Test Discussion Episode 28: Update to Rewards

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Mepps, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Hello! Episode 28's vendor gear was enabled on the test server this weekend, prompting feedback and questions centering around the currency costs. We have been reviewing and discussing this feedback, and want to clarify a few things, then share what updates we are making.

Keep reading for the full information, or check out the TL;DR!

TL;DR
    • We spent much of the weekend reviewing feedback related to gear costs.
    • Costs went up because the amount of content, rewards, and currency rewards went up in this episode.
    • We will reduce the War-Bond cost of the Stormtrooper's Helmet, Stormtrooper's Air-Purifying Helmet, and Allied Soldier Helmet by 50%.
    • We will reduce the Mark cost of Gear Mods by 40%.
    Currency and Costs

Many of you expressed concerns that the vendor costs in Episode 28 (in War Bonds) are higher than the vendor costs in Episode 27 (in Ancient Coins). First of all, we found no errors in review. Episode 28 has a different makeup of content (as in, there's more content) that rewards more currency each week - about 70% more. This difference comes from the additional daily alert and additional daily and weekly open world missions.

Generally, costs will increase as the currency rewards increase, so that the number of days played to unlock the rewards stays about the same. This means that, while the number is higher, it does not take more days played to obtain the comparable reward.

For vendor gear specifically, the days to complete remains identical in episodes 27 and 28.

Beyond Vendor Gear (More Rewards)

Many of you also expressed concerns that there are simply more rewards beyond the vendor gear in Episode 28 compared to 27, adding to the total currency needed to obtain all of the rewards in the episode.

More stuff to obtain means more currency needed if you want it all. We view the additional style rewards as last-priority, things that can be earned at any time or after the next episodes have launched. These actually cost less individually in 28, but there are more. We view omnipotence items as a goal for only the most diehard enthusiasts, and do not expect most or even many players to obtain all of them. Their high cost is appropriate for their worth and rarity, and again there are more of them in 28. We do think having more to get in the episode is overall a good thing.

Mods

Many of you also noted the increased costs to mods. Frankly, the mod costs in Episode 27 were vastly lower than intended due to a math error we caught too late. This same error was not repeated in 28, so the mod costs are higher.

Additionally, we did make mods much more valuable by adding the ability to remove a used mod from gear intact, such that when doing so it becomes account bound and usable again. Instead of building a new mod for your next gear piece, you can directly reuse the one you already built. Instead of building a new mod on an alternate character, you can pass your old mod over via the shared bank.

Updates

We have taken all of your feedback into consideration and spent much of the weekend and yesterday in discussions on a variety of options. We have decided to make the following changes for tomorrow:
    • We will reduce the War-Bond cost of the Stormtrooper's Helmet, Stormtrooper's Air-Purifying Helmet, and Allied Soldier Helmet by 50%.
    • We will reduce the Mark cost of Gear Mods by 40%.
    • Like x 9
  2. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Thanks for the post :) Good to see a few reductions at least.

Just a few things though:

1. Will we see Episode 29 this year? This may be of relevance depending on how long you expect people to finish gear etc.
    2. How long was the original intended timeframe for Episode 27, in terms of finishing gear sets?
  3. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Can I ask why Omnipotence items now have 3-star feats attached to them if you "do not expect most or even many players to obtain all of them"?
    • Like x 13
  4. ChillCat Loyal Player

SUPER GREAT!!!
    • Like x 2
  5. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

SUPER GREAT!!!
    • Like x 1
  6. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Also, how you address the fact that replays are now significantly devalued (by up to 70%) since replaying content only gives the normal amount of rewards? Are there any plans to reduce raid replay costs for this DLC?
    • Like x 1
  7. CaptainColdJr007AKAFreeJohnson Committed Player

• Like x 1
  8. Deus Ex Machina Committed Player

9. spack2k Steadfast Player

The 3 different omnipotence collections share same reward icon, therefore players don't know which gear they chasing for, plz fix.
    • Like x 4
  10. Here2Help Devoted Player

Great to see these changes! Can you go into more detail regarding recovering the mods? What sort of kits are needed to ensure that the whole mod comes out of the gear socket? Also touching upon modding, are there still plans in place to ease the transition from Precision to Might in the Stats Revamp?

