Why nerf a iconic power when everyone in the game has the ability to choose one?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by NerfEveryone, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Actually, in DCUO, people in the back are often targeted by boss's most damaging attacks. Risk vs. reward is exclusively on a boss by boss basis. Take Solomon Grundy for example. Where is the safe zone to attack him? Both melee and ranged have to watch out just as much for attacks. Same thing with Gentleman Ghost, where ranged actually have it far worse than melee. Black Hand, Per Degaton, The Ultimate Soldier, all attacked melee and ranged with equally damaging results. So why should melee have such a significant boost?

Also, mentioning interrupts and counters doesn't have any validity anymore, at least not where powers are concerned. Or does your celestial get countered when performing a combo? Does rage?

Not calling for nerf this or nerf that, just saying that in this game, due to scripted attacks, ranged and melee usually get punished pretty equally. So not really much reason to reward melee so strongly. Or did the nerf to Earth's jackhammer CC effects really do anything to the damage it's putting out? Many players can't wait to get into melee range, and stay there, lol.
    • Like x 2
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

You forgot weapons. It seems everyone is so attached to AMs/PFtT they forget they're carrying a weapon around!

No, combo powers don't need to worry about counters, that's why rage is now the powerhouse that it is. It can melee uninterrupted, where as you took a hybrid dps and tried that, you'd fall on your back a lot more often. Weapon melee combos aren't on par with rage melee combos and that is the main issue in why no one wants to use a damn weapon.

As for the scripted attacks, you're still safer in the back where you have time to react to something then you are right in the bosses face. Run elite sometime and try to melee at point blank and tell me if you have an easier time surviving then you do standing in the back.
    • Like x 4
  3. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

Team zneak, I agree.
  4. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

Daybreak, you should balance out the powersets first before messing with the iconics. Just a simple oppinion.
  5. Harlequin Devoted Player

All of them.

Yup.

You are aware that encounters can be designed to punish ranged instead of melee, right? I mean, I know the devs of this game don't but surely you can see the glaring design flaws that have fostered your viewpoint, right?
  6. Apollodarkblade21 Well-Known Player

Sodas do need a nerf! How dare they heal 80-100% of health and power pick one or the other. I think they should make over soders like they do pvp you buy one and it last forever.
    • Like x 1
  7. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

I can tell you first hand, rage gets interrupted A LOT.

Raids are the exception because we have tanks dropping immunity for everyone. Outside of raids, I get juggled and focused more than ranged dps. In alerts, the heal may pull more agro, but usually they are on me.

Not sure why everyone thinks rage doesn't get juggled. Countered, no, buut the juggles are a pain. Was the same when I was sorcery WE.
    • Like x 1
  8. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Disagree.
  9. MastaMind Dedicated Player

I think it is a fairly simple answer. It is not performing as they intended it to be. The fact that I am seeing it used by almost every powerset in the game indicates that much. Not everyone has use of the "Burning" PI or wants to pretend they're Superman/Kryptonian. That means that people are using it simply because it hits hard. I know this for a fact because I know people who are using it for that reason. It has nothing to do with the strength of their powerset, having a "good" single target attack, and it is used entirely because it hits harder then everything else. Just because everyone has access to it doesn't legitimize it.

I notice that the OP never replied to this. I am curious as to what powerset they use, and several other questions that will probably be avoided. I mean the fact is that I could go and make a new account right now, and I could come on here claiming to be a day one player. Without a character name to lookup on wavedox.com and zonexus.ca I will have to be skeptical myself. Almost every single person I have ever met in this game has been a day one player despite the fact that most of them don't have the feats that back it up.

The fact that you have to state it makes it questionable. The truth is that you can be a "noob" no matter how long you have played the game. I've learned that much on several other games. I've also learned that typically those who fear such labels, deny it before anyone mentions it, and who don't instantly provide any proof of the matter; are typically the ones who deserve the label. Just saying.

