur Conan Doyle to contrast with a many works by other authors after him.

The fiction version pretty much stayed within the book community context until it started getting applied to Star Wars and Star Trek and has now expanded further.

So when Lucas started selling licenses for books and such he didn't have a thought about people thinking of what was and wasn't canon, to him it was never a question that only his stuff was the real/only story but by the time it became something to think about it was far to late. From the look of it LucasFilms didn't even create the canonicity department until 2000, they had always tracked/cataloged every storyline and content but it wasn't until then that they started defining what was what. And so began the Holocron, with it's five tired system, run by Leland Chee.
  12. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

That's literally the 50% of the people who are going to go watch it. Rest are true Star Wars fans.
  13. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

This is cool but I was kind of hoping for it to be closer to RotJ than TFA. Thought I guess it makes sense the other shows were designed to end just before a time connected movie.

You can skip to 2:18, before that is the narrator doing an ad for their sponsor.

Other than the obvious of it being fiction and needs to be familiar to us the viewers, I believe its the plateau concept. That galaxy got to a point of no longer needing to advance beyond quality of life things. Major developments would still happen but in a calmer more spaced out fashion, similar to how things went in our own history prior to the 1900s.
  14. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

I'm debating of not even attempting to watch Star Wars Resistance. I couldn't bear to watch Rebels especially since I finished Clone Wars (Easily the best Star Wars TV Show so far). Rebels was just so... primitive. Everything from the plot to the animation to the dialogue. Then again, it was made for kids so...

So Resistance is a no go for me. Or at least, I'll see in the first 15 min or so...
  15. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Ooo, Mr Kasdan is the screenwriter, he's the one responsible for the greatest Star Wars movie, so this will be good

And Ms Clarke can make even a fuzzy pink sweater look hot ;)

Really need to locate the replica gun of Solo's and see if the batteries still work (or, more likely, need replacing)
    • Like x 1
  17. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

They should've had Solo release on May 4th. I'm honestly really surprised they didn't do that. I think they got pushed back due to the director change.
  18. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

There's the little issue of May 4th being this Friday which places that at the second weekend for IW.

Considering the box office numbers it just got, do you really think any movie studio wants to open on that date with a movie of a similar viewer base?

That said, May 25th has always been Solo's release date, which was announced back in 2015. That's a holiday weekend, so they were betting on higher traffic for it.

This could very well show how good Ron Howard really is if he pulls this off with all he had to re-do.
    • Like x 1
  19. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Oh yeah, I never thought about that.:D
    • Like x 1
  20. ThunderGunExpress Well-Known Player

Ron Howard narrates "Star Wars: A New Hope" :

On the Next Episode : Ron Howard narrates "Avatar" :

[IMG]