Been practicing, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Feb 19, 2016.

1. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thank you for the comments and likes friend. Very glad to see you back around these parts. You were missed. The girl was not giving Bern a cookie. that would be funny though. The small drawing doesn't really allow for seeing it too well, but she is pointing at him. My hope in this process of drawing pages is to hand them off to a digital colorist at some point and let them have some fun with the negative space on the pages and then use a program like Comic Life 3 to go back and add dialogue and captions. The 'Meh' feeling will pass and if I am being honest, it is probably due to me not being able to sit down and draw as much as I would like, stupid busy day job.

Are you suggesting I add a panel of one of the thugs pissing himelf? I could work that into the next page or so. I am working on one that transitions to the girl post encounter with Bern where she learns of who the city "thinks" he is.

Anywho, glad you are back around here. Hope you are doing well and looking forward to reading comments and posts from you.
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah, pissing (and crapping) themselves would be a natural response for lower-than-pond-excrement like them upon 'meeting' Bern :)
    As you know, don't like critiquing too badly, but her finger seems a little too thick for the rest of her, so maybe you could change it to her offering a cookie (he does seem to be declining, must be on a diet or something :p)
    • Like x 1
  3. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Yeah, I agree with you on their response in the 'meeting'. I could change the panel some. I do have white out I could use. That panel particularly is one that made me go 'meh'. Drawing small is something I have a hard time with. I could do better with playing around with perspective to help with that a bit. I don't mind constructive critisism, you are somone who has been following my writing and drawing efforts. Your input is welcome and I know it comes from a helpful place. No worries on that friend.
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Still don't like critiquing, even if it is appreciated :)
    Don't remove her cookie! Changing it to an actual cookie would make that encounter even more special :D
    • Like x 1
  5. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Just an update, page 9 down and this is page 10 currently on the table. This is the rough pencils. Line/ink work to come and then will erase the pencils. I do need to adjust the hands. Basically reverse the finger sizes to make it look more correct on the large drawing of Bern.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

The problem with the fingers, is you have them interlaced in the full-shot image, and the cup is way smaller
    • Like x 1
  7. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Duely noted. I am probably gonna fix that. Was trying not to make the cup seem like a 5 gallon bucket given Bern's large build. Gotta love pencils, you can erase with ease. Thanks for the comment friend. I'll probably post the ink/line work when page 10 is ready to come off the table.
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah, and then you run the risk of making it seem like a thimble :p
    Butt, hay, Bern is a big, strong guy, just like Ben Grimm, makes sense he would use large cups :D
    • Like x 2
  9. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Big guy, big cup. I’m in favor :)
    • Like x 1
  10. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hey everyone, just wanted to say that I have been putting together a new Instagram Page. If anyone is interested, you can follow it at:

@DorkArtsStudio

Thanks in advance. Some of the stuff is stuff you may have seen from me posting here. Some of the stuff is new or will be.
    • Like x 1
  11. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hello my forum friends, I have posted this on my instagram page but also wanted to see if any of you creative people might be willing/able/interested in helping me with my project. I am looking for somone who might be able to do some digital coloring work on the book project I am workinng on. I have about 13 pages done that I am looking to be colored so I can then go in an add the dialogue and letters digitally. I am looking to make the book about 30 pages [not including front and back covers]. If you are interested, feel free to contact me here or on my instagram [@DorkArtsStudio].
  12. velvetsanity Loyal Player

I wish I had both the necessary skills and that my job would allow me the time. As it is, I’m probably going to try to commission a friend to do a Daz Studio rendition of a couple of scenes in my story. (She does one of the best, if not *the* best CG webcomics I’ve ever seen.)
    • Like x 1
  13. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Here is page 13's rough pencils. Just wanted to share
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  14. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Finished this one this morning. Hadn't done a group photo in a while but here it is. I feel much better about it than the first one and this will be one of those ones for me that helps me see the progress I have made. Still.....I could have done better if I had taken a little more time one some things. But I feel good about it over all. Time between images is roughly 2 1/2 years.

Before:
    [IMG]
    After:
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  15. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I still have A LOT to do on this. I became very adventerous and picked up a 19x24 pad of bristol board and started a large drawing of Bernie. Here is the initial penicls and line work, the last one is pencils of some of the details I will be going over with a ruler and pen, then on to initial colors. My ruler has had a hell of workout on this one. I need to fix some of the lettering and add stuff to billboards and signes. This will either be a crowning achievement or a total bust. Just wanted to share.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Might need to adjust that building Bernie is on, because going by that third window, that's a mighty narrow apartment building :p
  17. AlienNomad Well-Known Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Much appreciated friend.
  19. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Haha. Thank you for the comment friend. I am sure you know this but I will say it anyway....was just trying to show a little perspective and dimension to the angle of the building is all.
  20. Saami Loyal Player

You are getting better and better with each drawing. Nice to witness how already decent artist grow in front of my own eyes.
    • Like x 1