Slightly off-topic, when will the actual DLC be available? What time frame?

Because not all members are expected to get every single feat in the game, otherwise we would all have the same amount of Skill Points.
  11. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

So instead of reducing the prices of the things that are valuable(Op items), you reduce the prices on the dumb styles? SMH. Only reason to get that style is for the feats associated with them.
  12. CaptainColdJr007AKAFreeJohnson Committed Player

The only problem with that is that it pushes the "skill points are from money" argument to cause more rage threads under gotham discussion. Time capsules and OP items are going to add up to a significant amount eventually assuming this game lasts long enough.
  13. Here2Help Devoted Player

The styles drastically increased the amount of time and marks that was needed to complete the whole vendor. Cutting them down by 50% is a major change and shortens the lifespan of the DLC. This doesn't only mean that the vendor will be completed quicker, but that the next piece of content isn't as far away as previously expected. It's a good change in my opinion.
    • Like x 1
  14. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I understand that, but in the past OP items never had any feat points attached to them. Elite gear still doesn't. Why the change? That's my question. True, I guess your reasoning reflects the same idea behind putting 3-star feats on the materials and gear from Time Capsules, which I'm sure you support as well.
  15. Here2Help Devoted Player

Players will receive a more important boost from the actual OP item instead of the feat leading to the SP. Anyway, this isn't comparable to Time Capsules. Players have a 100% guaranteed way to earn the OP items if they are patient. A person could wait for 5 years using daily stabilisers and still need the TC feats. There's a difference.

As stated above, TCs and OP pieces are completely different. No, I do not support Time Capsulse feats. From your reasoning, I would assume you don't like hard feats in content because then that means not everyone can get them :rolleyes: Look, if you dedicate enough time to obtaining the OP pieces, you can obtain the feats. Simple as. Patience is the key. TCs on the other hand are completely different. It's very possible that you could still be missing the feats in 5 years time even if you logged on daily to get your stabiliser fragments.
  16. SilkyPawz Bunny

Thank you for the update :D

My Questions is do we use the Episode 28 removal kits to get the full gear mod back. Thank you:)
    • Like x 1
  17. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Oh, and the mod changes are very awesome from my point of view, so thanks for that devs.
  18. CaptainColdJr007AKAFreeJohnson Committed Player

You're forgetting about finishing the vendor gear or getting 4 TC drops before the OP item collections even drop from instances to finish the other 10-11 pieces. Unlike op collections, there is a way for a premium player to boost for stabilizers to lower that time frame without hassle. You can't boost op item collections unless you have several toons at 180+ which is a hassle if you don't have them already.
  19. SocratesGS Well-Known Player

I'm not happy at all with these new developments. I do recognize that some things were changed as a result of community feedback, but I don't think it's enough / significant in the grand scheme of things. Is anyone else's finger hovering over the cancel membership button right now?

I don't care about OP items, mostly because I don't need them to be able to out DPS a majority of the 192 pugs that are already on the server. So sure, make those harder to get. What I do care about is the style items being made harder to get. That's what used to be a big plus to this game for me and for someone who has limited time to play this game (meaning I have a full time job & family obligations), I don't want to work when I log onto DCUO, I want to play. Since DCUO changed to monthly content I've felt the pressure that I can only akin to the pressures one feels when they are at work and have a deadline that they must meet. That pressure makes this game less than enjoyable, and I'm only really playing this game because of the friends and fellow league mates that I enjoy socializing with while dealing with this "extracurricular work".
    • Like x 6
  20. Here2Help Devoted Player

And again, finishing the vendor gear and getting 4 TC drops comes with patience. If you want to rush your way to the OP pieces, then yes, it will cost a lot and/or require a lot of luck. Plus, the non-vendor collections for the OP pieces do drop a lot in value. I'm looking at the AF3 OP collections and the prices are a joke. Patience is the key.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.