In regards to the rest of the argument here, I don't really care one way or the other about the "nerf". I refuse to use a power just because it hits hard because the fact is that automatically removes any credit you would have received for your damage output. People really don't often give credit in this game, but I find that silence is better then being discredited. Not only that but it has to make you feel bad when you are doing everything cheesy to "Win" a scoreboard, and then you still end up losing despite of it. I know it makes me giggle a bit when I use Sorcery (With nothing but Sorcery moves) and I beat someone using the cheese, and I would imagine that it is the opposite feeling for them.

The thing is that people are assuming things that they do not truly know yet. Technically Earth got "nerfed" and it did not do anything to really change it. It was reasonable and justified. There are still people spamming Jackhammer in every other instance I jump into. Just because something is getting adjusted it does not automatically mean that it is destroyed for good. Regardless of any of our personal feelings about the adjustments being made, the fact is that it is going to happen and complaining about it is not going to change anything.
  10. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Weapon users get juggled AND countered. I swear I spend more time on my back than I do on my feet in most alerts. :-(
    • Like x 1
  11. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

You forget I main a combo power. I'm aware we get interrupted, but not nearly as bad as a melee weapon user who can actually be countered, and your damage blows their damage out the water despite that fact.
  12. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Do you run elite? I don't think you do... There's plenty of mechanics there that punish ranged players and it's still safer to be ranged then it is to melee.

I respect your opinion, but I simply can't agree with it. It's simply not how DCUOs built and trying to build it that way will require another full game revamp, and quite frankly I'm done with game revamps, so let's try to make this one work, please?
  13. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I decided to try a WE build with DW and took it into Panr. I used nothing but WM combos, and while my damage wasn't bad at all, a good rage dps would have destroyed me. I had to constantly stop to reposition myself so I can melee owlman effectively, which hurts your damage a lot (if the tank wasn't moving around so much it might have been easier to do), would have been better to stay ranged that fight cause while the melee combos do hit harder, there's more you need to worry about.
  14. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

It was even harder before they nerfed his reflect in regular xD Yeah you really have to watch for his Elbow drop. Thank goodness standard weapon attacks don’t oneshot in raids post revamp! (Looking at you, Hecate!) The Earth 3 raids really aren’t very melee friendly, the bosses all zip across the room constantly, have AOE standard attacks or both.
  15. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

I know what you run. And I have also played WE. It's really no different. And no, I have yet to see a 50k crit from my powers. Unless I've got berserk up, bow smoke bomb hits that consistently.

I'd have to disagree.

I'll try and post some of my runs tonight with my buddy. He is max CR nature WE. I have yet to blow him out of the water. ;)
  16. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

It's actually not that bad compared to how it was pre-revamp where the boss simply tapped you and you were dead. Now you just have to lean on the healer(s) more, and most of them aren't probably used to healing melee dps so they'll probably think you're just being stupid and stop healing you. Rage has self heals to aid the healer, so they're fine. Combine that with their combos not being vulnerable to counter and it's the reason why it blows any other dps out the water.
  17. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Prime, c'mon. You're going to deny weapons attention because one weapon can crit 50k on RARE occasions? I messed with bow and smokebomb, only way to see a 50k crit is if you're buffed on everything, NVB, trinket, SD, and cola. A rage melee dps with bezerk going has already surpassed that.
    • Like x 1
  18. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Like i said, I'll post a video of our runs tonight.

All those buffs last for about a min, btw, so a min of 50k crit to my 8 sec berserk. I'll let the video speak.
  19. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

NVB doesn't last a minute, it's cooldown is a minute, but the effects wear off halfway through.

A trinket and SD buff both last only 12 seconds.

Prec colas are until you die (or 30 minutes, which ever comes first), and those don't net nearly as much of a damage boost as trinkets or SD's do.

You're still missing my point, that's one weapon out of 11. If you're buddy can take something like dual pistols or shield and out damage a (GOOD) rage dps, then I might reconsider my PoV.
    • Like x 2
  20. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Not sure why a different weapon is needed. If your WE, and not using bow, you should.

And please don't bring up elite, it's all different there.